The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Wicking Material That Lets You Change Flavors

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by Reid3131A, Dec 2, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Reid3131A

Reid3131A Senior Member Verified Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Hi I've been wicking my coils with just cotton bacon. Problem is is that I like to change ejuice pretty frequently, I was wondering if there is any type of wicking material that doesn't require me to change the wicks every time I change flavour? Sort of like how it works in a normal sub ohm tank, thank you.

2. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Many just vape a ml or two of unflavored. I use a light meringue I mix myself between juices when I'm too lazy to rewick.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Don29palms

Don29palms Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    You don't have to rewick to change flavors. The trick is to change to flavors that kinda mix well. I just went from Bubbas pig sauce (carmel apple bacon) to cinnamon red hot to dutch apple pie without rewicking. Letitia is right though. You can just basically rinse the wick with unflavored juice or a light flavored juice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bombastinator

bombastinator Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Not as far as I know. Silica is the least bad that way because you can dry burn it (a little) but has other big safety issues like silicosis. Imho wicks are cheap. Just keep replacing em

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Reid3131A

Aug 5, 2017
    Ok thank you all. What about something like mesh? Has anobody tried that? What about ceramic?

• Like Like x 1
  6. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    SS mesh would be a quicker transition between flavors but are you willing to go through the long learning curve with using it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I think there may be a thread about ceramic fiber wicks.

• Like Like x 3
  8. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Those are coils not wicks. Iirc they’re both generally wicked with cotton.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Reid3131A

Aug 5, 2017
    I'm not sure... how hard is it?

• Like Like x 1
  10. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Oooh. I forgot about ceramic wick. And stainless wick for that matter. Both are only used in genesis style rdas. I’ve never used ceramic, but stainless wasn’t a lot better than cotton.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I've read MacTechVpr posts about it. Pretty interesting. Seems if cared for properly lasts a very long time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AzPlumber

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    Do a search on Genisis or Genesis with mesh wick, there is loads and loads of info in the forum. Most folks were never successful or willing to put in the time to learn how to properly use it. The greatest issue with mesh is learning to eliminate hot spots (shorting between wick and wire) causing burnt juice and or metal taste. Once the technique is mastered it is in my opinion the cleanest vape.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. AzPlumber

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    Yes but very fragile and I suspect would hold a flavor longer than cotton/rayon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Yeah, cotton is just so easy and cheap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Yep. Outlasts the coil generally and you can dry burn it. The problem is getting it to work right in the first place. Lasts 5 or 10 times as long as cotton but takes 5 or 10 times as long to get running correctly. When you do it’s awesome. Very clean flavor. They’re a bit annoying about leaking though. I never replaced my last genisis tank after it died. An avacado is basically a genesis tank that uses cotton wick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    A bit less long actually. When they run dry they really run dry and you can dry burn the tip. The problem is any juice left in the wick is more than happy to mix with the new stuff so it comes out as more or less a wash. To change flavors you basically have to vape it down to dry hit, and dry hits on genisis devices really suck.

• Like Like x 3
  17. 93gc40

93gc40 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2014
    California
    Both ss mesh and ceramics were used as wicking BEFORE being used as coil materials......

There are ceramic versions of silica type wicks........ and ceramic rod wicks....

SS in a dripper is easy.... learning curve really only applies to wicking tanks with it....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  18. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    If you really really hate changing wicks though a genisis tank may be the way to go. Iirc someone actually posted a book about genisis rigs somewhere around here. Unfortunately it’s in Russian.

• Like Like x 2
  19. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Yeah. I actually used to use th SS stuff. I just forgot. *is old and fluffy headed *

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. AzPlumber

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    I had forgotten about some silica wicking considered a ceramic, called Ready X or something like that. It may be a little easier on flavor transition, not sure.

• Like Like x 3