Why two switches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kresh

May 2, 2009
San Angelo, TX
Wow...fastest reply and from the owner! So...someone like me with little to no experience in manipulating mechanical thinga-ma-jiggies like switches, is this an easy thing for me to do or is this left to the 'experts' hehehehe.

I am really looking forward to the Protege. I have several friends with them already and I am sure they have noticed the jealous twinge in my voice when commenting on them!

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
Wow...fastest reply and from the owner! So...someone like me with little to no experience in manipulating mechanical thinga-ma-jiggies like switches, is this an easy thing for me to do or is this left to the 'experts' hehehehe.

I am really looking forward to the Protege. I have several friends with them already and I am sure they have noticed the jealous twinge in my voice when commenting on them!

Piece of cake. Pull the old one out and put the new one in. Screw the adapter back on. You'll want to clean the brass switch contacts occasionally anyway, so removing and reinserting is a necessary skill. ;)

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
So can you order it with mechanical switch or need to buy seperate?
And yes lotus, reinserting is a necessary skill after you pull the old one out lol

I meant taking one out and putting it back in is part of regular maintenance. :lol:

You have to order separately. Steve said the next batch would have the mechanical switches, perhaps with an option for the tact switch.

No soldering necessary since you're replacing the whole switch assembly. Soldering is required only if you want to replace the tact switch in your current assembly with another tact switch.

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
Okay, that makes sense. Then the other side, if they start making that switch standard it would be advisable to purchase the tact switch to protect computer if you get the USB bypass for the Protege. Getting to be like buying a car with options...do you want the cruise control or not!

Yes, but personally I'd suggest getting a wall plug usb adapter that pushes 1.5amps - they are cheap - and sticking with the mechanical switch.

Unless Steve says not too! ;)

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I guess it's a matter of personal perferance but I'd rather not have more contacts that require cleaning. Already have too many as it is. DC mechanical contacts will have arching scars that will require more than contact cleaner. I assume that the current momentary switch will still be available. If not there should be a compatible replacement somewhere.

That's what I think anyway.

Kevin

duke118

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2009
Long Island, N.Y
Well I just got my protege earlier this week the tack switch lasted 3 days. The switch stays closed now and I almost burned a hole in my jacket.lol Pure smoker should get my email by Monday. Other than that the protege is well built and I will recommend it to friends.I understand things break so I'm not all that upset about the switch and I'm sure they will fix the problem. Just to be on the safe side I did just order the mechanical switch.

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
Well I just got my protege earlier this week the tack switch lasted 3 days. The switch stays closed now and I almost burned a hole in my jacket.lol Pure smoker should get my email by Monday. Other than that the protege is well built and I will recommend it to friends.I understand things break so I'm not all that upset about the switch and I'm sure they will fix the problem. Just to be on the safe side I did just order the mechanical switch.

My first switch lasted 3 weeks. The replacement lasted 3 1/2 weeks. :-x

I'm hoping they'll just replace it with a mechanical one this time.

them0nk

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
San Bernardino, CA
well... my tact witch is still going strong - i resoldered it myself the first day i got my protege - literally broke it a few hours from the time i got it. took it home, setup my soldering shop, got it done. worked perfectly since. i also exploded the little housing on the switch (the tact switch housing) in the process and was able to get it back together.

i think i had 7 days on my signature ticker when that happened.

but to make sure it never happens again the mechanical switch is a must. i think there is even a way to do a solderless resistor with a real resistor in there. that if the resistor ever burned up it would be super easy to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread