Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Did you wait for them to cool down before checking the resistance? If you look at it right after then it's normal. If it's the cold resistance after dry burning your grub screws are loose and you need to tighten everything up after the heat/cool cycles you went through working out the hot spots (I assume you did).

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I was testing cold

Maybe you had some coils touching before you refilled and cleaned the coil. Most of us "strum" the coil with a fingernail and then hold the coil up to a light to make sure there's separation in the coils when we re-wick.

That said, lots of people compress the coils after a dry burn to make sure they are touching. Once there's a coating built up on the coil they can touch lightly and not show a lot of change in resistance, although SS316L isn't known for much in the way of annealing and creating a plated coating.

There's spaced coils and contact coils, BTW. Both work fine. You might want to check and see if there's a deck screw causing that. The wire might not be fully captured under the screw.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Burned them off and was surprised to see an increase in resistance (.51 to .79).
    Stainless only raises ~20% from it's ambient resistance reading for normal vaping temperatures. That would be around to .6 Ω in your case.

And you should only be dry burning to a dull read glow. If they got that high you've probably overheated them.
    Personally I'd only use the word 'significantly' with say Nickel 200, lesser so with Titanium, and not with Stainless. YMMV.

• Agree
    Reactions: Fidola13
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread