Why the Orchid Probably isn't for me, a Story of Airflow, Nicotine, and Dual Coils. Bonus Nano Kayfun Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwb1500

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
South Central PA
This afternoon I checked my fasttech orders and discovered that my Orchid V2 had been delivered. I cut out of work immediately (just kidding... maybe...) and ran home to try it out. The wife was out for the evening so I sat down with my tools and put together the Orchid after giving it a thorough bath. Two coils each at 1.8 = .9 ohms, just about right as far as I had been reading on the matter. I wicked it up with some rayon, test fired it, then put it together and top filled it. No issues with leaking or anything. I screwed it onto a DNA 30 device and cranked it up to about 16 watts. Too much lower and the coils don't want to heat up quickly. Woah... Tasty, but the draw is waaaaay less restricted then I had imagined. No bother, let's see what this thing can do. I turn it up to 20 watts so the coils heat up almost instantly. WOAH. Easy boy. Two or three toots and the whole room was spinning. I felt like it was the first time I inhaled a cigarette. This thing put me on my ..... A little background, I rarely if ever build anything with dual coils, and prefer a restricted Kayfunesq draw. The Orchid is none of this. It is in your face. And the vapor! Mountains of vapor! Good Lord I don't want to like it but I do!

The moral of the story is if you like a tight draw the Orchid V2 probably isn't for you. Now mind you that's a relative thing. For you lung inhalers the Orchid is probably a little tight, however it's nothing like a Kayfun. That being said after turning my throat into a desert with the Orchid I rebuilt a KFL with a nano glass kit and got myself a bottle of water. Pics or it didn't happen.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
8 Kayfuns, 2 Orchids here

Might I suggest you grab a bottle of your Favorive e-liquid at 1/2 the normal Nic you use in the kayfun.
Keep the Orchid home and just enjoy a few draws now and then. You may be surprises at how fast you will become accustomed.

Remember, the Kayfun has WAY more open draw than say a Clearomizer. It's all in what you adapt to.

LOL - I still vape on a bit of everything from CE5's to the orchid and a whole array in :)between.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
I don't have much experience with RBA units and high watt devices as you can tell by my signature. Despite this I try to gain as much knowledge as I can about the different products out there and what they are capable of. This might be a little off tangent, but everyone has a different vape style and what works for someone might not be enough for someone else. I find that my PV set up is very satisfying for me even though it's "outdated" compared to what's available. I wish I had the ability to purchase new things, but I don't really need an high watt mod or a wide open airflow RTA. I really enjoy my KFL restricted lung hit, it's not a crazy amount of vapor, but a pretty dense, cool-slightly warm cloud.

Since you now have the orchid, I'm sure you'll find a purpose for it after some time. Nice pictures too, love the nano.

Rwb1500

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
South Central PA
Well I vaped the Orchid on and off all day. It's really growing on me. I also filled it with NT Strawnilla, which makes any atomizer better.

I was making a bit of a newb mistake as well. Bumping it at 20 watts was putting out awesome vapor but roasting my mouth. I like my vape cool. I turned it down and am enjoying it much more around 17.

ronnbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2014
Sawmills, NC, USA
This afternoon I checked my Fasttech orders and discovered that my Orchid V2 had been delivered. I cut out of work immediately (just kidding... maybe...) and ran home to try it out. The wife was out for the evening so I sat down with my tools and put together the Orchid after giving it a thorough bath. Two coils each at 1.8 = .9 ohms, just about right as far as I had been reading on the matter. I wicked it up with some rayon, test fired it, then put it together and top filled it. No issues with leaking or anything. I screwed it onto a DNA 30 device and cranked it up to about 16 watts. Too much lower and the coils don't want to heat up quickly. Woah... Tasty, but the draw is waaaaay less restricted then I had imagined. No bother, let's see what this thing can do. I turn it up to 20 watts so the coils heat up almost instantly. WOAH. Easy boy. Two or three toots and the whole room was spinning. I felt like it was the first time I inhaled a cigarette. This thing put me on my ..... A little background, I rarely if ever build anything with dual coils, and prefer a restricted Kayfunesq draw. The Orchid is none of this. It is in your face. And the vapor! Mountains of vapor! Good Lord I don't want to like it but I do!

The moral of the story is if you like a tight draw the Orchid V2 probably isn't for you. Now mind you that's a relative thing. For you lung inhalers the Orchid is probably a little tight, however it's nothing like a Kayfun. That being said after turning my throat into a desert with the Orchid I rebuilt a KFL with a nano glass kit and got myself a bottle of water. Pics or it didn't happen.

You write very eloquently! I was very captivated by your prose. Also glad you are a fellow NuTter!

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
I have a question for anyone. I have a few mechs as well as 2 dna 30's. I have 2 Kayfuns & normally always have one "in use." I mainly drip though. I have never really taken to my kayfuns. Maybe if I tried some crazy different builds or something of that sort I would like them better I don't know. The only thing appealing is the tank aspect.

I've been thinking about the Orchid or even one of those Aga-T5 or Tsomethings (whatever the newest one is) also a Fogger maybe?
I want an RTA but I'm afraid to buy one and be disappointed with it as I am with the kayfun. The amount of vapor with the kayfun is pathetic - not that I care that much about vapor....I really don't. I believe I have one kfl and one kfl+. The one I have with supposed afc is still so tight. I need a TH and I'm hoping with one of the others I'll be more satisfied.

What would you guys recommend? And sry I don't mean to hijack the thread just figured this may be a good spot to ask ;)

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
Been playing around with the FT Orchid V2 for 2 days now.Best way to install wicks is to make sure you make ''small tails'' and just poke them in the channels very loosely.This thing tastes pretty darn good,but i think i still like the black KF lite better.One thing i for sure notice with the ORCHID tank is i get MASSIVE nic delivery.Too much actually,gona drop from 12mg to 6 mg.Another thing i did was to make the rayon wicks really snug in the coils,dual 1.0 ohms.Blasting away with Hana at 20 watts.I AM VERY IMPRESSED...no leaks either,seems totally leak proof....and the nic hit is mind blowing.

I think ill try a 0.7 ohm,later.

Last edited:

CloudKick

Verified Member
Oct 30, 2014
San Clemente, CA
This afternoon I checked my Fasttech orders and discovered that my Orchid V2 had been delivered. I cut out of work immediately (just kidding... maybe...) and ran home to try it out. The wife was out for the evening so I sat down with my tools and put together the Orchid after giving it a thorough bath. Two coils each at 1.8 = .9 ohms, just about right as far as I had been reading on the matter. I wicked it up with some rayon, test fired it, then put it together and top filled it. No issues with leaking or anything. I screwed it onto a DNA 30 device and cranked it up to about 16 watts. Too much lower and the coils don't want to heat up quickly. Woah... Tasty, but the draw is waaaaay less restricted then I had imagined. No bother, let's see what this thing can do. I turn it up to 20 watts so the coils heat up almost instantly. WOAH. Easy boy. Two or three toots and the whole room was spinning. I felt like it was the first time I inhaled a cigarette. This thing put me on my ..... A little background, I rarely if ever build anything with dual coils, and prefer a restricted Kayfunesq draw. The Orchid is none of this. It is in your face. And the vapor! Mountains of vapor! Good Lord I don't want to like it but I do!

I might be missing something, but the Orchid is known for its air flow and tries to be anything but a kayfun. If you're looking for an orchid with more adjustable airflow, I think the billow rta is more up your alley.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Here's why the Orchid isn't for me:

Having three clone PMMA Kayfuns (which I like) and one Erlkonigin in service, I thought I'd try an Orchid, just to see. So, I ordered the cheapest Orchid V2 from fasttech---$8.44 shipped.

When I took apart the Orchid after its arrival, I discovered a lemon. The Orchid has two negative posts and a center block with two holes for positive connections. Well, the pics on fasttech showed hex screws in all four. Mine came with phillips screws in the negative posts, and no screws at all in the positive holes. Not only were there no screws, the holes in the block hadn't even been tapped for screw threads. I tried various screws from other RBAs, but no go. Since the positive connector holes had no threads, nothing worked. Now that is some seriously bad quality control. Disgusted, I scavenged the Orchid for reusable spare parts, then tossed the defective base into the trash. I didn't contact fasttech, since they always want pictures and lengthy explanations, and it's not worth that time to me for eight bucks.

I expect vaping equipment to have flaws---especially cheap hardware---but that's a particularly shoddy and egregious example.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Billherbst,That's a poor manufcturing defect though,you cant really judge the orchid by a very badly machined part from a cheap manufacturer.Do yourself a favor and get a better quality one,i have 3 from tobeco and all have arrived perfectly.You get a good one and will be amazed at just how good these things really are

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
Billherbst,That's a poor manufcturing defect though,you cant really judge the orchid by a very badly machined part from a cheap manufacturer.Do yourself a favor and get a better quality one,i have 3 from tobeco and all have arrived perfectly.You get a good one and will be amazed at just how good these things really are
Absolutely! My tobeco orchid v2 is outstanding! Cheap too, although not as cheap as the FT one.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Here's why the Orchid isn't for me:

Having three clone PMMA Kayfuns (which I like) and one Erlkonigin in service, I thought I'd try an Orchid, just to see. So, I ordered the cheapest Orchid V2 from fasttech---$8.44 shipped.

When I took apart the Orchid after its arrival, I discovered a lemon. The Orchid has two negative posts and a center block with two holes for positive connections. Well, the pics on fasttech showed hex screws in all four. Mine came with phillips screws in the negative posts, and no screws at all in the positive holes. Not only were there no screws, the holes in the block hadn't even been tapped for screw threads. I tried various screws from other RBAs, but no go. Since the positive connector holes had no threads, nothing worked. Now that is some seriously bad quality control. Disgusted, I scavenged the Orchid for reusable spare parts, then tossed the defective base into the trash. I didn't contact fasttech, since they always want pictures and lengthy explanations, and it's not worth that time to me for eight bucks.

I expect vaping equipment to have flaws---especially cheap hardware---but that's a particularly shoddy and egregious example.

Sad state of affairs. You cheated Two by doing nothing.
Yourself - Out what should have been a decent device.
Fasttech - Not being advised of an issue effecting YOU and possibly Other Vapers

Yes, Cheap manufacturing comes at a Price, occasional defects. Still, you have Rejected an awesome device and experience due to a Fault from a Manufacturer, not the Orchids design/function.

It has never taken me more than a few minutes total time to resolve an issue when dealing with fasttech. In fact I'm glad they have a warranty. Other venders offer NOTHING except DOA and often try to wiggle out of that one.

MegaVap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Texas, US of A

Please tell me about those drip tips.. Material and where to get them.. Thanks!

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Sad state of affairs. You cheated Two by doing nothing.
Yourself - Out what should have been a decent device.
Fasttech - Not being advised of an issue effecting YOU and possibly Other Vapers

Yes, Cheap manufacturing comes at a Price, occasional defects. Still, you have Rejected an awesome device and experience due to a Fault from a Manufacturer, not the Orchids design/function.

It has never taken me more than a few minutes total time to resolve an issue when dealing with fasttech. In fact I'm glad they have a warranty. Other venders offer NOTHING except DOA and often try to wiggle out of that one.

My first sentence was tongue in cheek, referencing the OP. The only Orchid I've rejected is the one I got.

As for fasttech, both times previously where I got a defective product and contacted them for replacement or credit, the process was long, drawn-out, and way more trouble than it was worth. Fasttech required photographs from me of the defective products, which isn't easy, given that I don't have a smart phone and have to get out the video cam and process the jpegs before sending them via email. Another time when I didn't receive a shipment I'd ordered and paid for, I contacted fasttech customer service after six months to request a credit. Their response was that delivery is sometimes delayed, and I should wait another month. I pointed out that six months had already transpired, and they gave me credit, but I was put off by their inattention to detail in reading my description.

I didn't cheat anyone. I just chose to keep life simple for myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread