Why unprotected batteries for protege

Status
Not open for further replies.

spivey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2009
VA
According to the manufacturer's site, these batteries have built in protection against over-discharging and the (manufacturer's) charger protects against over-charging, so the protection circuit isn't needed. I couldn't find the 900mah model, but here's the link to the 800mah model. The specs look the same from what I remember.

It seems this model is being discontinued - all over the net these batteries are on sale and the product page on Tenery's site is gone.

So the short answer to your question is "Why not use them?"

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong; I'm still new to the battery mods.

WS23

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
West Virginia
Protected batteries work in the protege. However it is a snug fit and some people had problems with batches of batteries being a little bigger than they shold have been. So I would assume they ship them with unprotected ones to avoid issues with some not fitting. I use both in my protege and have not had any issues. IMO the protected thing is overrated. It has to do with charging, and with the smart chargers it is sort of pointless.

The_janty_Misfit

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
New York City
I believe people have said that the non protected batteries seemed to hold a charge longer then the unprotected. I have both and that seems to be true.

Now i could get a longer spring for the Protege i'd like it as much as i do using the protected batts as there longer and keep good pressure on the adapter so it dont move around.

I don't think it's a matter of the battery's holding a charge longer than it is one of the *#5&@#$* protection circuit's function to prevent overcharge/overdischarge. That is, the batteries have a floor and a ceiling. They can only be charged to a certain point and they can only be discharged to a certain point before the protection circuit cuts in.

The problem for us is that the lower limit on the discharge cuts off current from the battery while there is still useful voltage in it; so instead of very weak vapor at low voltages, you suddenly find yourself getting *no* vapor after a certain point.

Personally, I can't abide the things. They've proven themselves more trouble than they're worth and I'm dumping my supply of them ASAP to replace them with unprotected ones.

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
Over discharge protection is the key.

If you take a li ion batt below its low voltage limit, it can (and most likely will) go into a discharge tailspin in which it self discharges and gets extremely hot and usually vents gas (note the "slots" on the + side tab).

Most li ion chargers have an over charging circuit built in so that part is usually easy.

For the Protege' (and most attys in general), many users have found that you basically get no vapor well before that bottom limit voltage and will recharge it well before it breaks down - but that's no promise and it is a user beware type thing.

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
so I should be safe if my wife drains them till there is no vapor and it shouldn't damage the batteries?

Thats good to know, thanks all for the information.

Now if I could just get a M401 adapter :p

I do it with my unprotected one's and so far no issues(knocks on wood)

As for 401 adapter, sweet talk Steve ;) I think there are a handful of us with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread