ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I've never read anywhere that the patch, gum, and Chantix will guarantee anyone they'll stop smoking either. As a matter of fact, the FDA amended their regulation on patches, gums, etc., for indefinite use instead of the three months.

Is this person trying to convince you that you might as well give up trying to quit smoking altogether? You're doomed to the "smokers" fate?

I smoked for more than 40 years a pack and a half a day of cigarettes. I quit smoking a week and a half after I started vaping a year and a half ago. No withdrawal symptoms, easiest method I had ever used before, and I used all of them except Chantix. I promised myself never to touch that stuff.

Frankenmizer

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Dimension V
Cheap-Shot-Featured-Image.jpg

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
This article is not telling you e-cigarettes don't work. The author is making the point:

"In this way, e-cigarettes are simply a cigarette alternative, and not a therapy to help you quit."

The FDA prohibits product manufacturers / merchants from making health claims, and they consider "help you to quit" a health claim.

The FDA warned General Mills to stop making health claims when it put a message on Cheerios stating that the product could help prevent heart disease. Makes no difference if the statement is true. The FDA holds the position that to make a health claim, the product must have gone through the entire New Drug Approval process.

I don't see anything at all wrong with the article.

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
The statement "These companies don’t want you to quit smoking entirely; they simply want you to switch from smoking to vaping. In fact, the business model is built around your return." is misleading. E cig industry cannot make any one do anything. It is a personal choice Also - even if it is true - "don't want you to quit SMOKING entirely - maybe the correct words would be to quit nicotine addiction.
Also - To be clear, any product that delivers nicotine into the human body is automatically considered “unsafe.” That’s the nature of nicotine itself. It’s not meant to be in our bodies. What? Don't we eat vegetables that contain nicotine?
Just my opinion that this article like so many before it is not the half truths I personally like to read.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
I've been smoking a pack a day for 20 yrs. All other alternatives did not work for me. Even though I was willing to try, the desire to smoke was still stronger than the desire to quit.

I've been vaping almost 2 weeks. I've smoked 3 cigarettes in those 2 weeks. That's a HUGE drop from the amount I was smoking before.

Anything that succeeds in "helping" someone quit smoking should be applauded instead of banned.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Also - To be clear, any product that delivers nicotine into the human body is automatically considered “unsafe.” That’s the nature of nicotine itself. It’s not meant to be in our bodies. What? Don't we eat vegetables that contain nicotine?
This might interest you...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/275641-nicotine-research.html

Nicotine is the most natural of all consumer stimulants and stress relievers as it is part of the diet and everyone tests positive for it. If you take 800 people and test them, they all test positive for nicotine [2]. It is present in many vegetables and is co-located with the vitamin nicotinic acid (niacin or vitamin B3), which is also a metabolyte of nicotine in some circumstances (the literature is extremely sparse here). This means that trying to remove nicotine from the diet would likely also remove vitamin B3 and lead to sickness. Nicotine is a natural part of the diet and it is unhealthy to avoid it. On the other hand, nobody tests positive for coffee, alcohol or chocolate (unless they have consumed it very recently). Nicotine is the most natural and normal of all the consumer products in this class - everybody has some, it is healthy to consume it, and unhealthy to avoid it. Like all such materials, the dose makes the poison (the only difference between a nutrient or medicine and a poison is the dose).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread