Why is popping a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have seen multiple threads complaining about atty popping and how to fix it, but why is the popping bad? Does it mean that the atty isn't functioning right or is it a personal preference thing?

Popping is a small explosion inside your atty. The explosion blows apart fibers in your wick and spits juice into the drip tip. The dryer your wick is the more likely it is to overheat and pop. That said, juice in the mouth also happens with a well saturated wick. So, go figure! A new wick/coil fixes it for a while, so a change is probably the remedy when it gets to a certain point.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I have seen multiple threads complaining about atty popping and how to fix it, but why is the popping bad? Does it mean that the atty isn't functioning right or is it a personal preference thing?
Popping is only bad if it results in burned lips from the splatter that results from the pop.... goal is to make the pop more a sizzle.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Okay, this is making more sense to me. Based on what you're all saying what is going on is something between a pop and a sizzle. A sizzley-pop? So long as I'm not destroying the coil or coating the inside of my atty with some indelible gunk that ruins it, I'm okay with it. Thanks very much guys.
You are right on the sound wrong on the rest. ...

Boil a pan of water.... that what you coil is doing to juice... goal is a nice simmer rather than a rolling boil with big bubble of popping fluid.... those pops put juice in your mouth... instead of steam.

Not keeping you atty clean or saving the coil.....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Sizzle is a better word. No sizzle and the coil gunk faster. That is the point of dry burning the coil when replacing the wick. I also notice that my coil resistance will rise .1 ohm if I don't keep the coil clean. I dry burn at about 30 watts and I have a smallish metal wire brush to run between the coils and just do a better job. High watts can break down the metal components of the coil. My coils last 2ish months or into three. Sizzle will keep it from gunking.

Reactions: stols001

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

It doesn't bother me any. It fixes itself the next time I wick it up.

As long as the vapor comes when I push the button, I'm easy.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Popping is a small explosion inside your atty. The explosion blows apart fibers in your wick and spits juice into the drip tip. The dryer your wick is the more likely it is to overheat and pop. That said, juice in the mouth also happens with a well saturated wick. So, go figure! A new wick/coil fixes it for a while, so a change is probably the remedy when it gets to a certain point.
Google Image Result for http://www.mike2.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/brevity11.jpg

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't care for it personally. For one, when it happens it's often unexpected.

Also, just get one little morsel of superheated juice on your lips, it's kind of like the oral equivalent of being hit by lightning or electrocuting yourself.

I have almost fallen out of a chair before, by surprising myself with an unexpected pop. It could have been bad.

But hey, to each their own pet peeves, but I rather much dislike it especially when it is intermittent or unexpected.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Pokeroo

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
That was my first question on ECF, hence the user name "AttyPops"! :lol:

Yep. We used to dry burn them and then wash them out, remember? Any stray water in there would "pop" also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread