Wicking Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtybirdy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Georgia
I have been using organic cotton as my wicking component for some time now.

I see a lot of people switching to Japanese cotton and something called koh gen ko?

I have tried to pads of Japanese cotton and I just can't figure out how to get a nice rolled fluffy piece of it.

Was just wondering what materials do you use and can you tell a difference? I am not interested in rayon or silica or anything else.

Cliven

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
UT
I've tried silica wick, ecowool, readyxwick, cotton and Koh Gen Do. My favorite is the KGD. To me, I can tell a difference as the KGD is the cleanest and I get the best flavor. With the silica, ecowool and readyxwick, I didn't get the taste and it seemed that I couldn't take as deep as a vape either or it would taste dull, almost like cotton gets when it's not wicked enough. KGD is my go to.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Have to agree with the posters above, KGD is my favorite so far. The taste is amazing, extremely easy to work with, and a box of it will probably last me a few years at least. And I rewick a lot. I've also sent samples to some friends in a sub forum and they have all been impressed with the difference in flavor as well. Other materials may last longer in between rewicking but the flavor to me is the kicker.

Neolithium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Being too impatient to wait for online orders, I hit up the local WalMart that actually had normal cotton balls, but some organic cotton in a green bag next to them and picked up the organic ones. They're treated with peroxide only so boiling isn't necessary for me as there's no weird stuff or freaky flavour changes. I can't see any reason for me to personally switch off these, since a $2 bag has enough for probably 500 wicks.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Since I use mostly Spheroid type devices, I switched back to silica wick. Cotton curls up too much in that type of tank. In my Taifun, I still use Shesido cotton (just like koh Gen do from what I understand). To get a nice wick, you have to roll it "with the grain" so to speak or it falls apart since it's pressed in directional strands.

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
Dont forget the ready wick, Ive been trying it out last few days and its really nice. And I have some cosmetic puffs kinda like the ko gen do and I like it also. Cotton as a main stay, but I also like to use hollow cord silica in some atty's and now the ready wick. Its good to have variety. Oh and I put some ready wick in my genny and it works fantastic..

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
From the KohGenDo website:

Due to an increased demand, we are currently limiting a maximum number of 1 Pure Cotton per order at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I always get a chuckle out of the companies (like Kanthal and now KoGenDo) who have to wonder ... is up with a sudden increase of demand all of a sudden.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I've tried just about every wicking material except the ceramic tubes. I read on here a while back that there's apparently two different kinds of cellulocotton.
1) Cellulocotton Rayon
2) Cellulocotton Cotton

The rayon has been NO good for me, but the cellulocotton cotton is amazing! I love it almost as much as I love SS Mesh wick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread