Why USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
Just been nebbing around here. I have a dead battery which leaves me with one working and looking for alternatives.

I've seen lots of USB passthroughs and e-cigs modded with alternative batteries (nicostick). I also see alot of usb passthrough battery packs.

Why USB? I don't understand why you'd have USB at all. Why not just be able to plug directly into the wall? Even the battery packs are USB? Why the USB on the battery pack if you're not connecting it to a computer?

I'd like just a separate battery pack. I don't want it built into the e-cig like the nicostick...

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
USB ports on a computer provide free and easy power that can be used to fire up your atomizer while you tap away at the keyboard. That is why they are important to lots of folks as it asave you from vconstantly having to re-charge batteries.

From what you describe in your post, a USB pass-through (without an in-line battery) and a manual switch (which allows you to turn your atomizer on and off) with a Kensington Portable Power Pack might be a great combo for you. You could plug the USB pass-through from your device into the power pack and vape sitting still, running errands or just doing unusual dance movements in the privacy of your home.

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
I've never heard anyone complain about the ease of USB...odd.

USB is just an easy worldwide standard to work with. It would be dumb NOT to use it, since most everyone has something with a USB port in their house. No messy voltage adapters and different plug types needed.

You can get an adapter that turns a wall outlet into a USB port for cheap, same goes for a car outlet adapter.

Last edited:

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
DFW, TX
moddersupply.com
Just been nebbing around here. I have a dead battery which leaves me with one working and looking for alternatives.

I've seen lots of USB passthroughs and e-cigs modded with alternative batteries (nicostick). I also see alot of usb passthrough battery packs.

Why USB? I don't understand why you'd have USB at all. Why not just be able to plug directly into the wall? Even the battery packs are USB? Why the USB on the battery pack if you're not connecting it to a computer?

I'd like just a separate battery pack. I don't want it built into the e-cig like the nicostick...

When you say second battery pack that isn't built in, what do you mean? Are you talking about having a battery pack with a wire extending to the atomizer, or just having a second battery to switch to while charging the dead one?

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
I've never heard anyone complain about the ease of USB...odd.

USB is just an easy worldwide standard to work with. It would be dumb NOT to use it, since most everyone has something with a USB port in their house. No messy voltage adapters and different plug types needed.

You can get an adapter that turns a wall outlet into a USB port for cheap, same goes for a car outlet adapter.

I'm not complaining, just curious. It just seems like an added piece of equipment to have a USB connected to a wall adapter, why not just have the e-cig plug into the wall...I didn't think of the worldwide functionality aspect since the farthest I ever travel is FLA. :oops:

Just trying to figure out which option I want to persue. I'll definitely have to order another battery or two but in the meantime I'd like to figure out how I can NOT get stuck in this predicament again...(1 working battery).

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
When you say second battery pack that isn't built in, what do you mean? Are you talking about having a battery pack with a wire extending to the atomizer, or just having a second battery to switch to while charging the dead one?

A battery pack with a wire was what I was thinking, although the second suggestion would work also. Right now I'm just waiting for my one remaining battery to charge. Too bad there aren't 15 minute chargers on these things. ...:)

I keep looking at the Nicostick but I don't like the "box" aspect of it and I don't want to smoke a flashlight..;)

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
USB ports on a computer provide free and easy power that can be used to fire up your atomizer while you tap away at the keyboard. That is why they are important to lots of folks as it asave you from vconstantly having to re-charge batteries.

From what you describe in your post, a USB pass-through (without an in-line battery) and a manual switch (which allows you to turn your atomizer on and off) with a Kensington Portable Power Pack might be a great combo for you. You could plug the USB pass-through from your device into the power pack and vape sitting still, running errands or just doing unusual dance movements in the privacy of your home.

Could you direct me to directions for these or do they need purchased? I'm pretty handy and haven't run across anything I'm afraid to try....which can be good or bad...hehe ;)

ZexMarquies01

Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Piqua, Ohio
Another reason is that USB voltages are UNIVERSAL. All USB ports will pump out 5v at 500ma. The new USB 3.0 when it comes out, will be able to pump out 900ma.

The fact that every laptop, and computer made in the past 7 years has a USB port on it makes it the IDEAL power source for instant use. ( though, Not the best power source for CHARGING batteries ).

Plus, MP3 player power bricks and other such power bricks that convert a wall outlet to USB can sometimes output up to 1A ( 1 amp ) at 5v. My Iphone wall charger does this.

simply, USB is more universal than wall outlets. one standart voltage, standard amperage, and one size fits all.

Now we just need to have USB 4.0 ( whenever that comes out ) pump out 12v at 5 amps! ( or 5v at 10+ amps would be nice if 12v isn't an option ) Imaging the kind of stuff we could power via our computers then!

markule

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Iowa, USA
USB is also handy for modders since I can only imagine that, like me, they've got spare USB cables from untold peripherals filling up a box somewhere. Sacrificing one is, basically, free since it's not doing anything. I've got multiple wall to USB plugs (phone, pda, ect) and additional uses for USB power packs beyond vaping. Basically, I don't even have to go buy anything to put a USB on, I've already got that stuff, so why not? On the same principle you'll also see people using brass screws, fish air hose, insulation off house wiring, flashlights, and just about anything else that may already be lying around that will do the job without buying more stuff for parts of the mod.

Yes, I have old USB cables waiting for another battery to die before becoming manual USB passthroughs. Haven't found a good 401 connector yet...though RCA plugs are looking promising...

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
lorraineg57, I know what you mean. I was suprised and a little confused about the USB too when I first got into this. The first day I had trouble getting batteries charged, I modded a brass fitting, some phone wire, a crimp connector and an ink pen spring to a cordless phone battery that just happened to be 3.7 volts! Hey, it worked. If you're creative, you can use anything you want, or whatever you have around. I have made a nicer one since but it isn't USB either, and all I bought was the switch.

gavin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2009
Joburg, South Africa
I just cut the threaded end of a battery and wired it to a switch and then a 4 AA battery holder. I put 1.2v Ni-Mh rechargables in and it works great. However I've ordered a 4 AA battery holder with a USB connector, and I'll wire a switch to a USB cable, as I will be able to plug in to a USB port if I run out of batteries.

Attachments

• batt1.jpg
    batt1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 27
  • batt2.jpg
    batt2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 22
  • batt.jpg
    batt.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 22

Nedley

Jun 5, 2009
Wisconsin
I could be wrong but I think what the OP was wondering (and I have wondered Myself) is....why USB and not say a AC/DC converter. I was looking at the power cord for my tracphone and it said 5V and 2amp it has positive and negative wires. Why could you not hook that up to a switch? Same story with the car adapter for my Navigator device. 5V and 2A. Would it not be direct power?

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
You could have the ecig hooked up to ac/dc wall adaptor plug..but your absolutely restricted to home usage this way. You can't buy wall adaptor outlets for your car or portable battery pack. Well, you could get one of those inverters for the car...but no way I would purchase one just to be able to hook up my wall adaptor e-cig in my car.

Besides, something about having my lips wrapped around an ecig linked directly to a small adaptor plug connected to 220 volts a/c is a little unsettling. Although A/C and DC are harmful either way, give me an e-cig that is connected to a power supply rated to convert high voltage to low DC current any day...or an accessory that, if fails, carries no more than 12v DC from the main source of power. That's just my OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread