Why the Jull is what a new to vaper would want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
If you’re trying to quit smoking, then you need to treat a vaporizer like you would a cigarette. You wouldn’t smoke a cigarette in your office, maybe not in your car, not in the house, etc. You should only vape when you would normally smoke. The issue I see is people vape everywhere. Inside, outside, restaurants, airplanes. You’re actually taking in more nicotine that you would smoking a cigarette. As we all know, nicotine is very addicting, So I’m guessing the more you take in, the greater the cravings are. I use my Juuls during the day. At night I switch to my SMPO or Breeze because they have less nicotine and I don’t want to be jacked up all night.

Well I also smoked in all those places. I am old enough to remember when smoking was allowed almost anywhere. Airplanes, workplace, restaurants, bars, etc. Used to be you could and people did even smoke in hospitals.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
There are refillable pod systems and plenty of high Nicotine salt in commercial juice that would cost much less.
Indeed, that's true. But is that really a primary consideration to a smoker, who is used to spending somewhere between $5 and $25 a day on his habit already? A goodly number of people are not all that price conscious, otherwise they'd all be rolling their own cigs, and Starbucks wouldn't exist. As long as it doesn't cost more than the smoker's existing habit (and it doesn't), the high price of the pods probably aren't a big barrier.

Doesn't produce much visible vapor and can sneak a vape with it.
The fact that it can be used pretty discreetly is probably one of the reasons the ANTZ find it so threatening. "OMG! People might use this were we've already prohibited smoking and vaping!" Yeah, they might, and nobody should care.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Used to be you could and people did even smoke in hospitals.
Yup. I've been hospitalized precisely one time in my life, in the 1970s, due to an injury. Smoking in your room was entirely acceptable as long as the other person in the "semi-private" room didn't mind.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    This merely proves my point. You want to increase the nicotine beyond what you would normally be able to tolerate. How pray tell is this a good thing?its certainly a more addictive thing but that is not the same as good.

When I started vaping, I found even 12 mg at low power to be harsh. Juul maybe would still have been too much for me and I consider higher nicotine to not help with whole tobacco cravings, but still being able to a get a bit more with less harshness would have been good. I still find 12 mg rather intense, in a good way except I don't want that much nic anymore or to vape that little.

I heard from a guy working at a vape shop that there are some people that have reactions to base nicotine at any level, but not with salts nicotine. I don't know if that's true but it seems possible that salts are more natural to the body not like something "added" to the nic.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2014
    Las Vegas
    The throat hit and choking is what turns a lot of people off of vaping in the beginning. If juul is a way for people to get off cigarettes then that is a good thing. Instead of comparing it to other types of vape products, compare it to cigarettes which are the #1 cause of preventable death.

VapeAficianado

Jul 12, 2018
    I started vaping with the clearomizers and ego devices many years ago when they were first introduced. The nic delivery was not satisfactory to me and so I stopped vaping. Earlier this year when I stopped at the gas station to buy a pack of smokes, the attendant persuaded me to take a drag from his juul device. Quite frankly, I was astonished. It was smooth, tasted good, and most importantly -I felt the nicotine absorption immediately. I bought the juul starter pack and slowly but surely quite the cancer sticks for good. I think cigs taste nasty in comparison to some nice e-juice now. Nic salts have been a game changer for me. I still use my juul as a portable back up when on the go, and it is my preferred pod system device. The draw I get from it is nice and I like the form factor.

Xedus

Jul 25, 2018
    Missouri
    Just from a personal stand point the Juul helped me quit smoking. The hit was ok not like a real cigarette but with a little self will I got past the urge to smoke a cigarette. After about a month and noticed the cost, I decide to move to a tank system. I like it, yes it's an expensive upstart. Especially when you dont know what liquid you'll like. I have bottle sitting in a drawer that I want use because it's too sweet or just dont like the flavor. But I think in the long run tank systems or rda will be cheaper. But all in all it helped it quit smoking.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    It doesn't have to be expensive at all with a tank system. I use mostly RTA and building coils costs at most a couple cents worth of wick material and wire.

It took a long time to get it down to where I liked it making my own juice. I use Nicotine Salts and have around 4 mixes I use mostly as they are my preferred. I do have a few others I like and use occasionally. I also still experiment with new flavorings. The cost to make a 60 ml bottle of juice is around $1.50. Very inexpensive though the main reason for mixing is I have a better idea what is in the juice and can keep it consistent.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Just from a personal stand point the Juul helped me quit smoking. The hit was ok not like a real cigarette but with a little self will I got past the urge to smoke a cigarette. After about a month and noticed the cost, I decide to move to a tank system. I like it, yes it's an expensive upstart. Especially when you dont know what liquid you'll like. I have bottle sitting in a drawer that I want use because it's too sweet or just dont like the flavor. But I think in the long run tank systems or rda will be cheaper. But all in all it helped it quit smoking.
    1) Getting off the smokes is priceless.

2) Using a tank system can be darn close to free if you mix your own juice. The cost of my DIY ingredients come to about $5.00 a month.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Where do you buy your mixing supplies? And does it require steeping?
    I use Bull City Vapor and Wizzard Labs. There is also Nicotine River in addition to a host of others.

Steeping is not required, but you would probably find that many recipes are better if allowed to steep 1 - 4 weeks. Some recipes and flavors are good to vape immediately. For me, the trick is to find recipes that fit my flavor palate. If I mix 10 different recipes, I may end up with only a couple that I would consider making again. There is a fair amount of trial and error.

You can learn more here: DIY E-Liquid

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Like any other vape skill so to speak, it does require some startup costs, experimentation, and trial and error as you learn the process, but once you get reasonably proficient the cost of juice does go down a great deal. The DIY board has some great resources starting out and there are many vendors for everything including flavors, many folks find a few vendors they particularly like and stick mainly to those, but overall it is a cost savings.

Anna

Gahh

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2013
    Bay Shore LI NY
    If you’re trying to quit smoking, then you need to treat a vaporizer like you would a cigarette. You wouldn’t smoke a cigarette in your office, maybe not in your car, not in the house, etc. You should only vape when you would normally smoke. The issue I see is people vape everywhere. Inside, outside, restaurants, airplanes. You’re actually taking in more nicotine that you would smoking a cigarette. As we all know, nicotine is very addicting, So I’m guessing the more you take in, the greater the cravings are. I use my Juuls during the day. At night I switch to my SMPO or Breeze because they have less nicotine and I don’t want to be jacked up all night.
    Getting back to your reply a bit late.
    You are right on the money with your thoughts.
    I carry my mod around like a baby carries his binky.
    When cigarettes went past $7.00 per pack, I figured out how to beat the high cost by making my own.
    With the pre-made filter and tubes and 1 pound of tobacco, I could make over 2 cartons of cigarettes in 3 hours.
    This brought me to the point of smoking nearly 3 packs a day.
    At .90 cents per pack, I was saving enough money to get a deluxe coffin. LOL

Gahh

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2013
    Bay Shore LI NY
    I reluctantly place the Juul in the harm reduction category but not by MUCH. It's certainly beloved by a certain subsection of vapers who can afford it, who like it, and it is PROBABLY safer than smoking, but honestly, it has its issues.
    1) Cost
    2) Currently VERY high level of benzoic acid nic salts, which would not be my preferred way to convert nic salts.
    3) Proprietary meaning ONLY they know what "things" they can add to "increase flavor" would probably be the way I would put it, although for all *I* know, they may be fine, but I certainly can't tell as they are PROPRIETARY. I for sure know what I'm putting in my DIY creations.
    4) Flimsy, low power (probably the reason they can get away with a 50 mg/ml concentration.
    5) May lock in a new vaper to a closed pod system (although I guess you can get cloned empty pods now) but a new vaper won't know this OR have access to the many nice things about vaping, like variety, ability to adjust wattage levels, decreased cost, etc.
    6) Finally, my son quit vaping, got stressed, and returned to vaping via a Juul. He quit with a sub0hm device. With the Juul he had a bear of a time, and actually has FINALLY returned to a sub0hm device, but it was much harder for him to even get back to THERE.

Nic level does matter, and a super high nic level MAY make sense if struggling with cigarette use (bumping up my nic has certainly helped ME, that's for sure, as I transition away from cigarettes the second time, but that is under MY control and desire and no one else's. Etc.

I'm not saying the Juul is bad, necessarily but it is NOT cheap, and can keep users locked in to a "certain" way to vape, I'm not sure that's a good thing at all.

However, I continue to reluctantly place it on the harm reduction "spectrum" because it is, indeed, better than smoking.

I do not believe it is the "best" device to quit smoking, but frankly, it is really up to the person. But, I'll never be a Juul apologist, to say the least.

Anna
    I picked up a cigarette after vaping for so long and gradually went back to smoking a few cigarettes a day.
    I'm thinking the low 3mg nicotine, high VG juice and cloud chasing was part of the reason I went back for a few cigarettes.
    When my son turned me on to the Jull, the hit was satisfying with out the big cloud. So I researched nic salt, ordered 120ml bottle of 100mg, and mixed up some 35-40mg coffee flavored juice.
    Cleaned up an old EVOD tank and built the old simple 30ga /1.5mm 5 wrap coil and wow, it was tasting great and hitting 3 times better than the Jull my son gave me.
    Amazingly the old iLeaf Basic with a 2300mah built in battery still works great.
    Also, I've been using some high mg CBD juices which I cut with PG to around 250mg and this has added to my newest vaping experience.

Reactions: stols001

Gahh

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2013
    Bay Shore LI NY
    I think we should all accept that there's no wrong way to vape. DL-huffing low-nic juice at 3-digit wattages isn't for me either, but I'm aware it works for some people while traditional, moderate power and nic levels did not. I think the Juul style of vaping really high nic levels at really low power levels is equally valid. A person should use whatever works for them, and we're all different.
    You have a great view on vaping.
    I'm sure that carries over into life.
    Very Good!!!!!!!!!

Gahh

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2013
    Bay Shore LI NY
    When I started vaping, I found even 12 mg at low power to be harsh. Juul maybe would still have been too much for me and I consider higher nicotine to not help with whole tobacco cravings, but still being able to a get a bit more with less harshness would have been good. I still find 12 mg rather intense, in a good way except I don't want that much nic anymore or to vape that little.

I heard from a guy working at a vape shop that there are some people that have reactions to base nicotine at any level, but not with salts nicotine. I don't know if that's true but it seems possible that salts are more natural to the body not like something "added" to the nic.
    The satisfaction (I) get from using the higher mg nic salt is much better than what I was used to with the old base nicotine.
    Much smoother and getting more taste to my DIY juice.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Oh we did the old injector loose tobacco thing that makes it way too easy to just smoke NONSTOP, I mean I had no financial motivations to cut back. I'm going to guess vaping has actually been MORE expensive (although I was stockpiling too) than my 3 ppd habit, but for sure 18 months of pneumonia treatment plus associated inhalers and nebulizer machines were NOT, not by a LONG shot. That is one of the most expensive stretches of health madness cost I have ever undergone.

Thinking about selling the nebulizer on craigslist although I must admit, even if I AUTOCLAVED it, I'm not sure who would want to buy a used nebulizer machine and I'm not sure I want to invite said person to my house and freaking LET them test it and etc.

LOL.

Anna

Major2829

Jun 12, 2018
    South Florida
    Still cheaper than smoking commercial cigs in most places. Substantially cheaper than smoking in jurisdictions with high cig taxes.

Depends what you're trying to accomplish. If you wanna kill TH, pretty much any acid will work to reduce freebase nic's alkalinity, which is what seems to be responsible for the TH. But Juul's salt patent strongly implies that benzoic acid salt was the one that produced the fastest uptake / nic hit, and the only one that resulted in plasma nic levels that rose at a rate comparable to smoking an actual cigarette.

How is that different than any other commercial e-liquid that one might buy? The only way to know what's really in your e-liquid is to DIY, and even then, one generally doesn't know what's really in the flavoring concentrates.

I never had the impression a Juul was flimsy. It's small and lightweight enough that I think it would survive being dropped or even throw across the room better than most heavier mods would. Low power, yes. That's an inevitable consequence of the small form-factor, but that small form-factor is a feature that many cigarette smokers find very appealing.

Meh, if it gets then over the hump of quitting cigarettes, they can always move on to better gear.

I'm not sure why I'm defending Juul. I bought one when they were brand new to the market because I was curious. I decided pretty quickly that it wasn't really my thing, but I was already off of cigs for a year and a half at that point, and more-or-less set in my MTl squonking ways. I even opened up a few pods and cut the liquid down to my usual strength and proceeded to vape it in one of my normal mods, just to see if it would give me the instant kick that cigs used to first thing in the morning. It didn't.

No, wait, I do know why I'm defending Juul. Choice and freedom thereof. It may not be the right choice for you or me, but it might just be for some people, and Juul's success in the marketplace indicates that it is! Choice is good.

I feel liked my thread has turned into an Apple v Android debate. We can go back-and-forth on what sucks and doesn’t all day long....I’m just looking to get some help crossing the bridge instead of staying in the middle. :)

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North

Ohmigod. What is that? Eighth post? We get it. You’re deeply in love with the worlds most despised e-cigarette product. It’s like watching “thank you for smoking” in real life.
    Lotta shoulds in there

So, if you only have eight posts you aren't allowed an opinion?...or if you post eight times about the same product, your opinion is null?

And BTW, there's only one "should" in her post.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread