Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
This is a good thread on DIY with some feedback and some responses with recipe tweaks.

Recipes for Dummies

I just made three out of that thread and they are steeping, once they hit a topper I plan to go back and leave my thoughts.....or at least thank the folks that supplied the recipes.

I have high hopes for fruit rollups ;)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Marc411 - You beat me to it...suggesting the Recipes for Dummies thread, for not only recipes, but also some feedback, tweaks, etc..

The OP might want to check out the TFA thread also. There are hundreds of recipes scattered throughout it, as well as comments and tweaks there, too. I'm kind of surprised I had to go back to page 4 of DIY to even find it though. There have been no new posts since July 18th. :?:

The Flavor Apprentice Flavoring Thread

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
I'm guilty of not posting feedback - then again - I rarely post. I do post up a recipe from time to time that strikes me - just to share - but never consider if anyone else makes it or even likes it. I don't care for most "complex" or multi-flavoring recipes I see posted because most of them contain to a larger degree fruits. I don't care for "fruity" vapes.

Mostly when I'm browsing around looking at recipes - I like to read why people use the flavors they chose. That's important I think. I may not care for the entire recipe but if someone touches on a particular flavoring and explains why they chose that to add to their mix - I may consider that flavoring for myself.

Example:

I wanted to add a sweetness that was not sugary and not just higher percent flavoring. I was making a Strawberry custard for a friend. I read some recipes that added Raspberry at 1% because it was suppose to make the Strawberry "pop". It did. The person loved it. Before the mix was flat.

Those are what I look for in recipes. Also, since Nov. last year I have been mixing only 10ml - 20ml bottles of juice at a time. I don't mix for steeping (shake & vape ftw). If something is steeped (aged) at my house it's because I forgot about it or it fell behind something and got lost.

I'm also an unorthodox mixer. I use drops most of the time and if I grab a flavor I may decide I want to add a few drops of "whatever" and roll with it...I just can't be fussed to drag out a lab when I need to mix up juice. I keep a base of 12mg pg/vg unflavored in 1000ml bottles so my nic may end up at 12mg (unflavored I keep on hand) or land somewhere around 8mg (my peanut brittle) or I fill a 10ml bottle half with the 12mg base and half VG for hubs 6mg base (shhh...don't tell him - he thinks I actually work to make his juices!).

Thing is - DIY is so personal and individual that it would be hard for me to give opinions on others mixes - and I know if I mix it myself - I will certainly change something about it. I'm just so grateful to those that came long before me share their mixes and ideas and most of all their journey. I share mine so that others can know there is no wrong way to enjoy DIY :)

vape on

spindrift61

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Thanks, well Mark411 was thinking maybe there could be maybe a separate thread or column, not sure what we call it as I am new in posting on internet, a review of recipe's. Just maybe someone has an idea about that. A moderator maybe? Thanks for sharing your thoughts. MsLoud...shame on you! Just joking and thanks for putting your self out there as well. I believe many could possibly agree they have done the same on not replying and I am in that camp as well. Another member also brought up the fact that it may offend the recipe maker and he/she had a great point. When I brought this post up it was more of a rant and after I posted it I was kind of concerned I even wrote it as I did not want to be hated for it. But just maybe some agree and if some or many did try to leave a review it could be beneficial for us. Don't know, at the very least it is out there now and I am at least relieved I have not written an improper post as I am new and still learning membership etiquette.

Reactions: MsLoud

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Since you were looking for Blueberry recipes, I updated in my recent(ish) Blueberry thread on an early report of a recipe I tried. (Not exactly a "review" -- it's a creamy blueberry recipe that tastes good to me, not really a great deal more I can say about that).

I'll also point out this comment by PapawBrett on a blueberry cheesecake recipe in that great Recipes for Dummies thread.

spindrift61

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Well thanks tazzle, going to your recipe right now as I have not made one yet. It was on my "to do list today". Sounds like that is what I am looking for...a creamy Blueberry recipe. I like Blueberry but, was not sure if I should add a cheesecake or make it cream or maybe a custard and such. So why not give yours a try. Have most flavors so let me have a look-see. Thanks. And if I do make it I will be sure to leave a review or else I would be a very hated person on ECF, seeing I just wrote a post about it.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I pretty much ignore the DIY section here since I can't link recipes from the DIY site I use.

Still doesn't prevent you from sharing recipes. I know of the site you are mentioning and if you knew the full story, you'd understand why linking is not permitted here. In fact, the reason why isn't hidden on ECF. Just takes a bit of creative searching to find out why.

I'm sad to hear that...being a veteran Diy'er I bet you have some great recipe's. So where would I find some of your recipe's to try?

He could share if he really wanted to. There's absolutely no reason why one can't share without linking anything. The DIY Recipe forum has tons of recipes. The vast majority have no links in them at all.

spindrift61

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
oh sorry guys, did not want to stir up a hornet's nest. I was under the impression it was a thread here in one of the other threads. If it is another site all together I think or no...I understand why it is not permitted. And just a comment....I already stated in my 1st post in ECF last week that although I was new here that I was not a stranger. I visited ECF bazillion times before joining. But, visited other sites bazillion times. ECF was and is the first site I have ever registered for and joined a forum. It just isn't me, not sure why. I know huh!...me with a page of writing every time I want to say something.... But all joking aside, I want a one-stop place where I can go to find out about devices and recipe's and everything about vaping. I can honestly say that I have not gone to other vaping sites that I use to frequently visit since joining ECF. I don't think the other sites are missing me...but it is a fact. And it is a reason probably why other sites should not or can not be talked about. The developers of this site along with the moderators as well as the members want everyone to think of ECF as the place they go for anything vaping related besides purchasing goods.

spindrift61

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Still doesn't prevent you from sharing recipes. I know of the site you are mentioning and if you knew the full story, you'd understand why linking is not permitted here. In fact, the reason why isn't hidden on ECF. Just takes a bit of creative searching to find out why.

He could share if he really wanted to. There's absolutely no reason why one can't share without linking anything. The DIY Recipe forum has tons of recipes. The vast majority have no links in them at all.

Ya, I am definitely not a fighter and not going to be a problem here Sir's. But, I think my 2 pitbulls can take your 1 pitbull. Secret tho....1 is 14 and the other is 16 yrs old! Don't tell them that...they think they are still puppies.

spindrift61

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Two recipe's mixed today and two reviews given. See that wasn't so hard. Both reviews for a Blueberry recipe from tazzle and PapawBret. Thanks to both. I do understand however that not everyone has the time for reviews due to busy schedules. So "get out of jail cards" are available. As long as some of us try then maybe it could help others and it just may keep just one more person on this site instead of going somewhere else. Wait a minute ECF IS the only site for anything and everything vaping.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Just speaking for myself as a fairly new DIYer, I am reluctant to give negative feedback on a recipe. I am convinced, right or wrong, that no matter how much I dislike a mix, there is likely somebody out there who might find it to be their Holy Grail of a mix. I would hate to even think my opinion contributed to their decision not to even give it a try. I try to follow that belief with store bought juice and gear as well. But I will give positive feedback on what I've tried and liked, like I've done with a few recipes others have suggested.

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
I feel the same when discussing "steeping" or "ageing" mixes. I have yet to be compelled to do so and in fact - in my experience with my mixes - ageing has a negative effect. Now, when I say ageing - I mean for months not days and weeks - yes, I will agree mixes can meld together after a short open top breather and sit on the shelf. But when I did take my ADV and let a 30ml sit for 47 days before trying it - I was let down by how different - and not in a good way to me - the taste changed.

Some folks enjoy a long steep and quite rightly so - same as I mix and enjoy a more shake and vape mix. I've been so grateful others came before me with different opinions and tactics that it made my journey easier and faster getting to where I find enjoyment in DIY.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Yes it's cheap to make and try a recipe, but there are reasons to limit it. Currently my DIY ejuice bottle sequence is up to #105 (some numbers retired) and that doesn't get into that some don't use a dripper to try flavors without bothering to change wicks. The total effort can be significant and adds up.

As to why I haven't reviewed any recipes, I haven't tried any, just not interested in all the fruity junk etc. that seems most popular. I can say most of them look highly overflavored.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 22, 2015
    Somewhere in the South
    Yes it's cheap to make and try a recipe, but there are reasons to limit it. Currently my DIY ejuice bottle sequence is up to #105 (some numbers retired) and that doesn't get into that some don't use a dripper to try flavors without bothering to change wicks. The total effort can be significant and adds up.

As to why I haven't reviewed any recipes, I haven't tried any, just not interested in all the fruity junk etc. that seems most popular. I can say most of them look highly overflavored.
    I also haven't reviewed any recipes, due to a allergy. The diy I use I learned from YT and that part was only for dissolving crystals in PGA. I do like the idea of a review but like others say, taste is subjective.

Reactions: MsLoud
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread