Will the fda really ban flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeezus187

Oct 11, 2017
Los angeles california
I'm fearing that it will really happen leaving only menthols and tobacco idk man .... I vape so I won't taste tobacco and that's all they want to do is put you back on the smokes ...what can I do too help prevent this I know Grimm green is asking to fund the suit but the amount they need to obtain is a quarter of a million dollars which is way too much !! I know Canada already banned flavors

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Will the fda really ban flavors?

None of us can tell you the answer to that. But, if you're worried about it at all, don't let a possible ban on flavors (in ready-made eliquids), stop you from vaping flavors that you like. Do what many people have done in the last year or so, and even more lately...learn how to DIY (make your own eliquids)!

Flavorings used in them are readily available from many websites, and they're also used in candy-making and baking. They'll be available in the future. Two other ingredients in eliquids, PG and VG, are also sold for use in many other products, so they'll be available. Most people believe that the only thing used in making eliquids, that the FDA could potentially really affect the availability of...is the nicotine base. That's why lots of people are stocking up on it while it's still readily available.

IF you want to learn how to DIY your eliquids, so you can have flavors you like...I wouldn't wait too long to get started, if I were you. At least get some nicotine base to put in your freezer while you can anyway.

alvitae

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Oregon Usa
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. And since it's the government I usually count on the worst. They go slow because they want it to look like they are giving people a say and looking at studies...

Nicotine lasts for years in a freezer. China will ship to you no matter what. They don't care much what our idiot government says.

Jeezus187

Oct 11, 2017
Los angeles california
Will the fda really ban flavors?

None of us can tell you the answer to that. But, if you're worried about it at all, don't let a possible ban on flavors (in ready-made eliquids), stop you from vaping flavors that you like. Do what many people have done in the last year or so, and even more lately...learn how to DIY (make your own eliquids)!

Flavorings used in them are readily available from many websites, and they're also used in candy-making and baking. They'll be available in the future. Two other ingredients in eliquids, PG and VG, are also sold for use in many other products, so they'll be available. Most people believe that the only thing used in making eliquids, that the FDA could potentially really affect the availability of...is the nicotine base. That's why lots of people are stocking up on it while it's still readily available.

IF you want to learn how to DIY your eliquids, so you can have flavors you like...I wouldn't wait too long to get started, if I were you. At least get some nicotine base to put in your freezer while you can anyway.
Is there a website u can recommend I was thinking liquid barn

Reactions: stols001

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I know Canada already banned flavors
Wrong OH so very wrong, i'm vaping on twelve monkeys right now, they haven't banned them (yet)

Bill s5 mostly took the "tobacco laws" from some province like quebec and made them federal,flavors aren't concerned at all by this.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I think if you have a source of nicotine base, you will be fine.

Flavorings like this were and are used in candy, baking and the like as mentioned. They will continue to be used for those purposes, even if the FDA somehow bans them for e-cig use.

They will still continue to be sold, they just won't be advertised or the use for e-juice inferred in advertising. It's all in labeling and advertising. You may have to start flavoring your own juice, but I could even see companies selling pre-mixed flavor bases for 'candy' that you just add to unflavored juice. I'd be willing to bet many of the companies currently making e-juices, will sell the pre-mixed flavorings instead.

You may have to buy 'candy flavors', but folks will continue to use them as they see fit. There are many
'things' sold with an intended purpose other than what they are labeled.

I think the biggest hit by the FDA will be limiting/controlling and taxing nicotine bases and even unflavored e-juice. They a 'losing' a lot of tax revenue from tobacco since vaping has taken off and smoking is less popular. I'm sure they will make up for this by taxing nicotine bases sold for e-cig use. I mean heck, currently, I can buy a gallon of quality pre-mixed base for around $30. That's over 8 months of chain vaping DL for me. That is $3.75 per month for nicotine. How much is a pack of smokes these days? I have no idea.

Stock up on nicotine concentrate, and you will be fine. I've got at least 8.5L in the freezer and need to quit buying it, but it's SO INEXPENSIVE right now. That's about a 45 year supply for me and I probably won't live more than another 25, lol. I can't imagine how much it will cost/month to vape once the govt starts to tax the nicotine we use. I will probably buy another L or two in the fall when the weather cools down.

Get nic concentrate while you can. You WILL be able to get PG, VG and flavorings later. Flavoring may just be ridiculously labeled. Possibly even sold as food grade 'air fresheners'. Creative folks wanting to make money will figure out how to sell/label flavorings we can use.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I diy, so if commercial juice is regulated to tobacco only, I’ll be fine. I have a nic stash, and the rest of the ingredients will still be available.

However, I will still do whatever I can for the future of flavored juice. For the future vapers. For people who don’t or can’t diy.

What frustrates me is how little some people are willing to do for themselves. How many vapers are there in the USA alone? And how many of them are activists? How many sign petitions, fill out surveys, call/email representatives, donate or anything? I’d bet less than 1 in 20.

250 k might seem like a lot of money, but if every vaper donated $1...

And a lawsuit may do nothing. Probably will do nothing imho. But it does send a message. One thing our government pays attention to is money. They are keenly interested in what we do with money. And that’s why I donated. It’s as good as a vote. If they think for one minute that the vaping community has any financial power, they may stand up and listen.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
What's that? A banana made of snow?
Kappa.png

Not asking how you make it yellow...

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
it's not nice to bust on people for typos... ;)
T'was a little goof in good faith, not some grammar-SS death squad ;)

To stay on topic :D I'm not really sure where Gottlieb is going. Anti-vape groups are just as upset with the FDA as pro-vape groups. It certainly doesn't look good that they're evaluating flavors but it's not possible to predict the outcome yet. Maybe it's all a genius 4D chess strategy to save vaping? Or maybe it's the end of flavored liquid sold in stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread