Status
Not open for further replies.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
Hi, everyone!

My wife is having a lot of trouble quitting (we started vaping in Sept. '09). I read about using Snus, and that they are something women can get away with socially, because you don't spit while using them. I also read the ones that work best come from Sweden (?).

She has had some problems with gingivitis, and had some kind of below-the-gum cleaning and even a small gum-skin-graft type of procedure. Will Snus be a bad idea?

Would somebody mind directing me to a reputable retailer, or pointing me to a post that is an overview of smokeless tobacco products that work well for vapers? Being from the South, she's been around plenty of men who dip or chew. It's not going to be easy to get her to try it, so I had better have my facts straight when I broach the subject with her...

"Hey, honey, why don't ya just get some CHAW?" = FAIL.

A nice overview-type sticky at to top of this forum would be very helpful, as well (hint, hint...)

Thanks!

-quasi

maureengill

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Trainer PA
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
Hi, everyone!

My wife is having a lot of trouble quitting (we started vaping in Sept. '09). I read about using Snus, and that they are something women can get away with socially, because you don't spit while using them. I also read the ones that work best come from Sweden (?).

She has had some problems with gingivitis, and had some kind of below-the-gum cleaning and even a small gum-skin-graft type of procedure. Will Snus be a bad idea?

Would somebody mind directing me to a reputable retailer, or pointing me to a post that is an overview of smokeless tobacco products that work well for vapers? Being from the South, she's been around plenty of men who dip or chew. It's not going to be easy to get her to try it, so I had better have my facts straight when I broach the subject with her...

A nice overview-type sticky at to top of this forum would be very helpful, as well (hint, hint...)

Thanks!

-quasi

I had the same concern...just had a scalar planar done a couple months ago and don't want that 600 bucks to go to waste. I chose snuff...and I must say that although it's only been two days (there is a learning curve here too) so far I like it. It may be a good option for those of us that have concerns about our gums.

Maureen

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
Quasimod, I'm sure others here will chime in with the info you need for you're wife. I just wanted to let you know that my fiancee has started to try to quit smoking also with General mini mints. She loves the flavor, and says they satisfy her nicotine requirements when she can't smoke better than the gum. She is also having some extensive dental work done, and says they don't bother her gums or teeth. I think when General finally comes out with the regular mint portions she will have an easier time.

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
although i'm more of a snuffer, i still do enjoy snus. most people will agree that swedish snus is more enjoyable than american snus, both because of flavor and nicotine content. personally, i dont have much information on the issue with teeth and gums, but i believe i've heard that long term snus use may have an effect on receding gumline(but don't quote me...). i'm sure that other snus-ers on this forum will have more fact-based information for you.

another option for you or your wife is the dissolvable tobacco products, such as Stonewall/Ariva dissolvables. they are basically like a mint that dissolves in your mouth/on your tongue, instead of a pouch that sits in your lip.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
FWIW quasi

I don't have any of the safety study links available, can't find em'. Suffice to say snus is shown to be a lot safer than chew. STUBBY!

From what I've learned so far you should probably start with an average nic content and milder flavors. Portion instead of Los (loose).
Branch out from there.

Traditional Swedish process uses, among other flavorings, salt and oil of Bergamot. Those are the first things IMO that can hit a new user in a negative manner. After a short period of time you don't notice the salt, but a low salt snus would be good for starters.

Average nic is 8mg. The snus with higher levels of nicotine per gram, or portion can be to much for some, like me! Other folks thrive on the Sterks and Ekstra Sterks, 9 to 11mg, and 15mg and up.

What I consider milder in taste would be Ettan Original and a new one to me, Swedish Matchs' Lab Series 01 is mild as well.
Bit stronger in salt and tobacco flavor but still on the mild side is General Original. That would give you a good representation of the "traditional" taste.

General Wintergreen and General Mini Mints are 2 popular mint flavored snus that I feel are easy to take.
The Wintergreen is a White portion @8mg and the Mini Mints are a Mini portion @4mg.

This post serves as a good primer for the "nuts and bolts" of snus.

Review sites:
Snus Test and Swedish Snus Review
http://www.snuscentral.org/snus-revi...dish-snus.html

I've used the following vendors and readily endorse them both.
The Northerner, largest selection, in Sweden, reasonable to average prices and shipping costs.

GetSnus, smaller selection than Northerner, in Pennsylvania, better prices and fast cheap shipping. They will use UPS for orders over $20 so if you go over that amount e-mail them to specify USPS

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
quasi......I have to go with nasal snuff as a better smokeless alternative.Way better for the gums.I am going through some Periodontal treatments(or will be soon),and have some reservations on any further snus usage.Snuff does work for me(along with vaping)to curb the Nic beast! Here's a link or two if she decides to take that alternate route! Nasal Dry Snuff, Accessories : Nicotine Rush and Mr. Snuff | Free Snuff Every Order | 99c Specials | Nasal Snuff | Dry Snuff (Free sample with puchase from either)

Good Luck to your Wife!!

:)The Wiz!

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I have had some gum issues, but I had those before I started using snus. Actually have a scalar planar coming up on one tooth but its well away from where I place my snus so it's not related. I not going to say their can't be any gum problems with snus, their can be, but overall gum issues are less then with smoking. Also much less then with american style oral tobacco. The main reason for that is Swedish snus doesn't use sugar while american stuff is loaded with it.

One thing I do is make sure the portion is not touching the gum line. I fold my portions in half length wise (the shorter end is even shorter). This keeps it well away from the gum line. It also makes it a bit more discreet.

Coder

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
PA
Hi, everyone!

Thanks!

-quasi

You may want to look at Stonewall's spitless, tobacco tablets, i remember Trolical Bob raved about them.
Coder

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You may want to look at Stonewall's spitless, tobacco tablets, i remember Trolical Bob raved about them.
Coder

I second the Stonewalls.

I too was put off by the idea of a "lady with chaw" Yes, I know snus isn't like that, but I couldn't get the picture out of my head. I also couln't bring myself to use snuff. One of the reasons I wanted to quit smoking, is because I always had a little tar stain on my nose - maybe because I French inhale all the time. How much grosser would "snuff snot" be?

I know, I know... it's just me. Maybe it's a girl thing, so it could apply to his wife.

Stonewalls. to me, are like sucking on a coffee flavored tic tac. There is nothing icky or nasty, or unladylike about it.

~A

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
I never manage to snuff without a mess, either, but on the other hand, it most certainly was, for a very long time, the lady-like way to take your tobacco. So you cold just claim that you are old-fashioned ;)

As for the snus, particularly those mini-bags are so small that most candies are bigger. They have the mass of maybe three Tic-Tacs, but it's a soft bag, not hard candy. As snus seems to be fairly easily available in the US (it's a bit tricky in Germany, but by no means impossible), and it does not seem to be expensive, either, why not just get a box of minis? That is, after checking out the snus and gum problem, which does seem to be rather one of people who have one of those in their mouth pretty much all day, and probably most of the time not the minis, either.
After all, no tobacco product (and PVs not, either) has such a long and proven safety record.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Is that an acronym? I don't know what it means, sorry. Google wasn't any help.

Quasi, as I didn't have any information regarding the oral safety of snus handy that was a shout out for this member...

I have had some gum issues, but I had those before I started using snus. Actually have a scalar planar coming up on one tooth but its well away from where I place my snus so it's not related. I not going to say their can't be any gum problems with snus, their can be, but overall gum issues are less then with smoking. Also much less then with american style oral tobacco. The main reason for that is Swedish snus doesn't use sugar while american stuff is loaded with it.

One thing I do is make sure the portion is not touching the gum line. I fold my portions in half length wise (the shorter end is even shorter). This keeps it well away from the gum line. It also makes it a bit more discreet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread