Wicks for Kanger tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoofhearted62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
South Park, Pa. USA
Im new so don't complain if I get the wording wrong. But is it possible to replace the wicks in the clear cartomizer coil units. I vape mostly dessert flavors and they get dark. I know that I can get replacements relatively cheap. but I want to save as much $ as I can since in just starting. that little fuzzy wick at the bottom of the unit bugs me I want to find a way to DIY replacing the wick

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Do you mean the wicks that lay on top of the coil, or the wick that the coil is wrapped around, or both?

The answer to both is that you can replace them, but one is more involved than the other.

eta: I'm also talking about the protank and evod. I don't know about others. Also, a dry burn will help clean the wick the coil is wrapped around. I have been dry burning and then just replacing the 'flavor wicks' that lay on top of the coil every few days. It really helps extend the life of the head. You can also get some kanthal wire and completely recoil it, but that may not be something you want to do right away (or ever).

Last edited:

yaypudding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
North of NYC
just did this the other day with my protanks. i used 3mm wick with 6 wraps of 32 gauge kanthal res wire. w/ (2) 1mm wicks on top. i'm getting around 2.5 ohms and it has improved the hit and vapor so much, also the gurgling is a distant memory, not to mention the flavor is so much better.

it's real easy, i would definitely recommend doing this.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Recoiling is pretty darn easy. Dry burn for me is good too. It really extends the life of the coil. For recoiling I've been also using 32 gauge kanthal (temco), 2mm silica wick for the coil, and 1 strand of 1 mm for the top wick (snaredrummer on ebay). I get a resistance of about 2.2 usually. Always check resistance first if you decide to recoil.

MrFabius

Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
Miami, FL, USA
Little mention anywhere is the fact that when you recoil a BCC like Kanger Pro tank, you HAVE to be sure that your wicks are sealing the gap.
If you use too thin wicks, then the liquid will pass thru the little gap between the wick and the collar base.
I found that using organic cotton is excellent.
It expand itself once you put liquid and have an excellent performance.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I have to second the cotton, definitely the best flavor and, it will expand a bit so, it's easy to avoid the gap problem. The downside is that cotton is not easy to clean and, will need replaced fairly often. I do it every cleaning but, if you are not switching flavors 2-3 cleanings should be fine. Always change the wicks when switching flavors if you use cotton.

I suppose poly fill would work if that's all you had but, really how hard is it to find unbleached cheese cloth, oil lamp wicks, candle wicks or, even a flour sack towel to make wicks out of?

Hoofhearted62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
South Park, Pa. USA
So are you saying that when you recoil, you are replacing the wick the coil goes around as well as the cotton/poly/whatever other wick material you are using, or are you just replacing the wire coil and leaving the existing wick in place. If replacing all, where can I get the wick from to replace it?

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I use new kanthal and new wick. You can find the wick at various supplier websites. I got mine from a seller on eBay called snaredrummer. I know other ppl buy from him too. I got 1 mm, 2 mm, and 3 mm, to play with different variations. The kanthal I got from temco, which also sells on eBay. I got 32 gauge to make ~2.2-2.4 ohm coils at 6 wraps.

Do a search for a thread about rebuilding pro tanks started by a poster called face meat.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I suppose poly fill would work if that's all you had but, really how hard is it to find unbleached cheese cloth, oil lamp wicks, candle wicks or, even a flour sack towel to make wicks out of?

Cheesecloth?! :blink:...

ZOOM! Crash thrash toss clunk! (random sounds of kitchen drawers being torn asunder) Got it!!! Cut cut boil boil snip snip roll roll trim trim poke poke MacGyver MacGyver... Ta da! T3 working well again!

That top wick really is important in my experience. I'm at an undisclosed location with no extra wicking and my top wick had deteriorated so badly the T3 was grossly under performing. I was so fixated on trying to find suitable yarn at "crazy kntting lady sister's house" (Oops - location disclosed.) that I forgot about alternate MacGyvery resources. Thanks for jogging a brain cell into motion!

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Cheesecloth?! :blink:...

ZOOM! Crash thrash toss clunk! (random sounds of kitchen drawers being torn asunder) Got it!!! Cut cut boil boil snip snip roll roll trim trim poke poke MacGyver MacGyver... Ta da! T3 working well again!

That top wick really is important in my experience. I'm at an undisclosed location with no extra wicking and my top wick had deteriorated so badly the T3 was grossly under performing. I was so fixated on trying to find suitable yarn at "crazy kntting lady sister's house" (Oops - location disclosed.) that I forgot about alternate MacGyvery resources. Thanks for jogging a brain cell into motion!

Lol! You may have to resort to rolling up a plug of toilet paper or a tampon Mcagyver could make it work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread