Will DNA20/DNA30 mods render mech mods obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigmus9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Texas
With the advent of the DNA20 and soon to come DNA30 http://.........blogspot.com/2013/11/the-dna30-my-talk-with-brandon-from.html will we see an end to the short lived era of mechanical mods? Of course mods with the DNA20 chips start at $150 and only go up from there but over time as more and more companies adopt or in China's case just plain copy these DNA20 and 30 mods they will become more affordable. If and when the day comes that you can get a Smoktech SIDna30 or Vamo V7 with a DNA30 chip for $50 would that not be the end of mech mods as we know it?

Last edited:

Sigmus9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Texas
So if we take the cost out of the equation and say you could get a decent DNA20 or 30 mod for the price of a decent mech mod, what exactly are the benefits of a mechanical mod over a say DNA20 based mod or even a DNA30 based mod. Theoretically a DNA30 mod could do absolutely anything a mechanical mod can do but do it much more safely, efficiently and with more options for a customized vape than even a mech mod with a kick and a fuse could do. Am I missing something here?

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
With the advent of the DNA20 and soon to come DNA30 http://.........blogspot.com/2013/11/the-dna30-my-talk-with-brandon-from.html will we see an end to the short lived era of mechanical mods? Of course mods with the DNA20 chips start at $150 and only go up from there but over time as more and more companies adopt or in China's case just plain copy these DNA20 and 30 mods will become more affordable and if and when the day comes that you can get a Smoktech SID or Vamo V7 with a DNA30 chip for $50 would that not be the end of mech mods as we know it?

I say definitely "maybe". Given the ability of the DNA chipsets to actually increase power out beyond what the battery itself is capable of producing (as I understand it), as well as provide a consistent vape, I have to go with a resounding maybe. If nothing else, it will certainly draw a lot of attention from the mech world. Will it be enough to "kill" a mech mod? Only time will tell.

Juste my :2c:!

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Now the person that can build a DNA device INTO a mech mod while retaining the "look" of a mech (such as the kick)

As williebb123 said...you won't get rid of the mechs, too many people (just like hotrodders) enjoy the high performance and customizing ability of mechs...the DNA is the APV of the mech world

What it will do is open up another chapter in the very high power box mod types

Too many people like too many different things...it just creates a new "niche" in the vaping community (how many people do you know like cigalikes)

Just imagine a DNA30 kick..woo!

Can the DNA 20/30 handle sub ohm? I love my lavatube v1 and v2 but they won't do diddly under 1.1 ohm. My mec mod runs at .3 all day long for the huge clouds that I love.

I really like the idea of a PWM power supply cause it can boost or cut the voltage to particular needs and battery charges last a lot longer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
the only reason mechs have any benefits over electronic is 2 things, #1 is mechs can theoretically do much higher wattage than electronics at this point & #2, many vapors are afraid of a day when they won't be able to buy any kind of pv and they think the mech will last forever. take these 2 things out of the equation and electronic is better in every way

and my dna can do .6 ohms all day long, never any contact issues never any misfiring never need to do contact maintenance, always fires 100%

Sigmus9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Texas
I understand the aesthetic appeal of mechs and it is true that they will probably always be around no matter how obsolete they become just some people will always just prefer what they prefer out of personal taste. What I'm wondering is if when DNA30 mods become as affordable as Smoktech SIDs would they not basically render mechs totally obsolete? If you could get subohm and 30watt power out of one device that had a built in ohm checker, battery charge checker, cut off safety, vv, vw, on/off switch, reverse, short circuit and overdischarge protection with a customizable oled screen then why other than for novelty sake would anyone every pay equal price for a much less performing and more dangerous device? Would they not become completely obsolete? Sure there will be old school and hipster folks who would argue that mechs are the only way to go, but if you take personal preference and novelty out of the equation it seems like the mech mod's days are numbered. Or am I completely wrong?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
well first for sub ohming - the lower power usually starts at 30 watts so, dna isnt replacing that any time soon.
as for this DNA 30? so far the only person that says it exists is a blogger from new jersey. noone else when asked knows anything about it.

as for price? doubt it the board itself is 40 bucks, china cant crack it and the mods using it arent cheap.

as for mechs short lived? you havent been around very long obviously. while the cheap VW mods are getting better, many still use an inferior wave form that doesnt produce vapor the same as a pure DC device.

all that fancy stuff is all more stuff to go wrong, especially oled screens, soon as they get wet in any they are shot, why anyone is using these in mods is beyond me.

but if you take personal preference and novelty out of the equation it seems like the mech mod's days are numbered. Or am I completely wrong?
head over to the caravela forums and ask them why they paid 2000+ euro's for a pure silver mechanical.
You present personal preference like it isnt a consideration when buying something. lol not everyone geeks out on specs and goes I dont care what it looks like it has these features!

Last edited:

Niles Krane

Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Thrasher i agree with you on your points, war hawk also some valid points. The range and variety is what makes vaping enjoyable there is a bit for just about any one. I believe this is my belief that mechs are the way to go they are durable and simplistic as well as i feel a bit more hands on. That does not mean I am the normal person. I have met quite a few people in my short time as a vaper that are happy with a cig a like, some with an ego twist type, some with a provari then there are those with the dna 20 box mods, as well as people like me the mech mod/ hybrid. My point being if this is going to be successful it is my opinion that there has got to be variation. Just as not all of us smoked marlboros, or 100's or filtered. It is a matter of preference and as long as consumers show a preference for a type of mod there will probably be some one to create it/ manufacture. I couldn't imagine having the same thing as every one else so i don't i. my bottom line is that no matter how good something may be lets face it not everyone will like it. I do not intend to sound condescending and apologize if i do. The choice of options make this appeal to me and without options i don't kno if id have stuck around.

Sigmus9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Texas
well first for sub ohming - the lower power usually starts at 30 watts so, dna isnt replacing that any time soon.

according to ohms law the dna20 can handle as low as 0.69 ohms and the 30 watt will handle 0.46 ohms so, yeah, subohming is not gonna be an issue and dna20's are doing it like a champ right now, as you read this, someone is subohming and blowing clouds on a dna20 device like an oldschool locomotive, and much much more safely than someone on a mechanical mod is.
And as far as people nerding out over specs.... you do realize this is the internet right? Oh and yes, mech mod popularity looks like it will be short lived, I have a PS3 that has been around longer than mech mods have been popular and it looks like it will outlive them as well. I have no doubt China will clone or improve upon the dna20 by next year which by that time we ought to have the dna30 in mods and by 2015 I see mechanical mods going the way of the revolver. sure some people still like to use revolvers but it's a very niche market that is outsold 10 to 1 and that's being generous.

Sigmus9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Texas
you know, I don't even think it's fair to compare mech mods to dna30 mods as you would a revolver to a modern semiauto pistol. the niche who use revolvers in a practical way, say other than to do civil war reenactments use them for conceal carry. They are more reliable than subcompact semiautos and when your life is on the line, a lot of folks choose the less accurate, smaller ammo capacity revolvers for their reliable, durable design. You cannot tell me that mech mods are that much more reliable than than their digital counterparts, you can find plenty of threads on this forum of people having issues with mech mods and I doubt there is any solid data anyone can produce that would show that mech mods are substantially more reliable than electronic mods in general. And to me, safety is what's truly important here. If you are wanting to subohm and want to push batteries to their absolute limits you cannot argue that the safety systems in place in electronic mods are'nt far more desirable than the increased chance of having your hand and face blown off or burning to death along with your house and family cause you accidently fell asleep the your mod. Why if you can have the same performance with more options and ease of use with a vastly safer system would you go for an inferior, more dangerous product? If you need to get to work will you rather have a car with a seatbelt and airbags or would you rather have a crotch rocket that has iffy breaks, has been know to randomly explode and has a minimum speed of 90 miles per hour? sure some idiots would buy the thing but good luck getting insurance on it and make sure you make your peace with god before you ride.
The vast majority of ecig users use Blu and Halo and eGo style systems and mech mods are a niche that looks to me like they are going to be become even more niche thanks to the upcoming niche market for dna20/30 systems. What I'm talking about here is the near future, not the present, I for one am very excited about seeing affordable dna30 devices.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
1,000 answers will give you 1,000 opinions, what is it that you are trying to see here, whether you are right or wrong? well you are right, and you are wrong, depending on who you ask. I don't think too many here are really qualified to accurately predict the future :)

no one can conclusively say anything other than mechs will still be around for a good long time.... will they eventually go the way of the carburetor in favor of fuel injection, yes, for the most part I believe they will eventually... but even today you do still have some specialty cars that still use carburetors and I'd say that in the very distant future when even most pv's are electronic there will always be some that are still using there mech. it works and will work indefinitely in many cases....

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Some things taste better without the digital readouts.

I would love a DNA20 or better. Can't afford it now. I do however have a Vamo V2 and a LM2695 I built myself, as well as 2 each mechs and a couple of 18650 Bolts.

They All have their own taste!

That, in and of it's self, will keep mechs around even longer (heh.. they've been here since the start...).

Burn14me

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2013
El paso Texas
[QUOTE=Sigmus9;11452630. Theoretically a DNA30 mod could do absolutely anything a mechanical mod can do but do it much more safely, efficiently and with more options for a customized vape than even a mech mod with a kick and a fuse could do. Am I missing something here?[/QUO

Try putting anything with electronics in water take it out put in battery and fire all mechanicals will show any electronic device that can that is the difference mechanical is more forgiving

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    So if we take the cost out of the equation and say you could get a decent DNA20 or 30 mod for the price of a decent mech mod, what exactly are the benefits of a mechanical mod over a say DNA20 based mod or even a DNA30 based mod. Theoretically a DNA30 mod could do absolutely anything a mechanical mod can do but do it much more safely, efficiently and with more options for a customized vape than even a mech mod with a kick and a fuse could do. Am I missing something here?

Only that once a PV does everything that YOU want, what else does it need to do?!?

ps:
    I've never turned my Kick all the way up, why in the world would I need 30 watts?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread