Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Loss of tax revenue would definitely be a consideration for the government. But if you were replying to my post, I was specifically addressing the comment above mine that asked about Big Pharma's interests. :)

I wasn’t so much Replying to your post as more Talking Out Loud.

Sorry. Just had some time to kill today. :D

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I can tell you one thing about Big Pharma that might shock a few people.

Years ago I worked in a very nice fine dining restaurant in Richmond Va.Pharmaceutical reps would book parties for 50-100 doctors and my boss would charge them 2-3 times what he would charge a normal diner for their entrees and appetizers. Im talking 50 bucks or more for an entree we got typically got 25 bucks for. Also bear in mind this was 10 years ago when the average restaurant was just charging 10-15 bucks for an entree.

The reps would hold these parties and invite doctors and their mistresses or wives, feed them, liquor them up (unlimited bar)and show them a presentation on a new drug they were trying to sell them on, or perhaps get them to endorse.

My boss loved them because if they quoted 100 people and only 50 showed they would pay for 100 entrees.We always added a 20 percent gratuity to the party as well and usually had 2-3 servers working it.

In addition to the 20 percent gratuity, as long as we did a somewhat decent job at the end of the night the pharmaceutical rep would always double our tip .I heard her on more than one occasion saying that if she didnt spend the money she wouldnt get matching funds the following year.

As much as I loved the tips I couldnt help but think the same thing most of you are now and thats who really ended up paying for all this excess?

The answer is us, in higher insurance premiums and prescription drug costs going thru the roof.

Worzel

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
Because the doctors and nurses need their stinky nic fix and have to leave hospital premises to do it. When my local hospital had a smokers pit, there were more nurses and staff smoking butts than visitors. Sorry, just being a snot. Yes, soooooooo many medical staff in Florida smoke stinkies. We need to educate them :)

fwellers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2010
Northern Va
photos.fwellers.com
Exactly - they have cancer treatments, heart disease treatments, COPD treatments and asthma treatments for SMOKERS. If we all switch to e-cigarettes, not only does BP lose those "customers" (victims?) who were using their products when trying to quit, they also lose all those who didn't quit and then needed their "smoking-related disease" treatments. Those who actually get sick are FAR more lucrative! (Maybe that is why they encourage smokers to use BP products that fail 93.6% of the time?)

Oh yea ! I forgot about all that other stuff. You really think those you know what's , can really find a cure for cancer and are stopping it ? ( I do ).

fwellers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2010
Northern Va
photos.fwellers.com
I can tell you one thing about Big Pharma that might shock a few people.

Years ago I worked in a very nice fine dining restaurant in Richmond Va.Pharmaceutical reps would book parties for 50-100 doctors and my boss would charge them 2-3 times what he would charge a normal diner for their entrees and appetizers. Im talking 50 bucks or more for an entree we got typically got 25 bucks for. Also bear in mind this was 10 years ago when the average restaurant was just charging 10-15 bucks for an entree.

The reps would hold these parties and invite doctors and their mistresses or wives, feed them, liquor them up (unlimited bar)and show them a presentation on a new drug they were trying to sell them on, or perhaps get them to endorse.

My boss loved them because if they quoted 100 people and only 50 showed they would pay for 100 entrees.We always added a 20 percent gratuity to the party as well and usually had 2-3 servers working it.

In addition to the 20 percent gratuity, as long as we did a somewhat decent job at the end of the night the pharmaceutical rep would always double our tip .I heard her on more than one occasion saying that if she didnt spend the money she wouldnt get matching funds the following year.

As much as I loved the tips I couldnt help but think the same thing most of you are now and thats who really ended up paying for all this excess?

The answer is us, in higher insurance premiums and prescription drug costs going thru the roof.

Well actually they are doing everything you said, and on a much grander scale. They create whole other companies who create websites and other things and throw millions at doing what you said. Johnson and Johnson started a bunch of NGO's for that purpose and they lend "fellows" from those to the govt. To senators, congressmen, first ladies etc...
PETRODIUS has a couple of links to some real good stuff I read the other day.

Blurgas

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2012
The first thing that comes to mind as to why hospitals won't allow ecigs is the nicotine, not the possible second-hand risk, but how much ends up in your body.
With a nicotine patch, the hospital knows how much is going to be in your body and how long it will be there(and they know it's there due to being listed on your chart)
With a PV, they don't have that knowledge. They don't know how much nicotine you're taking in, how long it stays, and if you stealth-vape, they won't even know it's in your body.

It isn't political(mostly), it's to ensure your quality of care.
Nicotine has an effect on your body, it will affect how vitals(ex blood pressure) are measured, it will affect how medications/treatments act upon you.

Vaping while in the hospital is somewhat like adjusting a valve on your cars fuel line while the mechanic is trying to figure out why it won't run right.

Like I said, banning PVs isn't the hospital being a jerk, it's the hospital ensuring that your treatment goes as it should

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread