Why pay well over $100 for a mech when a clone of it is a fraction of the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevyrus

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
new york
Is it really worth 5-10x the money (some cases even more) to get an original vs the clone? is the GG really 14x better than the kts ($246 vs $17)? is the empire mod really 5x better than the k-100 ($129 vs $23)? Is the sentinel v3 really 10x better than its clone ($180 vs $17)? i know the materials and look are better and a lot of people have plenty of money to burn, but how does it all affect the vape experience? Is there something i am not seeing? The only thing that would make sense is if the clones were known to breakdown sooner, but i find that hard to believe as they are all mechanical. Someone please enlighten me. I don't want to hear any talk about the morality issue of buying clones however, as it does not affect me presently.

Absintheur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
north central Indiana
As I have said before, China owns enough of my country without me voluntarily sending them my money. Somethings I have to buy from them but I won't own a device who's design was stolen from it's creator.

And from the reviews I have seen the clones seldom work as well without a bunch of fiddling...

Absintheur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
north central Indiana
People who buy the clones talk about replace/modding the contacts, the springs, how to cure misfires, etc. When I buy a mod I expect it to work perfectly from day one and I expect to me able to return it to the manufacturer if there is a problem...can't do that with a China clone.

As a Vet the moral part is very important to me as well...

xpl0it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
Miami, FL
If 'walmart' is in your budget than stick with them. Personally I prefer the finer things in life, Saks Fifth, Nordstroms, Michael Kors etc. You could argue that the $5 dollar shirt at walmart functions in the same way as the $200 shirt at the designer retailers. May even come across those that can't tell the difference. Well I'm not one of those people....

Imagine proposing the same question to your wife or girlfriend on say a purse. I know if I tried to convince my wife to buy a knock-off purse I'd be sleeping in the shed for years. There is no way that anyone can convince me the knock-off is of the same quality as the authentic.

In the end though stick with whatever works for you in keeping you away from tobacco.

Last edited:

Larzis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2013
Cedar Park, TX
I had a chance to try a K-100 and an Empire before purchasing. Ended up waiting my time and grabbing an Empire. Build quality was my main factor.... Pretty sure the Empire is built from Ancient Alien technology. If I ever have a problem with it I can reach out to Empire mods and feel confident they will help me out, so that was a plus too.

As far as costs, I can totally understand people having limited means/money/etc. What I do NOT understand nor care for are the people who give me an attitude about spending so much on a mod, while at the same time sit there with 500 plus in knockoffs.

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
From a vendor who stopped carrying the sigelei 19 because it's crap without work put into it, even if that work is relatively simple

Its important not to reward manufacturers by justifying and buying product that really should be fixed. The bigger picture is that these are simple fixes yet they go ignored. This is not 2009 anymore and there is really is no excuse from an R&D perspective. This is not a QC issue its a serious design flaw and when you buy these products your saying its O.K. keep slinging them out.

This is the response I get for more than one company when I complain, paraphrased “We don’t need to fix it we sell thousands of pieces all over the world and everyone is happy, maybe you are just too picky”

rvh414

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
San Antonio
People who buy the clones talk about replace/modding the contacts, the springs, how to cure misfires, etc. When I buy a mod I expect it to work perfectly from day one and I expect to me able to return it to the manufacturer if there is a problem...can't do that with a China clone.

As a Vet the moral part is very important to me as well...

Agree! Cheap materials and flimsy utilize parts are used. I'd rather purchase something that is well built and feels good in hand. Not something that has no weight to it and feels cheap. I know that everyone's financial situation is different so I am only speaking for myself. I prefer quality rather than quantity. If that means I have to wait and save so be it.

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
Which doesn't mean don't buy it if it is all you have the means to get at that point but at least buy the nicer china stuff.

And US made Legacy's show up in the classies for as little as 60 bucks. So before dropping 30-60 on a china mech, consider perusing the used market. Hell, the legacy new is less than $100.

thevyrus

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
new york
I totally understand the people who have 10 different clones and have spent over 200 bucks to do so, but one solidly built original has it's own charm and could last longer than all those clones, i guess. Im just having a hard time getting past the economical side of it, which is my main point.

the three mods i have coming in the mail have all gotten very very nice reviews (without much additional modding done to them) from what i've seen here on the forums and youtube: the k100, the new kts flattop, and the sentinel v3 clone (not as many reviews on this mod). I personally think it's awesome to have a variety of designs and modes at my disposal all for under 60 bucks.

the "feel" the "look" and this and that are nice, yes, but they do not dictate why i get a particular device. I did not get the vamo for it's sex appeal, it just damn well and i love it. cost me 27 bucks, and i dont think the provari is going to perform 6x better.

I feel that mods have ventured more into the realm of fashion...high-end designer mods, rare mods and the whole "mod envy" that people get oogling over others' setups. I mean, it is clearly no longer about what kept us from picking up analogs, it is no longer about just getting a good vape, it's no longer just about the juice and it's delivery...

and just on durability: i know a lot of hondas and toyotas that have gotten the same if not more miles on them than bmws, porsches etc.

thevyrus

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
new york
when talking about PERFORMANCE alone, what is the main thing people refer to? is it the voltage drop/voltage under load? that's what i would imagine is the "key" to performance, i could be way off. But even browsing the forums, people have test voltage drops on these clones and they are very very comparable, in some cases better than some of these high-priced designer mods.

thevyrus

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
new york
If 'walmart' is in your budget than stick with them. Personally I prefer the finer things in life, Saks Fifth, Nordstroms, Michael Kors etc. You could argue that the $5 dollar shirt at walmart functions in the same way as the $200 shirt at the designer retailers. May even come across those that can't tell the difference. Well I'm not one of those people....

I appreciate that xpl0it, i am definitely one of those people who can tell the difference, but do not care for the more expensive stuff if there is a cheaper near-identically performing alternative. I am not about brands and designer apparel, but i have family and friends who are all about that kind of thing, and i TOTALLY understand. I am just not one to spend more on just a "name," especially when it comes to vaping. and the difference between a fancy mech and a fancy shirt or watch is that 99% of people will pick up that you are wearing a pricey shirt or watch before they notice the rare brand of mechanical mod you have, i would imagine.

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Is it really worth 5-10x the money (some cases even more) to get an original vs the clone? is the GG really 14x better than the kts ($246 vs $17)? is the empire mod really 5x better than the k-100 ($129 vs $23)? Is the sentinel v3 really 10x better than its clone ($180 vs $17)? i know the materials and look are better and a lot of people have plenty of money to burn, but how does it all affect the vape experience? Is there something i am not seeing? The only thing that would make sense is if the clones were known to breakdown sooner, but i find that hard to believe as they are all mechanical. Someone please enlighten me. I don't want to hear any talk about the morality issue of buying clones however, as it does not affect me presently.

The answer is... "It depends"...

One thing I like about this forum is it's diversity. We have everyone from broke as hell college kids to multimillionaires, all sharing the same space and exchanging ideas. That doesn't mean they are buying the same products.

It boils down to what appeals to you and what you can afford. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a great vape if that's all you're after. Many of the "China clones" can be modded into superstars with just a little elbow grease and some know how.

There are those, however, that are looking for a bit more than that. They want something also looks and feels like a piece of art and they're willing & able to pay for it.

I'm by no means anywhere close to being in the millionaire category but I am fortunate enough to be able to afford a few nice PVs. I justify the expense based on the fact that I use these things all day every day. I not only want something that can provide the best vape possible, I also want something that feels good in my hand and is pleasing to the eye.

Just my 2 cents...

Larzis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2013
Cedar Park, TX
You know, I have seen this topic come up many times on the forum, and generally ends the same way... A camp who will tell you the high end stuff is worth it and people are silly for buying the knockoffs, and the camp who will tell you buying high end is silly and all about being in fashion.

All I can tell you is what I have experienced. Provari vs Vamo? Had both, Provari was much better and the Vamo was best bang for the buck. Empire vs K100? Empire felt more solidly built with smooth threads and clean machining while the K100 is easier to obtain.

For me, the higher end mods just tend to be built better and will last me longer. Should I decide for some reason to resell it I can get my money back easily enough.

I will add that not all high end mods are fashion statements or whatever, that is dictated more by whatever people have chosen to be the "It" mod. Take the GP 2.5 series. Hard to get? They can be but have rolled out fairly regular. One of the nicest buttons around, good solid build, and backed by one of heck of a standup guy in Perseas. I have had my GP LUX for around a month now and I know if I had an issue pop up today I could contact him and he would do his best to help me. China mod? Lucky if I would get a 30 day backing on anything.

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
You know, I have seen this topic come up many times on the forum, and generally ends the same way... A camp who will tell you the high end stuff is worth it and people are silly for buying the knockoffs, and the camp who will tell you buying high end is silly and all about being in fashion.

All I can tell you is what I have experienced. Provari vs Vamo? Had both, Provari was much better and the Vamo was best bang for the buck. Empire vs K100? Empire felt more solidly built with smooth threads and clean machining while the K100 is easier to obtain.

For me, the higher end mods just tend to be built better and will last me longer. Should I decide for some reason to resell it I can get my money back easily enough.

I will add that not all high end mods are fashion statements or whatever, that is dictated more by whatever people have chosen to be the "It" mod. Take the GP 2.5 series. Hard to get? They can be but have rolled out fairly regular. One of the nicest buttons around, good solid build, and backed by one of heck of a standup guy in Perseas. I have had my GP LUX for around a month now and I know if I had an issue pop up today I could contact him and he would do his best to help me. China mod? Lucky if I would get a 30 day backing on anything.

Everything you said about the PAPS 2.5 LUX and Perseas is dead on the money. Fantastic mod and fantastic guy! I also feel the same about the P+ & ELA and Dave at Super-T.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Some of it is status, sure, but there is often also better manufacturing and manufacturer support. And of course the economic considerations as far as where your money goes.

One thing I think is that it's a mistake to look at one as "x times" more expensive than another and expect to get that "x times" more performance or value. It's usually fairer to just look at the dollar amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread