Woman severely burned in e-cigarette explosion (it was a mech mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Woman severely burned in e-cigarette explosion | WINK NEWS

“I grabbed up my vape and as soon as I pressed the button, it exploded in my face,” Koziol said.

According to an incident report, Koziol ran from her car and went inside her friend’s house to tell them what happened and when she returned, she realized her vehicle was up in flames.

Koziol was transported to NCH Downtown where she was treated and later released.

“My lip is busted. After I left the hospital, I found a big cut underneath my, on the bottom of my lip, on the inside and my teeth on the front, behind they’re messed up. I’m missing some of my teeth,” Koziol said.

The 30-year-old says she’s been vaping for three years and knows how to use the device.

“I know how to build my own coils, I know how to check the ohms, I know what I’m doing. I’ve been doing it for years,” Koziol said.

B

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Where do you see that it was a mech mod? I didn't see any details about device, atomizer, or battery.
To peice it together I had to read half a dozen stories about the same event. On report called it a modified ecigarette, another called it Tugboat brand. It was a mech mod in experienced hands. I wonder what mistake she made. Time to summon the distinguished panel of experts for some long distance ecig forensics.

On ebay and fasttech I see tugboat drippers paired with mech mods. Apparently it blew the moment she pressed the button. Would putting the battery in backwards do that?

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Just guessing... since you said tugboat...

upload_2016-2-27_15-38-16.jpeg

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
To peice it together I had to read half a dozen stories about the same event. On report called it a modified ecigarette, another called it Tugboat brand. It was a mech mod in experienced hands. I wonder what mistake she made. Time to summon the distinguished panel of experts for some long distance ecig forensics.
Impossible to guess without actual details.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Oh, but I disagree! With no facts, it's quite easy to guess!

I'm gonna blame it on the poorly built cloned hybrid mech sporting noname batteries with torn wrappings!

+++edit - either that, or could be the diacetyl exploded.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I've made it part of my hobby to read as much ecig news as I can find anywhere in the world. I've probably seen all the ecig accident stories that google shows me. There are three kinds of events that get reported. Charging accidents, pocket carry accidents, and vaping acccidents. Most but not all the pocket carry stuff is about loose batteries and a few buttion presses on mech mods. As far as I can tell nearly all the reported in-use accidents seem to be with mech mods. This one is unusual because it's a woman AND she's experienced. The reference to a tugboat brand is meaningless because certainly the setup is cloned parts but it still can be considered a home made device that was mishandled. But may be it was a defective battery. That's when the design should provide for venting. I like the magnetic battery doors. No venting limitations there. May be there are a few regulated mods that vented in use but apparently they had adeqate ventilation and didn't do serious harm.

mudmanc4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
In The Plex
kb.lime-it.us
Why is it when something happens such as heck, a weather event, we see, and read what appears to be realistic data. But each one of these stories of and it's always 'exploding ecig' , the text is warped to the point a 5th grader could do better. Satire sites are better.

Reactions: defdock

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Just because she's been vaping for three years doesn't mean she knows what she's doing. She could have just recently gotten into rebuilding after being a tank vaper for 2 1/2 years and may have learned everything she knows about building from a vape shop that doesn't teach building over .5 ohm. And no mention of batteries. There are not enough facts presented. Not nearly enough.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Without reading the story the FACT is her gear SHORTED.

ANY SHORT is user error REGARDLESS of how the SHORT occurred.

ANY QUESTIONS?

(Please like this post if it makes me sound lke an ......[emoji12])

The link posted by Chuck Parsons above is the Florida incident involving Evan spahlinger, a kid....not a woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread