Why is the 510 so popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxics

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2009
Detroit MI
Reading these fourms and looking at hardware vendors it seems like everyone uses a 510 and everyone carries 510's. I've even seen some vendors that used to carry KR808D-1's now dropping those models to carry 510's only.

But all I've ever heard about 510's is that they're leaky, they have no throat hit and the battery life is crap. So why are they so popular then compared to say an 808 that has good battery life, good throat hit and uses cartomizers that don't really leak? At least mine never have.

To be honest I started with an 808 from V4L and it's been really good to me. But when my girlfriend decided to buy an e-cig just a couple days ago I recommended the 510 to her because it seems like the trend is moving toward 510 everywhere because they now have cartos. But the battery life is still crap and she doesn't want an ego or big battery mod. Nor does she ever want to use atomizers. So I'm starting to think I made the wrong suggestion to her and that I should have suggested the 808 instead. She's already familiar with it since I use it.

Her 510 Yeti-C cartomizer kit from altsmoke hasn't arrived yet. So neither of us have ever tried a 510. I'm hoping maybe you can offer me some words of encouragement that I gave her the right suggestion. I guess we'll see in a couple days either way.

Even so I'm still preplexed why the 510 is so popular when it seems like the 808 is the perfect e-cig on the market.

Last edited:

jude8753

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2010
PA
I do believe the Riva is on the Ego line so her battery will be bigger than the regular 510 so the battery and hit will be much better and many people love their Riva. I started with the 510 and it kept me off cigs, but I had to upgrade to a bigger mod. I'm really not sure why the 510 is preferred by so many over the 808 though, I tend to like both, but it's easier to use my lr 306's on the 510 since the threads are the same instead of using an adapter with it. I hope she enjoys her Riva when it arrives.

JamBandPhan

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
OR
Maybe it is because it is one of the few that have manual buttons, which allow you to control your puff, instead of relying on the auto batt. I don't know, I am guessing here. I have 510's too, and they do work well enough, I just found they make my VG juice taste burned sometimes. I hope your friend is happy with her purchase too. I know you can get adapters to make the 808 cartos fit the 510 batts (goodprophets has them for 99c each) so it's not a total loss if you find it doesn't work for her as is. The Riva is basically the same as the ego, just a different maker. Don't be too discouraged, if she doesn't like it, somebody in the classifieds might want to take it off your hands.

roxics

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2009
Detroit MI
Sorry I was wrong, she ordered the Yeti-C not the Riva.

She actually prefers the automatic batteries. But had to settle with the manual batts on the 510 because we heard the auto batts are too sensitive on the 510. Whereas I have both manual and auto batts for the 808 and both work good. Right now she's using my 808 auto batt and seems to like it.

I do hope she like the 510 kit. I hope I like it too. I don't want to dislike it. In fact just for fun I ordered an 808 batt to 510 carto adapter from good prophets a couple of days ago, along with a joye 510 atomizer and drip tip because I want to try dripping. The one thing I've heard that's really good about the 510 is the atomizer for dripping.

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I like the kr808 just fine as well, but also recently got a 510 for dripping and generally just to test it out (I actually went overboard on my order...meh). Honestly my 510 is a nice around the house unit..it looks great I went with the Inferno Red...but if I am just going to the store I have just been grabbing the kr808 and putting it in my pocket. It lasts fine for short trips and the like and literally needs nothing besides a battery and 1 cart to go for a couple of hours of running around. No leaking, no strange sound activated batteries that go off in your car for no reason.... the kr808 draws a little warmer and a little harder than the 510, my wife prefers the 510's slightly cooler draw and the ease of draw that manuals provide.

Honestly I think introducing a new vaper to a 510 eGo drip tip as a first purchase is like trying to teach a 9 year old to ride a bike using a 13 speed tour de france bike...

Firefly13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Oklahoma, USA
www.blackvelvetjuice.com
The 808 is the king of the hill for cig sized PV's, i don't ever recommend 510's to anybody, doesn't matter if they have cartos now, like you said, the battery life sucks balls. The 808 used to perform a lot worse to the 510 with the regular Kanger cartos, but now they have the ultra / premium / turbo cartos out, they perform amazingly.

For people who want something bigger, the Riva pretty much wins the whole mid level mod scene right now, with it being available for 30 bux as a regular price at Liberty Flights. I have a 901 Riva, it's ok, but nothing compared to my GGTS, and i know that won't ever be disposable :p

roxics

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2009
Detroit MI
So what's the deal between the riva and the ego? Same thing right? Ones just cheaper I guess. And will the 808 stuff work on the ego\riva?

I can't answer your first question but I know you can get an adapter to go from 510 to KR808D-1 and I've also heard there is some eGo or Riva model you can get that has a native KR808D-1 thread on it so no adapter is needed. I just forget who sell's it.

I mean I guess with all of these cheap adapters and stuff you're never really screwed buying one kit. Because like me I was able to buy an 808 to 510 adapter so I can try out 510 atty's and cartos on my 808 batteries. Same could be true of my girlfriend in reverse. Buying a 510 to 808 adapter so she could use 808 cartos on her 510 batteries. So it sounds like they are all fairly interchangeable to some degree with adapters. But if the 808 batteries are better than the native 510 batteries, she would have been better off starting with 808 batteries. Unless I'm missing something here.

Broseybrose

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
So what's the deal between the riva and the ego? Same thing right? Ones just cheaper I guess. And will the 808 stuff work on the ego\riva?

Riva is better and usually can be found for less than the eGo.

If you use a 510/901 adapter i believe 808s will work; e.g. 901=808 threading.

dg99

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The 510 was always the most recommended for beginners because it is simple, inexpensive, and flat out has the performance needed to kick analogs to the curb. The 510 atomizer is the benchmark in PVs. The downfall to the 510 is, as you know, the battery life. The rise of the eGo and other eGo-style PVs remedy this problem, and open up a whole new game with low resistance atomizers, mega atomizers, and 510 cartomizers. The KR8's claim to fame was its cartomizers (simplicity), and better battery life. Now that all these options have opened up in the 510 line, the KR8's are simply becoming obsolete. Standard 180 mAh 510s are also following suit. Certain eGo-style PVs like the Riva are inexpensive and perform, and if cartos are your thing the 510 ones do not have the notorious burning issues that many KR8 users put up with.

Back in the day, the 510 vs KR8 debate was the hot topic, now with the rise of eGo-Style PVs there is really no reason to deal with the shortcomings of either. I wish you both the best in finding a PV that works for you :)

roxics

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2009
Detroit MI
dg99
I don't think the Kr8 is becoming obsolete. It still gives a true 3.7 volt kick out of a standard size battery. Actually I got a kr8 battery to 510 adapter and it's great. Now I can see why you guys like the 510 atomizer so much, especially with a drip tip. So I guess I answered my own question as to why the 510 is so popular.

As for my girlfriend. She got her Yeti-C kit and seems to like it. So no more stress about that. lol In fact I like to too. It's nice. The cartomizers are also nice for it. Turns out altsmoke includes the mega batteries with that kit, which are nearly as long as my kr8 XL battery. So battery life hasn't been an issue for her. Plus I think she's getting used to the longer size. She just needs to kick analogs completely now. Especially when we're at the bar.

Last edited:
I love my 510. I will say that I use a PCC, and it is a must have for this model, as it eliminates the battery life issue. I just charge the PCC every night. The 510 has fantastic vapor production. Also, TH, heat, and pull are all so subjective that it really depends on the user, YMMV, and go with the model that has the traits you find important. IMHO, a new vaper can't go wrong with a 510, and all veteran vapors should try it eventually.

MichelleDen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
Denmark
Glad to hear she liked it.
There are still many who want the ciggie feel in the hand, myself included.. The kr8 gives that, and IMO gives a much better TH than any 510 reg atomiser. LR attys require larger batts and so ciggie feel is lost. I have 510 end kr8 gear, with adapters to mix all possible ways.
Only use my 510 attys when I have a cold/sore throat and therefore don't want a TH... Use an endcap from 808 carto, instead of cartridge. You can stick thin slices of filler around the bridge and you've sorda' made a little carto ; )

roxics

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2009
Detroit MI
Honestly. I can't tell the difference. The 510 cartos seems to have just as much throat hit at the 808 cartos do. In fact I prefer the 510 cartos. For some reason they just seem to draw easier and hit just as well. I also noticed the that 510 atomizers seems to hit pretty well (at least in the beginning) so I was shocked since everyone says its not as tough as the 808.

My girlfriend loves the draw and vapor of her 510. But she hates the manual batteries. She can't seem to get over that. She would much prefer an automatic, but we've both heard autos for 510's are garbage.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I don't think that many people really love the 510. At least not the STD 510 battery.
What people love is the 510 connection and all the great attys you can get for it. (Cisco Spec LR 510 atty rocks!)

And if it were not for the eGo and all its clones out there you would not hear so many good things about them.

Broseybrose

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I don't think that many people really love the 510. At least not the STD 510 battery.
What people love is the 510 connection and all the great attys you can get for it. (Cisco Spec LR 510 atty rocks!)

And if it were not for the eGo and all its clones out there you would not hear so many good things about them.

If it were not for the eGo and all its clones (and regular 510 starter kits too) I dont think we would be seeing the explosion in vaping popularity either. These are the first devices that are easy enough to use and last long enough and i believe these products are responsible for the boom.

Im a relatively new vaper. Four months ago i bought a standard 510 kit and knew immediately upon trying it that vaping was gonna work for me. A month later I bought a Riva kit for convenience's sake. I have 510 attys, cartos, LR, de-bridged for dripping, whatever. Its all i use and its all i know and its all i need. Everything works with the 510.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread