wires role in flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dleister1981

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
Michigan USA
i was wondering if anyone could tell me where you get more flavor in a numerically higher gauge wire ie. 28 gauge or in a lower gauge ie. 22 gauge. not worried about ohms. i just swapped from to a lower ohm build and itt seems like i lost flavor via a lower gauge and i wanted to know if its in my head or a fact i havent discovered yet

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I don't believe wire gauge... assuming all other variables are matched to the gauge (including net resistance / wick capillary action appropriate juices) to provide similar surface area/wick exposure and heat flux... makes much of a difference.

One might think that wire gauge makes a difference simply because a particular gauge is used to obtain a desired net resistance... where gauge is more a practical requirement than an option. You wouldn't use 24 gauge for a 2.0Ω build anymore than you'd use 32 gauge (unless braided/twisted) for a 0.25Ω build.

I find that excellent favor can be obtained with most any net resistance, if all the components and current outputs are in harmony. juice PG/VG percentages can be a variable that few consider... some juice blends simply taste (or are vaporized) subjectively "better" with variations in net resistance, wick material and heat flux.

dleister1981

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
Michigan USA
thank you very much for the reply, i do believe that i just got things out of sync and thats what was doing it was just the extra heat from the lower ohm build, i just had to dial back the power some and my flavor came back, end of the day i think i just figured out that i dont need to build with anything bigger than 26 gauge in my rba's for my tastes

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
the wicking has a great deal to do with it aswell, with hotter builds you need to feed more juice to keep everything in balance, i wick similar to how the guy in the following vid does and it works great, even on a closed(touching wraps), 20g, 3 wrap, 9/64 id at 0.15 on a dual parallel mod, dont attempt to go so low on ohms if your using a single battery mod.
Vid>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1hqRp9TDDE

Das Auto

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Pacific NW, USA
I don't know about Kanthal vs Nichrome. But my question is - I built a quad coil, for the First time, on my Mutation X V3, that previously had a Dual coil build. Both builds were at 0.2 ohms. I stuffed under the coils with cotton then wrapped the legs through the Id of the coil itself. All four coils fired Great. Heated up in unison, no cold spots. Seemed great for my first attempt. Primed my wicks with my Fav juice and 5 min later started Vaping. I almost PUKED!! It was disgusting!! It tasted almost like Wet Socks!! Why? I had it at 75 W (don't remember the volts) but that is higher than I have my Dual coil 0.2 Ohm builds (usually I have those at <65W.

Any body else experience this or know why? Vapor production was still Great. But the Taste was horrible!! And it was the Same juice I was vaping on the Dual Coil build, so I know its not the juice. Just to make sure, I re-wicked it and used a Different juice - same thing!! One was a Melon blend knows as Unicorn Vomit the other was Peachy Creams. Yet they both tasted Like WET SOCKS!!

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I don't know about Kanthal vs Nichrome. But my question is - I built a quad coil, for the First time, on my Mutation X V3, that previously had a Dual coil build. Both builds were at 0.2 ohms. I stuffed under the coils with cotton then wrapped the legs through the Id of the coil itself. All four coils fired Great. Heated up in unison, no cold spots. Seemed great for my first attempt. Primed my wicks with my Fav juice and 5 min later started Vaping. I almost PUKED!! It was disgusting!! It tasted almost like Wet Socks!! Why? I had it at 75 W (don't remember the volts) but that is higher than I have my Dual coil 0.2 Ohm builds (usually I have those at <65W.

Any body else experience this or know why? Vapor production was still Great. But the Taste was horrible!! And it was the Same juice I was vaping on the Dual Coil build, so I know its not the juice. Just to make sure, I re-wicked it and used a Different juice - same thing!! One was a Melon blend knows as Unicorn Vomit the other was Peachy Creams. Yet they both tasted Like WET SOCKS!!

Not to sure why you have that problem but the following vid may help you in your quest>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1hqRp9TDDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread