Wich TFA flavors are best to be used in low amounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkP

Oct 27, 2018
I found a local seller that has some TFA flavors (I can't order online because of strict import rules here, there's a big chance I will have to drive 4 hours to pick it up at the Customs office).

They are a bit expensive and only 10ml, so I would like some recommendations for strong flavors that will last me a long time, I don't want to have to use 20% to get flavor.

I am mostly interested in fruits (but open to any suggestions) to make single flavor juices or maybe mixing two, might add some menthol liquid or koolada (leaning more towards menthol because a few friends told me koolada can taste a bit like chemicals).

Any recommendations on which are some good and strong TFA flavors for single flavor juice?

Reactions: BrotherBob

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
TFA Peppermint I or II - I use 3 drops to make a single-flavored 30mL bottle of eliquid.
It's the only TFA flavoring I use to make a single-flavored eliquid.

The 5 below are also some of the strongest ones, to me, but I always use them in combination with other flavorings in a recipe.

TFA Creme De Menthe I or II
TFA Key Lime
TFA Maraschino Cherry - very potent
TFA Kiwi Double
TFA Wintergreen

There are many others that are very good flavorings, that I use in just the 1-5% range, but again...always in combination with other flavorings.

Most flavorings from any manufacturers, that are great to make a single-flavored eliquid...are those that are already a combination of flavorings when you buy them. Some places call them "one shots" or a variety of other names. Those make really good eliquids...by simply adding anywhere from about 5-10% of 1 of them to your own PG, VG, and nic base.

Other than that type above...finding single flavorings that make good eliquids by themselves (or even with just some Menthol added), would be a rather expensive, trial and error endeavor, IMO.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I found a local seller that has some TFA flavors (I can't order online because of strict import rules here, there's a big chance I will have to drive 4 hours to pick it up at the Customs office).
They are a bit expensive and only 10ml, so I would like some recommendations for strong flavors that will last me a long time, I don't want to have to use 20% to get flavor.
I am mostly interested in fruits (but open to any suggestions) to make single flavor juices or maybe mixing two, might add some menthol liquid or koolada (leaning more towards menthol because a few friends told me koolada can taste a bit like chemicals).
Any recommendations on which are some good and strong TFA flavors for single flavor juice?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Any of your coffees, tobaccos, some desserts like chocolates,most nuts and fruits should be ok. Most bakeries,creams,custards,MM, can be tricky, might stay clear until you investigate the flavor.
Some sites like E liquid recipes will list the average and mean single and mix percentages.

MarkP

Oct 27, 2018
Turns out the guy didn't have many flavors in stock, so I bought these:
  • Dragonfruit
  • Peach Juicy
  • Strawberry Ripe
  • Watermelon
  • Bubblegum
  • Pomegranate
  • Grape
  • Menthol Liquid
  • RY4 Double
  • Western
The rest were all desert/custard type flavors that I don't think will enjoy, at least not yet. Will start by testing the flavors as standalone first and then try some simple recipes to see what I like and what I don't like, and then plan a more customized order and some new flavors to try.

• Optimistic
Reactions: IDJoel

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The rest were all desert/custard type flavors that I don't think will enjoy, at least not yet.

Some of those were most likely what are known as "secondary flavorings" or "blenders" (various creams, custards, marshmallow, vanilla swirl, etc.) that are used along with "primary flavorings" to make eliquids. All of the ones you bought, except the Menthol, are examples of a "primary flavoring" used in recipes.

If you think about making an eliquid, sort of like making a pot roast dinner - The meat in the pot roast would be the primary ingredient. Some secondary ingredients in it might be whole small potatoes, some carrots, maybe onions, etc. The spices or accents in it might be salt, pepper, some worchestershire sauce, etc. Each of those ingredients plays a part in making the complete pot roast meal.

In making eliquids, most require flavorings that serve the same purposes in the eliquid (ie. a primary or main flavoring, a few secondary or blender flavorings, an accent flavoring or 2, and sometimes a sweetener. When combined with plain PG, plain VG, and nic base...they make a finished eliquid.

When quite a few people have started DIY...they've bought flavorings that are mostly primary ones, with few (if any) secondary ones, accents, or sweeteners. They then wonder why their eliquid made with any 1 of them, or even 2 of them, combined with their PG, VG, and nic base...doesn't taste very good at all and/or is very harsh. They expected it to taste similar to store bought eliquid.

It's because they're using just a beef roast, or maybe a beef roast and a pork roast...and expecting to end up with a pot roast meal!
:)

I do know that 1 flavoring in your list does make a decent finished eliquid though, just by adding some of it to your own PG, VG, and nic base. It's the TFA Western. I use it @ 8% to make the tobacco eliquid my niece likes. It needs a minimum of at least 2-3 weeks to steep before vaping it. It's made that way and sold at 3 vape shops that 1 guy owns in my area. You might want to give it a try. :thumbs:

Last edited:

MarkP

Oct 27, 2018
Some of those were most likely what are known as "secondary flavorings" or "blenders" (various creams, custards, marshmallow, vanilla swirl, etc.) that are used along with "primary flavorings" to make eliquids. All of the ones you bought, except the Menthol, are examples of a "primary flavoring" used in recipes.

If you think about making an eliquid, sort of like making a pot roast dinner - The meat in the pot roast would be the primary ingredient. Some secondary ingredients in it might be whole small potatoes, some carrots, maybe onions, etc. The spices or accents in it might be salt, pepper, some worchestershire sauce, etc. Each of those ingredients plays a part in making the complete pot roast meal.

In making eliquids, most require flavorings that serve the same purposes in the eliquid (ie. a primary or main flavoring, a few secondary or blender flavorings, an accent flavoring or 2, and sometimes a sweetener. When combined with plain PG, plain VG, and nic base...they make a finished eliquid.

When quite a few people have started DIY...they've bought flavorings that are mostly primary ones, with few (if any) secondary ones, accents, or sweeteners. They then wonder why their eliquid made with any 1 of them, or even 2 of them, combined with their PG, VG, and nic base...doesn't taste very good at all and/or is very harsh. They expected it to taste similar to store bought eliquid.

It's because they're using just a beef roast, or maybe a beef roast and a pork roast...and expecting to end up with a pot roast meal!
:)

I do know that 1 flavoring in your list does make a decent finished eliquid though, just by adding some of it to your own PG, VG, and nic base. It's the TFA Western. I use it @ 8% to make the tobacco eliquid my niece likes. It needs a minimum of at least 2-3 weeks to steep before vaping it. It's made that way and sold at 3 vape shops that 1 guy owns in my area. You might want to give it a try. :thumbs:

Thanks for the info, I will keep it in mind for my next order. Right now I just want to get to know the flavors I think I would like, so when I make a more complex recipe in the future I will know what to expect. I am afraid if I start with a complex recipe and I feel it needs some tweaking for my liking, I wouldn't know where to go from there.

About the western @ 8%, have you tried it yourself? I tried the ry4d and it wasnt bad but I thought it was too "caramelly", so I got the western too thinking I may want to mix it with just a bit of the ry4 to get my parents to quit analogs.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Thanks for the info, I will keep it in mind for my next order. Right now I just want to get to know the flavors I think I would like, so when I make a more complex recipe in the future I will know what to expect. I am afraid if I start with a complex recipe and I feel it needs some tweaking for my liking, I wouldn't know where to go from there.

About the western @ 8%, have you tried it yourself? I tried the ry4d and it wasnt bad but I thought it was too "caramelly", so I got the western too thinking I may want to mix it with just a bit of the ry4 to get my parents to quit analogs.
I treat RY4D as mostly a caramel but it goes well with other tobacco flavors. Its also good with the pistachio and some creams

Reactions: MarkP

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Right now I just want to get to know the flavors I think I would like, so when I make a more complex recipe in the future I will know what to expect. I am afraid if I start with a complex recipe and I feel it needs some tweaking for my liking, I wouldn't know where to go from there.

I don't know if you'll find this helpful or not, but: A popular way to test new flavorings singly...is to make a very small test eliquid with each one, like 3mL or less. Use an RDA to drip a few drops at a time to test vape it, tweak it, vape some more drops, etc., until you find an amount for each one, that tastes good to you. Make sure you take notes indicating what % you started with and also any changes you made while doing the test. Doing a test that small uses only a minimal amount of your ingredients, so your small bottles of flavorings will go much farther.

You might want to be aware that Juicy Peach has ethyl alcohol in it. It's can definitely be somewhat "bitey" or harsh until you let the EA evaporate off of it after making a mix. Just leave it uncapped for several hours if it's just a tiny batch. You'll definitely be able to tell when it's all gone, as the taste won't be bitey nor harsh any more.

About the western @ 8%, have you tried it yourself?

I personally don't vape any tobacco flavored eliquids, so I haven't tried the Western. I had my niece try a small sample amount I'd made at the 8%, and she said that was great to her. So I make her larger bottles the same every time now.

Reactions: MarkP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread