Status
Not open for further replies.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
I'd always assumed 3 amps as well.

In further correspondence, I said mine seems to limit at 3 amps.
He asked if I'd ever tried a 1 Ohm atty. If I tried one and the amps don't break 3 then something is wrong with my Darwin and he'll fix it for me.

Nope...I don't even know where to get a 1 Ohm atty unless I build it myself.

Speculative Note on my part: While the Darwin has a max on the power setting of 12.7 watts, that is a safety software limit. The batteries and the device could go higher if they wanted to do the software that way and risk law suits from folks getting burned (in theory getting much hotter could actually heat up the outside of an atty and cause a first degree burn, or shoot vape/liquid out of the end of the carto and burn someone rather painfully inside the mouth). That's speculation on my part...but it does make sense.

Last edited:

vaptamist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
FL
I think the whole VV part of things has been over hyped as well. Dialing around and finding sweet spots and all that jazz. Dialing around on my VV devices with atomizers is great fun. Dialing around on cartomizers is asking for a burnt up tasting cartomizer.

The reason I like VV on the Provari, Darwin, and Buzz Classic is the fact that I can put in a battery and get that 3.7, 4.7, or 6.0 hit with perfect consistancy. I love tanks and a Boge 3.0 at 7.7 watts on the Darwin, 4.7 V on the Provari and Buzz gives me a perfect consistant flavorful plume of vapor hit. I have passed this set up to many a vapor and they love it and get hooked on tanks.

These atomizers/cartomizers were built around speific voltage and wattage, and I think if you aren't using some type of fixed or voltage regualted mod your vape is constantly changing with the charge of the battery.

It's all about consistancy. I usally tell people that vape on a non variable voltage that they are the one with VV mine always stays the same, in accordance to where I set it and forget it.

I'll be darned - I just tried my boge in a tank at that setting and it is a pretty darn nice vape. My carto was reading at 2.9 ohms, so I knocked the voltage down to 4.6 instead. Pretty tasty.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Isn't making sense to me.

6a, 1 ohm, means 6v, 36w. try to set your darwin to 36w, tell me what happens.

The Darwin doesn't let you set it to 36 watts. That is clear.
You can indeed go over 3 amps of current and stay inside 12 watts with the right carto is Brandon's point. With a single coil it's not really practical, but with multiple coil cartos it could well happen (as the wattage is distributed over several coils...less intensity).

Also it is possible to do a really low resistance multiple coil carto at well under 1 ohm (yet with massive coils that can stand the wattage/heat).

If they wanted to change the software slightly, they could ALLOW it to go all the way to 36 watts.

Even with the 12 watt setting, you keep leaving off resistance as a variable, and the fact that there ARE realistic options for using the PV from 7 to 9 volts. If more used these types of batteries and a market opened up for them...someone might start doing dualie and triple coils in the extreme high and low Ohm ranges...and these could suck up some amps fast!

Just because at 'this time' there aren't many HV cartos with 'parallel coils' in them (I think 2.5 to 3 Ohms is the norm at present for HV dualies)...it doesn't mean there never will be. A software upgrade could sense these and let you kick up the watts past 12.7, and so forth.

Anyway...the batteries are awesome. Up to 12v 6 amps. The device is capable of this as well according to its designer. The 12.7 watt max power setting is done in 'software'.

Last edited:

Dan Patrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Texas Forest Country
I'll be darned - I just tried my boge in a tank at that setting and it is a pretty darn nice vape. My carto was reading at 2.9 ohms, so I knocked the voltage down to 4.6 instead. Pretty tasty.

Glad that worked out. I ran Boge 3.0 at all kinds of voltages and wattages. Even though they might have made more vapor at higher voltage the flavor and carto itself got the raw end of the deal.

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
E2 is kind of a pain, but if you get the error, than you that 90% of the time it's because you're doing something wrong, or you shouldn't be using the atty/carto that's currently on your device!
IMO, the provari is a must have for anyone who has the money to spend. It will test your battery's charge, atomizer's resistance, and allow you to tune in your device to your personal sweet spot.
Not to mention that Provape's customer service is INCREDIBLE! Best vendor i've ever dealt with.

arkador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
Texas
Other than the $$$ factor - does the Provari have shortcomings? What can't it do?.

For me, Money is the factor. Without the extension cap, battery life is too short for my preferance. I will end up getting a lavatube, or more likely an Infinity Pro.

My feel for VV is that I want to dial in for taste. I know the Provari is a cadilac, but the menu seems to anoying for changing voltages to dial it in. The Lavatube is alot less clicks to change by .2v and I am aware of it's shortcomings.

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
I'm currently shopping around for a vv pv as a birthday/6month vaping present to myself. Both the provari and lavatube have been eliminated from my list for one simple reason. I vape low nic high vg. I get my throat hit from power. Add to that I love my dual coils and the provari simply won't be able to keep up

motox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2010
Poinciana, FL
If you can change the channel on a TV, then you can use a Provari. It seems a bit overwhelming when you read the "button configurations", but when you actually have one in your hands, it's stupid how easy it is to use.

The way I approach it, push the button until the menu pops up, and there you are, push it until you are at the screen you want to be it, simple as going from ESPN to CNN.

Nqa is absolutely right - and great analogy. I've only had my ProVari for a couple of weeks now, and I don't even really need to think about what I'm trying to do - it's automatic. If I put a new atty/carto on it, I check the resistance, and then it's just picking a voltage - easy stuff.

MediocreTrombonist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
Titusville, FL
I got the ProVari even though I use dual coil tanks almost exclusively, knowing that I might hate the amp limits. I had used 1.5 DCs at 5V and was very happy with that.

1.5 DCs were not satisfying on the ProVari, but the 2.5 DCs are working well at 6V, and are very satisfying. Obviously the ProVari would be much more loved by DC users if the amp limits were not in place, but it is doing a fine job.

Although what makes the ProVari a mod I love, even with DCs, is its battery use and battery check function. From the first vape on a fresh battery to the last vape of that battery's charge, the performance is the same. I find it invaluable also to know how much of the battery I've gone through just by checking the power coming out of the battery. It always bothered me to suffer through the decline of a battery's performance--that is why I, and others, never even use a battery through its full cycle. With the ProVari you are able to make use of the battery from a fresh charge (4.2V) to dead (3.3V) without guessing the battery life.

sacredgaming

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
atlanta
www.sacredgaming.com
I think everyone has to take into consideration the provari is old in ecig terms and was ahead of its time then but, even still this scene is rapidly evolving. The provari was a really good but, does need some updating possibly a vv hybrid for its next batch. Who knows what the next 8 months will hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread