Why some vendors don't mention Batteries Amp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rzil

May 6, 2014
Israel

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Both are receiving good user reviews. AW has been around for a long time. Biggest problem with either is avoiding Fakes so only buy from a trusted vender.
Remember - abusing any battery can lead to failure. Know the limits and leave ample head room.
If it is rated for 10 amp don't build to 10 amp draw - 9amp max, but 8amp or less is better. :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
by Ohm law , we also need to know the current so how come for example
Efest IMR 18650 2000mAh Flat Top 3.7V Rechargeable LiMn Battery

they didn't write the amp of it ? I see it in many sites , how do I know if that's what i want ?

Not Listing Detailed Battery Specs is something that Kinda Ticks Me Off. Especially as a Read More and More Threads/Post from New Vapers who want to go with Lower and Lower Ohms.

I also don't think it would be All that Difficult for a Seller to post on their site a Little Information about Calculating Amps and General Battery Info.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Check this thread for the specs on that battery. It's 10C according to a post there. That would make the maximum safe continuous discharge rate 20A. Calculate that by multiplying the 2000mah rating by 10 (the C rating). The 2000mah rating means that it would last for an hour at a 2 amp continuous discharge rate. Vapers do that intermittently, but it adds up over time and is affected by the recovery rate between vapes.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/492830-locating-c-rating-my-batteries.html

10 (C rating) * 2 (2000mah)=20 amps

There are several amp ratings with batteries. The most important is probably the C-Rating, which is the safe zone for continuous use. Max ratings are there to keep people from blowing themselves up (if they actually read the specs and abide by them).

Here's a significant test chart that show performance ratings for lots of popular batteries. lMR is noted where applicable. There are charts in that link showing the number of hours at various discharge rates. It's worth a close examination. There's lot of info there if you take the time to understand what the charts are telling us.

Battery test-review 18650 summary

The link below is an explanation of what the C-rating means. It's a number that when multiplied by the battery's MAH rating gives you the maximum continuous discharge amperage the battery will safely withstand.

https://www.commonsenserc.com/page.php?page=c_ratings_explained.html

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yup I don't get it , Amp is a major issue here , perhaps when they mean it's a standard of 10A who knows?

by the way I'm conflicted between efest and AW

AW IMR 18490 Battery

Efest IMR 18500 1000mah 15amp Flat Top Battery

Until sub-ohm vaping came into being, a battery's amp rating was relatively unimportant. The spec that everyone looked for was capacity or mAh rating, which gave an estimation on how long the battery could be expected to work between charges.

With sub-ohm vaping, the continuous discharge rating in amps has become more important than the mAh rating. Battery manufacturers and vendors have not provided this info voluntarily, although it seems some vendors and manufacturers are beginning to see the importance and adding this info to their spec sheet. Keep in mind that sub-ohm vaping is still just a niche market in the grand scheme of the world's battery market.

While researching for my blog Battery Basics for Mods, I had not found a resource which listed all the high-drain IMR batteries with their mAh and amp ratings, so I set out to make one myself. I quickly found out how difficult it was to find the amp rating for different batteries. Most manufacturers and resellers list the mAh rating on their spec sheet, but finding the amp rating was very hit or miss (mostly a miss). After a month of searching online, I gathered what I believe to be current and accurate battery specs for the most common IMR and IMR hybrid batteries used in vaping.
_____

18490/18500 IMR batteries:

AW 18490 1100mah 16.5 amps

Efest 18490 1100mah 8.8 amps (red)

Efest 18500 1000mAh 15 amps (purple)

* Personally, I'd choose an AW battery over an Efest any day of the week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread