Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
i was about 4-5 months ago, but i mean is not vaping alot healthier than vaping? does it have much of an impact on your lungs at all?

Vaping is harm reduction. It is much better than smoking, but if you are not a smoker then the best option of all is to neither smoke or vape. We took up vaping to switch from smoking. Nothing will be as healthy as simply breathing in air. :)

JinnMyst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2012
New York
i was about 4-5 months ago, but i mean is not vaping alot healthier than vaping? does it have much of an impact on your lungs at all?

If you are not suffering from smoking, you probably should not vape.

And yes, breathing fresh/clean air is much healthier than breathing anything else even if it proved to be harmless ;)

Just my :2c:

Muther

Dec 31, 2012
Michigan
As the old saying goes..... if you have to ask...LOL

I don't know if anyone knows yet. I'm personally certain that if you vape instead of smoking you are better off. if you vape for any other reason it is a choice and if your health is a major concern and your not craving nicotine doing it just for the taste, I see no reason to do it. thats why they make hard candies.

my life experience tells me that anything I enjoy is bad for you in one way or another...LOL to what degree vaping is un-heathy I have no idea but Im sure between smoking cigarettes, vaping and doing neither, doing neither is the best life choice. but vaping sure seems to me to be the best choice between the two habits.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand

It just occurred to me that you might be meaning you took up vaping 4-5 months ago? The truth is we don't have enough studies to know long term effects of vaping. Manyof us have experienced improved health, better breathing, and things like that. Vaping and running is going to be better than smoking and running.

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
Think of it like this: If smoking is a 35% block on your cardiovascular capacity, vaping is more like a 0.3% block - far, far, far better, (at least two orders of magnitude) but still a negative impact. If you're really looking for world class performance, it's not in the recipe. However, as a smoker, I was successfull in being able to train up to an 8 mile run, no stopping or walking, and could finish a 5K in just over 30 minutes. That's not race winning performance, but if you must do one or the other, you'll not likely notice an impact from vaping, wheras you will DEFINITELY notice an impact from smoking.

rhyzw

Jan 1, 2013
telford
Think of it like this: If smoking is a 35% block on your cardiovascular capacity, vaping is more like a 0.3% block - far, far, far better, (at least two orders of magnitude) but still a negative impact. If you're really looking for world class performance, it's not in the recipe. However, as a smoker, I was successfull in being able to train up to an 8 mile run, no stopping or walking, and could finish a 5K in just over 30 minutes. That's not race winning performance, but if you must do one or the other, you'll not likely notice an impact from vaping, wheras you will DEFINITELY notice an impact from smoking.

dude thats the reply i was looking for, i appreiciate it, how reliable would u say your answer was as to 0.3% from vaping do you believe it is that low? and how often do you run?

its for the navy, i have to do 1.5 miles in 11 minutes and i smoked weed for years so it was difficult to start with ive been vaping now for 3-4 months and definatly improved but its still difficult :)

Centurion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
East Coast USA
It's much easier on the lungs than smoking. It's probably not as easy on the lungs as plain air. I smoked on average maybe about a pack a day for twenty years. After some years I definitely noticed my lung capacity was reduced and I had shortness of breath sometimes. As a daily smoker, the coughing up of lung oysters was a common, daily occurrence. Now, after vaping for one year without smoking cigarettes at all, I can say my lung capacity is better, my shortness of breath from smoking is gone. I did seem to find that too much VG in juice tends to weigh the vapor down and make it so much heavier than air you can really feel the vapor. For the first drag of the day, even after a year of vaping, I did have to adjust daily to that heft of the vape. Only the first vape though. Switching to about 65PG/35VG makes the juice approximate the weight of real cig smoke much better and also wicks much nicer than mostly VG juices. Just my 2 cents.

NeMom

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2012
Midwest
dude thats the reply i was looking for, i appreiciate it, how reliable would u say your answer was as to 0.3% from vaping do you believe it is that low? and how often do you run?

its for the navy, i have to do 1.5 miles in 11 minutes and i smoked weed for years so it was difficult to start with ive been vaping now for 3-4 months and definatly improved but its still difficult

I am sure the vaping is better then smoking pot and analog cigs, however, if you are just now getting into running, it is going to take time to build up your distance and time. I would suggest you are out running every day in preparation for your test for the Navy.

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire

its for the navy, i have to do 1.5 miles in 11 minutes and i smoked weed for years so it was difficult to start with ive been vaping now for 3-4 months and definatly improved but its still difficult :)

The problem really is that noone knows for sure. I've a pretty solid scientific background and education, and I've been through the available literature. Thus far, there has been no harm of any kind shown from vaping (among those without an allergic reaction) that isn't present in anyone takling any other form of nicotine (as in a patch or gum).

That does -NOT- mean, however, that it's harmless. It means that the little bit of actual scientific research that has been concluded and presented for peer review hasn't found any harm yet. It takes a LOT more study (especially long term) to provide universal proof of safety.

Personally, yes, I do -believe- it's that low. I sure don't -know- it. However, it's the hypothesis I am currently working under. If I don't know it, then why do I believe it?

No tar - major impact on lung capacity.
No carbon monoxide!!!!!!!!! This is by far the most overlooked harm from cigarette burning. CO will displace O2 in your bloodstream, and hand around doing just that for hours. Without that, your blood carries much more oxygen and each breath helps get it to the rest of your body a LOT more!

Much less irritating to wet membrane tissue: just try french inhaling a vape, and then try it with a smoke and you'll feel it! If your lung tissue is swollen, angry, red, and irritated by a constant influx of smoke, then your boiler room isn't pumping at capacity!

Overall, there's nothing in vapor -to- cause problems with your CV capacity. There may be a residual irritant impact, but I find it hard to believe it's even a 1% measurable difference vs a non vaper.

Please bear in mind that what I've said here is -not- medical advice, nor is it an endorsement for vaping as a healthy activity. This is my own reasoning and opinion.

Also - when I was training to run, I was running every day. Morning, before breakfast. I would have a cup of green tea, stretch, shake out a bit, and run. Stretching in a hot shower afterwards. I would skip maybe 1 or 2 days a week or so, but I tried not to skip 2 in a row.

Last edited:
I agree with everything here and will attest to the immediate changes I seen in my pulse.

Literally my heart would POUND in my ears from walking up and down stairs. I could feel it even in my cartoid artery on my neck.

The very first day I was off of cigs completely and dutifully honest to eCigs, my pounding heart syndrome ceased. I mean the very first day.

I am now gearing up to start heading back into the gym to work off the fat I have accumulated over the years as well, becaused I was so busted and out of shape from smoking I couldn't gas through a workout without wanting to heave. Now, I can at least attack it with some fervor. :D

Best of luck on your PT test.

Reactions: shane1488

xrufx

Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Southern Oregon
Just to weigh in on this; I, like Dzaw, can't say for sure if it's better or worse for you. I agree that we need more scientific investigation. I can however speak to my own personal experience.

Being an enthusiastic indoor climber, I didn't notice until I switched from analogs to ecigs how much my performance improved. In a short time I was able to learn more advanced routes faster and stick the tricky holds. My progress jumped quite a bit in just 2 months and I was less winded. I could step outside after a good route, take a few puffs and go right back in and hit it again. 1 hour sessions turned into 2+ hour sessions. No more heavy feeling and I could power up harder and longer. Perhaps it has something to do with increased oxygen.

Surely some of that has to do with the cumulative effect of training, but I had been climbing regularly for 8 or so months prior.

Whatever the case, I'm happy to feel like I have my teenage endurance back. And that is worth any hardware/software cost.

Pacificvibe

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
Oak Harbor, WA
I'm currently in the Navy, I have been both a smoker and ecig user while I've been in. I've found as far as PT goes switching to ecigs has helped a bit. I'm not as gassed after a longer run since I've switched to ecigs. I will say if your going to boot camp anytime soon it might be a good idea to rid the nic habit now before u get there. It will make it easier since you won't be able to smoke/vape while your there. I still remember smoking my last cig after getting of the plane in Chicago and then smelling the smoke from the RDC's and wanting to smoke so badly lol. Anyway good luck with the test man.

rhyzw

Jan 1, 2013
telford
You could try vaping and not inhaling. Some people actually employ this technique as do I when I feel like my lungs get a tad "heavy" feeling from vaping too much. At those times, I just hold the vapor in my mouth and exhale through my nose or straight exhale out the mouth.

Just a thought.

thanks for the idea thats awesome didnt think of that, surely that would have no impact on your lungs at all as your not inhaling it? please reply would like ur feedback :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread