Will I be happy with a coil of 1.0-1.5 ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qfivenine

Dec 21, 2013
At my place
So, my first mechanical is coming and I apologise for the many questions I already asked but one thing has me wondering. People seem to like 0.7, 0.8 ohms on their mechanicals. I want to have my rba's working on both mechanicals and regulated mods, so I have to have at least 1.3 ohms I think. Will I still have an enjoyable vape on a mechanical, even when the battery starts to drop and is around 3.6-3.7 volts? Thank you.

Exile

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
Dallas,Tx
1.2 ohm is the lowest that most vv mods will fire. But that being said there is a big different between a 0.8 ohm coil and a 1.2 ohm coil. There is even a big difference between a 1 ohm coil and a 1.2 ohm coil. (imo)

Will you be happy with a 1.2 ohm coil so that you can swap it back and forth between vv mods and mech mods? Yes... but would you be even happier with a 0.8-1 ohm coil? Yes! :vapor:

Id say just set you up a RBA at say 1.2-1.3 ohm for your vv mods. Then set you up a different RBA at say 0.8-1 ohm for your mechanical mods.

Last edited:

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
To answer your question - yes . .I think 1.3ohms on a mech is enjoyable. A lot of people use 1.5 and even 2.0 ohm devices on mech's and love it. I know for my own style of vaping I can be happy with anything 1.5 and under on a mech . .it's just that with the higher ohms, I would need to swap batteries more frequently.

Personally . .I use both regulated devices and mechs and I coil differently for each. When going straight off the battery, I like a "microcoil-esque" coil at anywhere from .8-1.1 ohms. When I'm using my kick2, I do 2.2ohms microcoil. I actually can use a .8 coil on a kick2 but I prefer it straight off the battery.

The microcoil has changed everything for me . .not only are they better tasting and performing than the silica "rabbit ears" coils I used to make, they are also much easier . . I can roll and install a new coil in less than 5 minutes in any of my devices so I don't really mind tailoring the coil to the device.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
I enjoy resistances from 0.5 - 2.0 Ω on my unkicked mechs. Depends on the delivery device and the juice, as well as my mood at the time. I have a VV and VW option and don't use it. None of my cigars, including Padron Anniversaries and Fuente Fuente Opus X, are the same smoke from beginning to end, and I enjoy that. Same with my vapes. YMMV

eda123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Austin
If you are using a vv or VW device it makes no difference. Sub or or low ohm makes no difference if you can dial in your voltage and your mod can handle the current draw. Unregulated mods need sub ohm coils to get their wattage up. Vv mods can simply turn up their voltage.

Sent from my Provari Mini using Tapatalk

steel bender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA
Wow, this is hilarious. I disagree with almost everyone. I used to think I preferred a 1.2 ohm coil over anything sub-ohm, though lately I've been preferring 1.6 over 1.2. I still like this over ANY sub-ohm.

At these or any resistances, I would rather use a mech than regulated apv. It just seems to hit faster, I've become spoiled and I don't like "waiting" the whole second, lol, for my svd to fire up.

With the "higher" resistance, I've found that I swap my batteries much LESS often. A 1.6 ohm coil uses less amps than a 1.2 coil, so the battery drains slower. Even after a whole day vaping, my batts are usually only down to 3.7 volts and it's still a good vape.

I've never seen a need to use a kick. I'm very happy with my setups and don't think I'll ever bother getting one.

So, to answer your question, YMMV. Try different things, until you find your sweet spot.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
The beauty of RBing A's is that if your not happy with the warmth of vape, you just rip the coil out, build another with a couple less or more wraps and slam it on there. Put in a wick, saturate, vape and see if ya like.

Unless it's waaaay off in heat, I usually give it a day to see how it matures.

Give it a shot and see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread