Will my Luc 2 or 4 charge 21700 batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new Pico S on the way from China, so I might pick up 1 or 2 21700s for it.
I have 2 chargers - 1 Luc 2 & 1 Luc 4 but I'm not entirely sure if either
of those will work on 21700.
Bought a new I2 but it was either junk or defective (most likely) 'cause 1st
time I used it to charge 2 brand new Sony VT6s (from Illumn) it got way too
hot!
I'm getting a new one sent out to me but I'm afraid the new one might not be good
because of the way they ship them - in an envelope, not an actual box.
So even if the I2 leaves the store in perfect shape, I think after the P.O. gets
done juggling it that it may become defective (loose connection,etc.).
Anyone confirm Luc compatability?

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
According to WWW.IMRBatteries.com the answer is NO for the LUC4, but YES for the LUC2. Go figure. I have a LUC 4 and always thought the LUC 2 was just a dual bay version of the LUC 4.

FWIW, those batteries were designed for use in battery packs for electric cars. vaping has used off the shelf component batteries for alternate purposes for a long time (good thing for us).

Chargers Which Fit 20700 & 21700 Cells

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I can confirm that the Luc line of chargers can fit a 21700, but is very tight and easily rips the wraps on the batteries. I use my old nitecore I keep as a backup and use it for charging 21700s (I think it is the I line of nitecore's chargers but all of their chargers I have seen so far fits them) and they fit with plenty of room to spare.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I use my Nitecore D4 to charge my 20700 and 21700 batteries. They are a tight fit, but no damage to wraps or anything like that.

I'm guessing it may shorten the lifespan of the charger though because the springs are stretched all the way to the max when inserting a battery like this.

I'm just really careful inserting them to not stretch it any more than needed. To make removal easier, I use a piece of ribbon under the battery and lift the battery out from the top when it's done. Has been working fine for me.

I've got an inexpensive backup charger I can use when my D4 fails, so I'm going to continue using it for now with 2x700 and will pick up a better equipped charger at some point or when the D4 fails.

I wasn't using 2x700 batteries when I bought the D4 or I probably would have gotten something different. It is working for me though.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Only the NEW i Nitecores fit 2x700s though.

I got warn you about the the Nitecore if you are mechanical user. This was my experience with the "New I4", if I dropped below 3.2v on the battery the Nitecore I had would never recover the battery it would only charge it back to 3v. I would have to put battery on my old xtar to get it above 3.2v to get the nitecore to charge it. The cut off built into the 20700 and 21700 is 2.5v. If you just use regulated devices you will be fine. This my second issue with a Nitecore only Xtar for me now. The great thing about using 20700s and 21700s in the VP4 Plus there is plenty of room all around since I think it will hold 4 26650s and room to spare for a 21700 against the contact spring.

Last edited:

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I got warn you about the the Nitecore if you are mechanical user. This was my experience with the "New I4", if I dropped below 3.2v on the battery the Nitecore I had would never recover the battery it would only charge it back to 3v. I would have to put battery on my old xtar to get it above 3.2v to get the nitecore to charge it. The cut off built into the 20700 and 21700 is 2.5v. If you just use regulated devices you will be fine. This my second issue with a Nitecore only Xtar for me now. The great thing about using 20700s and 21700s in the VP4 Plus there is plenty of room all around since I think it will hold 4 26650s and room to spare for a 21700 against the contact spring.
Yeah, I think I'm already sold on the XSTAR Dragon VP4 as my next charger. Looks nice. Going to pick one up when I find them in stock. I can rotate my Nitecore D4 as my backup charger then.

got my replacement I2 yesterday - it too is overheating, both battery & charger were way too hot halfway thru charging a single 18650.
Maybe this is why I've stayed away from these Nitecores for so long.
I've got several Nitecore batteries that I've had for a long time & they're still going strong (couple 14500s & 16340s for various flashlights), but I never took a chance on their chargers - till now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread