The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Wish me luck.. Cleaning 3 atomizers for 1st time

Discussion in 'Experiments With Equipment' started by Catanonia, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Catanonia

Catanonia Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 3, 2009
    UK
    Using the boiling water method and cooker to dry them.

They are currently in the oven getting dry right now..

Fingers crossed it works, should have seen the rubbish that came out of them..

So wish me luck I have 3 working ones and not dead ones...

2. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    Catanonia--we do wish you luck and be sure to re-prime and let the e-liquid soak back into the mess before firing them back up. Many do not and think that the atomizer died after boiling it when in fact they just did not reprime it enough for it to fire up and vape. So boiling, while it may not help sometimes----it surely does not kill an atomizer IMO---Sun

3. chuck7403

chuck7403 Full Member ECF Veteran

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Much luck to you...you should be good to go...please let us know how it went!

4. The Wiz

The Wiz ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2009
    Whiskeyville USA
    Good Luck my friend.....Please post your results here for all to see:)The Wiz!

5. Catanonia

Apr 3, 2009
    UK
    DON'T DO IT

Well not with 901 atomizers.

All 3 are goosed.

The boiling for about 3 mins somehow has caused an air flow blockage in the atomizer. When you suck in, very limited air gets through.

They vapped a bit, but restricted airflow, pretty bad, oh and completely ruined the outer paint work (white).

I can only guess the heat has melted something in the atomizer and restricted the air flow.

6. kinabaloo

kinabaloo Vaping Master ECF Veteran

There is a small plastic part inside which could feasibly melt if the atomizer was in contact with the bottom of a saucepan. Also possible is that the jostling of the atty or by the bubbles could move the mesh parts out of line.

I have never recommended boiling for these very reasons. Instead, heat the cleaning solution on a coffee-maker keep warm plate. Also, always try one first.

With luck though, maybe you simply have water stuck inside somewhere; perhaps they will get better ...

7. Catanonia

Apr 3, 2009
    UK
    here is hoping..

8. Sun Vaporer

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    Catanonia--you may very well have backsided flooding where the water is inbetween the back of the ceramic holder and the battery threading. It will dry out --give it some time and then reprime. I have lost many an atomizer, but never one to boiling. The water is not hot enough to do anything to the contacts, mesh, or wires. I have witnessed far to many opened to see that there is no issues with this--so give it some time and also try baking them in the oven at 150 degrees for about 15 minutes----Sun

9. Idahojo

Idahojo Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2009
    Bonners Ferry, ID
    What kind of atomizers are you boiling? Does this work on 801's? I wouldn't think it would because of the small plastic orings on the backside of the nipple on the 801.

10. Sun Vaporer

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    Idaho--all I use for the most part is the 801's and do not worry about the plastic ring as the water is no where near hot enough to melt plastic-----Sun

11. kinabaloo

I wouldn't recommend baking either. It would be possible for the the metal parts to get too hot. A short time with a hair-dryer would be better IMO.

Sun - the water might not be but the bottom of the pan might be. Paople might not keep the atty off the bottom and sides.

12. Sun Vaporer

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    Kinablaloo--no issues at 150 degrees --as a matter of fact it would get hotter sitting on a coffee decanter warmer. In the stove only the convection heat is getting to it--for petes sake it was almost 100 degress here today!!!!!!!!!--Sun

13. kinabaloo

You're talking old money? Not centigrade?

The atomizer goes in the glass pot with the solution then on the coffee warmer.

Metal parts in a saucepan or oven can get hotter than the air or water.

14. Sun Vaporer

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    At 150 degrees Fahrenheit, I can take it out with my bare hand so I doubt you can hurt it --as a matter of fact, after boiling over 100 of these over the last 6 months and heating them in the oven I will state for the record that it is totally benign and can not hurt an atomizer--not that it will necessary help either----Sun

15. kinabaloo

Sun - didn't know anyone still uses Faranheit ;)

How's the plain VG / water going? Converted to the ascetic life yet ?

Any sign of any deposit ??

16. Sun Vaporer

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    Kinabaloo--I have been vaping VG and water straight on and off now for 2 days (nasty) and the PG straight atomizer is ready to go---so testing will begin tomorrow---we should see whether in fact VG or PG clean easier if their is any difference at all--All tests will show before and after pictures--I suspect there will be a difference, but the test will confirm or deny this hopefully---posted results and pictures to come in a few days---Sun

17. kinabaloo

Can you see if there's any sign of a deposit formed in plain VG+water? Or can't see in there till take apart ? So curious!

18. Sun Vaporer

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    Kinabaloo--You can not see in the atomizer really at all until I take them apart. So we will see shortly here and I will post pictures as well as impressions---Sun

19. kinabaloo

Sun - ok, I'll check back later.

This might have implications for juice composition and health concerns, as well as atomiser life/cleaning. Hence my avid interest.

20. Catanonia

Apr 3, 2009
    UK
    Ok guys, just got my juice from wicked. Dipped and soaked them to prime them.

They still work, but there is some restriction in them to stop clean vapping. Ie restricted air flow.

The air hole is clear, but I have noticed that the inner core of the atomizer is now loose in both units and it was not before boiling.

It seems boiling has loosened the internals of the atomizers from the outer casing.

Not sure what is causing the restriction in airflow. I suspect the rubber valve at the battery connection end.

So in summary, they do work, but no where as effecient due to air restrictions and they are completely discolour.

Will keep them as emergencies as can just about vap on them, or could direct drip if I am caught completely short.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.