Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm assuming you're talking about building your own coils. For flavor at low wattage, Kanthal is certainly going to be the easiest to build with. As to the metal affecting the taste itself, I never noticed much difference between SS and Kanthal, but never tried Ni so can't comment. If I had to choose on the basis of flavor alone, maybe a slight preference for SS, but that could all be in my head

If you mean factory coils and what metal for flavor, I think there are so many other issues in a premade coils that the metal is probably not the dominant issue.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Ive got stainless in the mail. I hear nichome and titanium are hard to re wick and clean and dont last very long. I want flavor as well but I don't want to build a coil every time i need to re wick.
SS316L, very similar to kanthal but lower resistance.. I've had coils last up to 40 days I then decided to change it up but it was still going strong :D

Reactions: MegaVaper

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
My mistake, I think im talking about Ni200. NiChrome is a Nickle Chrome composite Chrome is to help with the Longevity.

For Ni200, yeah, I would go with that.

Ni200 is (to me) Hard to work with. It is Basically Pure Nickel. The Coils are Flimsy at just about Any Ohms.

NiChrome 80 is 80% Nickel and 20% Chromium. And has Similar Physical properties for Coil Building as Kanthal(s).

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I've used Kanthal, NI200, TI, and SS, and I prefer NI200 at this time, but it can be a pain to use, just like TI, it can be very springy. I prefer NI200 at 28 gauge, which holds it's shape the best, and never had trouble with getting the OHM just right. Somehow, 26 and 30 gauge can be quite difficult to get it to stop springing (but got some great coils with 26) but even then I've had a lot more trouble with TI, regardless of gauge I tried.

I've just started with SS and it's been fairly ok, but I need to play more with it (and just received my spools not that long ago). I consider SS as possibly my next go-to, but I have some mods that doesn't do TC with SS, which I prefer using, so I might need to use both SS and NI200 at the time.

And note I have a lot of my NI200 builds that have lasted 3 weeks and more... it really depends on the liquid you use that will gum up your cotton and coil.

For metal taste, never had issues with NI200, but has some with a couple of TI pre-built cartridges. Some people told me that TI does take a break-in period, which, with doing my own builds with TI, I found it better (no metallic taste with those).

But for flavour chaser, it's hard to beat TC as you can fine tune things to get the right heat and stabilize it to get the maximum out of the coil and liquid.

Last edited:

disley

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
Australia
Ive got stainless in the mail. I hear nichome and titanium are hard to re wick and clean and dont last very long. I want flavor as well but I don't want to build a coil every time i need to re wick.
I don't know where you heard that.
Ti lasts months.
I have a 0.21ohm Ti coil in my Aeronaut dripper, with a rayon wick.
I've changed the wick twice since February, and cleaned the coil each time.
It's 6 months since I put this coil in and it's still going strong.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
For the NI haters... I've know some people that claimed the same... then they were vaping on one of my builds.. they never noticed it, simply commented (very positively) on my flavour (I was experimenting doing mixes of my liquids with various flavours, before I started doing DIY). Telling them my coil was NI on TC and they didn't know what to say.

I just find that the whole "can taste" NI thing is more of a psychosomatic thing, at least done in exaggeration because others claim tasting something.

Reactions: disley

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
For the NI haters... I've know some people that claimed the same... then they were vaping on one of my builds.. they never noticed it, simply commented (very positively) on my flavour (I was experimenting doing mixes of my liquids with various flavours, before I started doing DIY). Telling them my coil was NI on TC and they didn't know what to say.

I just find that the whole "can taste" NI thing is more of a psychosomatic thing, at least done in exaggeration because others claim tasting something.

I'm not a Ni200 Hater. Just Doesn't taste very good as a Coil Wire for Me. If someone else Loves it, that's Great. And that is what they should use.

One Size Doesn't Fit All. And the 1st Rule of Vaping is Use what You Like the Best. No matter what Anyone says you should Like or Use.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I'm not a Ni200 Hater. Just Doesn't taste very good as a Coil Wire for Me. If someone else Loves it, that's Great. And that is what they should use.

One Size Doesn't Fit All. And the 1st Rule of Vaping is Use what You Like the Best. No matter what Anyone says you should Like or Use.

I'm just saying that I've lost count of how many NI coils I've made, and I've yet to have a single person that tries my builds to even notice a single thing, even if they never used NI or they said that they can taste it and don't like it.

Of course it's a question of people having preferences, but I've also seen many (even "pros") that simply don't do the TC metals right, get hot spots (which WILL get you a metallic taste because you ARE burning the metal) or can't cotton properly, something that some can luck out with a forgiving build of kanthal or other. Some I believe, are so used to building with kanthal that using a TC wire just doesn't work for them, they can't treat it correctly.

As I stated, I found that the pre-built TI coils that I've tried where pretty crappy, gave me an illusion that TI must be like that... but I got some wire, built my own, and no bad metallic taste, turned out that pre-built coils have issues that I don't get when I build them myself. Not a fan of TI because it's very springy and getting the built (OHM) right is a fairly big pain I find, but I still plan to continue using it.

I simply don't find any metal that I've tried so far to have any "taste". I go with what I know and seen here, and unless one is burning the metal, one shouldn't be tasting it, unless a possible allergy, but even then, tests have shows that again, even if allergic to NI, unless you burn the metal (from a bad built or not using TC with it), most won't even get a single reaction to it.

So I'm not being rude or insulting, just stating my observations. NI is just always the "popular" one for people to dis on, which I personally find unfounded.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm just saying that I've lost count of how many NI coils I've made, and I've yet to have a single person that tries my builds to even notice a single thing, even if they never used NI or they said that they can taste it and don't like it.

Of course it's a question of people having preferences, but I've also seen many (even "pros") that simply don't do the TC metals right, get hot spots (which WILL get you a metallic taste because you ARE burning the metal) or can't cotton properly, something that some can luck out with a forgiving build of kanthal or other. Some I believe, are so used to building with kanthal that using a TC wire just doesn't work for them, they can't treat it correctly.

As I stated, I found that the pre-built TI coils that I've tried where pretty crappy, gave me an illusion that TI must be like that... but I got some wire, built my own, and no bad metallic taste, turned out that pre-built coils have issues that I don't get when I build them myself. Not a fan of TI because it's very springy and getting the built (OHM) right is a fairly big pain I find, but I still plan to continue using it.

I simply don't find any metal that I've tried so far to have any "taste". I go with what I know and seen here, and unless one is burning the metal, one shouldn't be tasting it, unless a possible allergy, but even then, tests have shows that again, even if allergic to NI, unless you burn the metal (from a bad built or not using TC with it), most won't even get a single reaction to it.

So I'm not being rude or insulting, just stating my observations.

That's all Good. And if you Can't Taste any difference in Wire Alloys, that Great.

But Many People Can. And Prefer One Wire type over Another. And for those who can Taste a Difference, I say that they should Use what they like the Best.

BTW - I've read Many Posts about people Saying the same thing about Cotton. Some say that it All Tastes the Same. Some Say that some have Different Tastes. And some say if you can Taste It then you are doing it Wrong.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
That's all Good. And if you Can't Taste any difference in Wire Alloys, that Great.

But Many People Can. And Prefer One Wire type over Another. And for those who can Taste a Difference, I say that they should Use what they like the Best.

BTW - I've read Many Posts about people Saying the same thing about Cotton. Some say that it All Tastes the Same. Some Say that some have Different Tastes. And some say if you can Taste It then you are doing it Wrong.

As I said... some people that stated that they don't like NI, tried my builds, didn't know that it was NI and didn't even notice (nor could even tell), and that's my point.

I would bet you that if I'd have identical 5 mods/tanks all with various metal builds in front of "those that can tell" and do a random test, I'd honestly be extremely surprised if anyone would manage to identify them, I actually don't think they would. Someone should organize that. (I've yet to see it done anywhere)

For cotton, I would absolutely avoid anything bleached, and would believe that until any cotton is broken in, there is a taste to it, it's quite different from being the porous substance that the liquid is in and that will absorb any particles or such, as opposed to the clean surface of the metal of the coil that simply evaporates it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread