Status
Not open for further replies.

mixxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Oregon
Leaving in a few hours to fly to California to visit my daughter & grandkiddies for a week! I've always loved flying... but I am NOT looking forward to going through the security stuff.. and trying to take my e-cig(s) liquid etc. I have NO problem with not being able to vape on the plane etc. I just want to be able to take them with me to use when I get there. Have all my 'stuff' packed in with camera chargers & batteries in my carry-on luggage... and e-liquid mixed in with my tiny shampoo etc. so HOPE all will breeze right through! Will post how it went when I get back next week... just in case my e-cigs get taken away... I'm also packing a analog cig lighter... but will be SO mad if I have to end up going that way! :(

Phalse

ECF Veteran
Hi, you can pretty much take small amountsof anything by putting it in your luggage.
(1 liquor bottle or 1 carton of smokes out of PDX) Portland is like awesome, they wont even blink if its in your luggage, even if some of the packs have been previously opened....if you know what I mean.....ok you dont.

Just don't put it in your carry on.

latte hiatus

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
SF Bay Area
Best of luck! Let us know how it went.

I've never had issues going through security with carry-on PVs and liquids (liquids are bagged according to the TSA 3-1-1 nonsense) - in fact, I avoid checking bags whenever possible. I fly about once to twice a month for business, and in my last trip to Las Vegas the X-ray inspector was taking her time scrutinizing every bag, but didn't find anything unusual about the PVs or liquids.

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
on an aside - if you are taking carry on and want to avoid situation of not being able to find place to stow it and them wanting to put it below with checked bags, there's an easy way to pretty much ensure your bag stays in the passenger area.

There's a rule about matches not being able to be in checked bags, they're only allowed in carryon bags. So, if you have some in carry-on, they cant put your bag with the checked bags and will have to find room for it or wait for you to unpack it so that you can remove the matches.

It's not 100%, because they might elect to wait for you to unpack your carryon in order to remove the matches, but...

Only reason I know is because last time I flew to Vegas, I read up on rules and put matches in my carry on. Then, there wasnt room for my bag and they wanted to stow it below. I said "Okay, but since the regulations say that matches arent allowed in checked baggage, do I need to unpack it first and remove the books of matches I have in it? Theyre in the bottom but I can dig them out if I need to." They found a place for my bag pretty quickly in the passenger cabin :)

Duckies

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Philly
Not sure if you mean you're hand carrying the lighter but you are definitely not allowed lighters as carry-on in the USA. I don't know about matches.

They changed that a while back. You are allowed to carry lighters on planes now.

I am guessing that they realized the ability to buy them in the airport and/or airport employees being able to carry them in kinda defeated their purpose.

Catanonia

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
UK
extraview.dnsalias.com
LOL not in UK.

You can now take lighters on board.

But when it was at its height, they used to take lighters off you into a large bin at passport control.

Then, when you got in you could buy lighters.......

Sure some kinda scam going on there.

I travel a lot throughout europe, so expecting some fun with me ecig and liquid. Might just hide it all in my main baggage. But want to see if I can get an ecig battery and at least 2 carts through security.. for personal use in the airport.

Worth I spose a atty and battery to find out.

Could always charge back to the company as electrical items...

BARENETTED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
NEW JERSEY, USA
My local airports will throw away any matches and lighters you have on your person or carry'on bags. I would put everything in your checked luggage to be safe, if your bringing liquid, bring a bottle that hasn't been opened yet, they might not give that a look.
I dont know where you fly out of, but I fly out of Newark. After 9-11, they were pretty strict. They have relaxed now. Last time I flew, I had 4 books of matches and 2 lighters on me. Next time I will not have any!!! Good 4 me!:p

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
I just got back from a trip to Las Vegas and I had no problems & that was with a screwdriver which to me looks like a detonator. I just placed it in the small tray for your change and wallet and ran it under the x-ray conveyor. No one ever asked me about anything. No "what is this", No "excuse me sir you need to step aside" No nothing. I even took some discreet hits on the plane. It was a piece of cake.

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
They changed that a while back. You are allowed to carry lighters on planes now.

I am guessing that they realized the ability to buy them in the airport and/or airport employees being able to carry them in kinda defeated their purpose.

Ah okay, I didn't know it had changed.

I was going to say "that's useful to know" but then I realised that I don't use a lighter any more!

shakey ceasefire

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
San Francisco
Just flew multiple times last week.

-liquids in with your toothpaste, toiletries etc. you know, in the little ziplock bag they make you use.

-batteries, atomizers, carts in with your pens and stuff

-charger in with your cell charger, other chargers

This is all carry on stuff. Once through security, assemble and vape. I vaped in the airport bathroom, then right out in the open. If it was busy I just exhaled through my nose, or into my shirt.

I also vaped on the plane, til someone gave me a dirty look, at which point I vaped in the airplane bathroom. No alarm, no problems.

mixxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Oregon
Just wanted to update on my trip (airport/airplane experience -AND - family vaping reaction! :)

I didn't want to check my luggage at the airport (since daughter w/2 small children would have to wait for me to pick up) so I packed everything in carry-on luggage. I had one penstyle e-cig (assembled) inside my wallet (inside my purse) where a pen would normally go. I had a cosmetic bag with my Sony Walkman radio w/earphones, and in the bottom I had a plastic bag w/radio batteries/assorted chargers (radio, ecigs, cell phone) all mixed together. In the bottom of my camera case I had a "bubble wrap" bag with all of my extra atomizers & batteries, and then put my camera in the case on top of the 'parts' bag. E-cig liquids went into the plastic bag with all my other 3 oz. (or under) liquids. Everything went through security with no problems! :D

I didn't have the nerve to 'vape' on the plane going... but I did go into the restrooms (I didn't have direct flights) between planes for a few puffs. Flying home I had a lot more confidence... (plus a new method)... that made it much easier to do it without as much worry. I have a leather cell phone case that has elastic sides, and figured out that my penstyle e-cig would fit into the case next to my cell phone, just sticking out a bit at the top of the case. Going home I just kept my cell phone case out of my purse, and having window seats both times, I just 'looked' out the window holding my cell phone case near my shoulder, and was able to 'vape' easily without anyone ever noticing as I looked out the window. :) When we ordered drinks, I ordered coffee, because this made it even easier to vape (since I could vape and exhale while holding up the coffee cup) and any exhale looked like 'coffee steam' and wasn't noticed at all. The flights going home were not full, so I had an empty seat between me & another person.. so this made it all easier too... since each time they were busy reading or sleeping. :) I could have done just fine (short flights) without vaping on the airplane... but just had to 'try' it out!

The best thing of my trip wasn't getting through the airport security... or finding a way to vape on the plane. My daughter as always HATED my smoking. I can't say that I blame her one bit... and I spent many years while she was growing up smoking under the kitchen vent fan (and I know I even should have even taken it outside if I couldn't quit :(.) I can't tell you how many fights we've had over the years about my smoking. After she got married and had her own children, she refused to even stay at my house when she visited, even though I STILL only smoked under the kitchen fan! :( I told my daughter that I'd quit smoking (using e-cigs instead) in January.. and she was SOOOOO happy to hear the news! Even though she was happy... I still worried that when I went to visit she would not be able to accept my 'vaping' as a replacement... but was THRILLED to find out that she was totally OKAY with the e-cigs! :D

I vaped in her house.. in her car... and my grandkids (6 & 3) never once asked me anything about it (of course I was doing my best to 'vape' when they were not looking!) so this trip was the BEST all around... no fighting with my daughter about when I was going to 'quit smoking' and having her blessing to vape as a 'substitute' to smoking analogs... never thought this would happen!! :shock:

I'm one very HAPPY vapor... and a VERY happy Mom & Grandma... all thanks to these e-cigs!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread