Will 10mL Eliquids Be Discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Got this in an email from a vendor late this afternoon, that I've bought tanks and various parts from, but not eliquids. Makes me wonder if others will follow suit. It was titled: "Farewell to the 10mL"

"Unfortunately, we'll have to discontinue all 10mL products from our lineup (which also includes sampler packs). Based on federal regulations, all covered tobacco products must have warning labels by August 10, 2018 and the 10ml is just too small to comply. (They show a picture of a 10mL bottle of eliquid and the warning label that's required to be on it.)

These warnings have to be displayed in such a way that there's no way to have the warning along with other information needed to properly identify the product. We're bummed about this too, but it is what it is."

They go on to say: "What remains unclear to us is why the FDA regulates these products as "tobacco products" in the first place. The FDA should be developing an appropriate regulatory framework geared towards furthering tobacco harm reduction. Something based upon product manufacturing standards and ingredient quality, not lumping vapor products in with tobacco."

Anyone else received an email with info. like this from a vendor?

RoundedColt8

Aug 2, 2018
Aw man, and I was glad to see that a lot of vendors have 10mL bottles. I like to sample different stuff, and 30mL "samples" can get pricey.
I know various people have different opinions on VapeWild, but from what I've seen, they've already developed the labels with warnings for the 10mL bottles, so their 10mLs should be safe. Dunno how many companies will put in the effort though :(

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I really hope other vendors don't follow suit and I can't imagine for the life of me why the label can't be shrunk, because really it's the older peeps that need reading glasses, and they already know about the "deadly nic sticker" and to keep it away from kiddos and the teens are going to be able to read the label regardless of how small it gets.

Anna

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
They go on to say: "What remains unclear to us is why the FDA regulates these products as "tobacco products" in the first place. The FDA should be developing an appropriate regulatory framework geared towards furthering tobacco harm reduction. Something based upon product manufacturing standards and ingredient quality, not lumping vapor products in with tobacco."

Simple. People blame FDA but it was Congress who passed the law that makes ecigs (before there were ecigs I think) tobacco.
If you want to blame the FDA for something it's not telling Congress to change the law, they would have a much easier time than we would.

I haven't seen it and can't find a picture.

Can't shrink labels, I think it specifies the size of type. They could change the shape of the bottles so the label could fit on a small size even if it's not 10ml. There are such things as labels that peel open to have a booklet inside.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Wasn't there a company that sold their juice shots/flavor in one bottle and nic in another? Maybe this is a way around it. How many drops of actual nic could there possibly be in a 10ml bottle???

I don't think that would matter. You don't have to have nicotine to be a tobacco product if you're intended to be used with a tobacco product. It's like playing Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I expect the 10ml bottles could be enclosed in packaging that would handle the new label, but I suspect that it's just not cost effective to do so in the face of declining liquid prices. Perhaps some vendors will create new sampler packs that can be compliant while not breaking the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread