withdrawal symptoms after switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_Struct

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Lufkin, TX
Some people start to cough a lot when they switch to vaping. Very often this is simply clearing the accumulated crud that tobacco has left them with...

I can attest to this.

The first week or so, I was coughing my head off.

The harshness and drying effect of the vapor takes a bit to get used to, as well.

Last edited:

CrystalLakeDave

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Carbondale PA
What particular "withdrawal symptoms" are you having?

It's quite possible you're experiencing more psychological symptoms that are manifesting themselves psychosomatically. It happens to people all the time.

I physically feel like I haven't had a cig all day. That tingly lung-y, "Man I need a cig " feeling. Cravings real bad, but if I start to smoke one, I feel like I am getting too much nicotien.

D_Struct

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Lufkin, TX
I physically feel like I haven't had a cig all day. That tingly lung-y, "Man I need a cig " feeling. Cravings real bad, but if I start to smoke one, I feel like I am getting too much nicotien.

I think the majority of what you're experiencing is the process of psychologically breaking the habit.

Your brain is telling you that you're supposed to be smoking, regardless of how much nicotine you've had. It will go away with time.

If you were saying that you were not sleeping well, were having sweats, cramps, etc. Then I'd say you were having withdrawal symptoms of the physical nature.

All of that will pass, though. You've just got to soldier through.

Not everyone goes through what you're going through.

To be honest, when you really REALLY want a cigarette, smoke one. Sometimes, that's what makes people realize they don't want to burn analogs anymore. They start to taste awful over time, and you begin to wonder why you liked them in the first place.

Just don't buy any more packs. Continue to smoke the ones you have on those occasions where you really can't stand it. When those run out, you'll probably already be in a position to make the full-on switch to e-cigs.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
What seems to cure me from having any withdrawal symptoms ..is the size of the vapour 'puffs'.... I am completely happy by having just a 5 min vape every hour or so... when everything is working fine...but as soon as the vapour clouds start to dwindle because the atomizer is no longer working as efficiently, I could keep on vaping 36 mg non stop and never quite feel satisfied with it. To me it doesn't seem to be the 'amount' of nicotine in my body that matters .....it's the hit of nicotine from each individual Puff that seems to make all the difference

CrystalLakeDave

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Carbondale PA
I think the majority of what you're experiencing is the process of psychologically breaking the habit.

Your brain is telling you that you're supposed to be smoking, regardless of how much nicotine you've had. It will go away with time.

If you were saying that you were not sleeping well, were having sweats, cramps, etc. Then I'd say you were having withdrawal symptoms of the physical nature.

All of that will pass, though. You've just got to soldier through.

Not everyone goes through what you're going through.

To be honest, when you really REALLY want a cigarette, smoke one. Sometimes, that's what makes people realize they don't want to burn analogs anymore. They start to taste awful over time, and you begin to wonder why you liked them in the first place.

Just don't buy any more packs. Continue to smoke the ones you have on those occasions where you really can't stand it. When those run out, you'll probably already be in a position to make the full-on switch to e-cigs.

Thanks. I smoked half of what I normally would yesterday and I just smoked a regular smoke, feel better. I guess it just takes getting used to it.

CrystalLakeDave

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Carbondale PA

Awesome. Thanks Kate. I found this section to be similar to some of the feelings I am getting:

Deeper, Clear Breathing - as your body clears all the toxins away, you start breathing deeper. Some folks actually find they get dizzy initially, as they are taking in more oxygen. Many smokers actually breathe really shallow, especially if they've been smoking for a long while - so the change can be quite dramatic.

CrystalLakeDave

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Carbondale PA
you kno sometimes I do have an urge to smoke an analog, especially in public around other smokers.....but at home by myself, I am analog free :) and make sure you dont buy packs of analogs either, that will really temp you!

True. We didn't think we were gonna get our order for another few days, so we bought a couple packs. Maybe I'll let myself run out. :)

D_Struct

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Lufkin, TX
True. We didn't think we were gonna get our order for another few days, so we bought a couple packs. Maybe I'll let myself run out. :)

I think that might be a good move. Having them around might be soothing for some people, but I always viewed them as a temptation.

While you've still got some, just smoke an analog when you are REALLY craving one, and vape the rest of the time.

Over time, you'll go through the pack and they'll no longer be a temptation, and you'll be used to using your ecigarette (and hopefully enjoying it).

Zebra

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
USA
I've been on an e-cig for 5 days.....after smoking for 40 years. I was in panic mode again, just thinking about trying to quit. My first e-cig came last Friday. I read everything I could on this forum for a couple of weeks before I ordered. That REALLY helped. Watched a lot of videos also.

Last Friday, my ecig arrived. I must admit that I had it in my mouth almost constantly the first two days. But I had NO cravings. I was stunned and ELATED!!!!!!!! I still have it in my mouth a lot, but am trying to make a effort to put it down more. When I feel the urge, I take several drags. I also find I am topping off the cars constantly. I figure I will go through a bottle of juice a week......so I expect to spend $30-40 a month on juice for the foreseeable future. I can live with that as long as it keeps me off analogs.

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Thanks! I look forward to not coughing and hacking for 20 minutes every morning.

Well, I seem to fall into the one in six catagory when it comes to symptoms. Here is another thread you might want to check out. I've got physical symptoms and they really are quite astonishing to me. Thankfully, I am able to keep the worst of it to myself :D

Don't worry. You do get better. I feel much better today. Oh, but two days ago I could have powered the space shuttle.

What seems to cure me from having any withdrawal symptoms ..is the size of the vapour 'puffs'.... I am completely happy by having just a 5 min vape every hour or so... when everything is working fine...but as soon as the vapour clouds start to dwindle because the atomizer is no longer working as efficiently, I could keep on vaping 36 mg non stop and never quite feel satisfied with it. To me it doesn't seem to be the 'amount' of nicotine in my body that matters .....it's the hit of nicotine from each individual Puff that seems to make all the difference

I find exactly this also, when using a fresh cartridge and freshly charged battery, the e-cig is perfect, way better than normal cigs, it's the clouds of vapour that really make it. No analogues for the last 3 weeks now, which is a real acheivement for me. :)

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I find exactly this also, when using a fresh cartridge and freshly charged battery, the e-cig is perfect, way better than normal cigs, it's the clouds of vapour that really make it. No analogues for the last 3 weeks now, which is a real acheivement for me. :)

The really frustrating part is trying to keep up with everything that goes wrong and spoils the vape. I tend to think things like atomizers should cost hardly anything and come in packs of 20 or even a 100, so you don't think anything of throwing them away and using a new one......... Unfortunately they aren't cheap and I tend to keep 'trying' to make them work for much too long after they have stopped working efficiently.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

Pete, I agree with you 100% about the vapor and when everything is working fine. That's probably one of the bigger problems with vaping is the inconsistency of the product. I'm a very big fan of vaping but you do have to be patient with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread