Why no vent holes on Pure Smoker PVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrockJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
The SB also vents at the switch assembly.

A number of mods do.

I shorted out a 901 (main reason I hardly ever use them anymore) and had a short.
My batts got really hot but never vented or popped. I unscrewed the adapter, threw it in the freezer and recharged and still use the batts. I actually think it made the batts better :lol: They last forever and charge faster then any other set I have.
I marked them so I'd know which ones they were...

BrockJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
I noticed if I have it screwed all the way on theres no air flow going out the switch.

Loosen it up a tiny bit and theres air flow.

I saw that old post btw.

I'm taking about vent holes though.

You let a battery pop in that tube and their will be plenty of airflow around the switch assembly. It's not an airtight pressure vessel.
It would vent instantly like a balloon to a neeedle.

Same reason there are no PV's with built in MP3 players.
There's not any becasue they didn't put any in it.
There's no rhyme or reason. There just isn't.
Lotsa MODS don't have vent holes and the PS line is one of those.

I don't know where you'd put them in this configuration. I don't think the tail cap would serve a purpose. They almost need to be on the sides and you would have to have some wiggle room inside the tube for expansion of the gas to get to the holes.

Vent holes would probably just turn it into a bottle rocket.

I think another cool way to allow gas expansion would be to flute the outside of the tube like a gun barrel so it would split (or fail) along the fluted lines. It would be a quicker release of gas and not form a jetting action....
It'd work well on stainless because stainless tends to tear or rip rather than fragment.

Now, if the batteries direct short and explode, I don't think anything is going to keep you from harm on that one.

No matter how you designed it there are some people that wouldn't like it for one reason or the other. People want them as small as possible with no wiggle room in the battery compartment and then complain about no venting / failure features.

If drilled / fluted / vented PV's are something you want, just look for a manufacturer that makes them and buy that one.

I don't have a single PV in my collection that's drilled and so far have never needed one.

This vent hole / battery thing is turning into the "what if scenario".
It's going on in the High End Flashlight mod arena also.

When you look at how many PV's and HV MOD flashlights are on the market and how few problems have been reported the numbers are as small as your chance of getting struck by lightning.
I can live with those odds.
People that can't should smoke cigarettes or use candles.

Rotaryfeen

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Millbrae, Ca.
You know the button that you press to make the thing work. The little slit between teh button and the button assembly that holds it in place. Yeah I think that is where it vents from. If you really want a vent holes drill 1. Doubt anyones else would ruin the nice design. OH remember to go to the SB forums and complain about no vent holes to. :)

Last edited:

New_World

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
When you look at how many PV's and HV MOD flashlights are on the market and how few problems have been reported the numbers are as small as your chance of getting struck by lightning.

I know someone who was struck by lightning 3 times.
how weird is that? lol its true though.

But I agree, its very unlikly.

I think we will see more PVs in the future with more safety features.

It does vent through the switch, but truthfully, I don't know how a battery works and how the explosion happens ect.

I just know not to abuse my batts and other basic info.
I think a multimeter is a must and even if you're not concerned about safety of your batteries its great to know how much juice is left in there.

mctriple

Jan 30, 2009
Florence, AL
When you look at how many PV's and HV MOD flashlights are on the market and how few problems have been reported the numbers are as small as your chance of getting struck by lightning..

Part of that, I'm sure, is that not everybody runs outside climbing trees during a lightning storm. It would be great to see more safety features. Otherwise, that's not entirely far off from what many people are doing with their PV. Sure, they may not get struck, but they're not staying indoors where the possibility is far less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread