Status
Not open for further replies.

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Round N Round the Mulberry Bush
I just started using a Vivi Nova, just to see how I liked it.
At first I really liked it, but then the burnt taste started (yes I checked my vaping wattage/ohms).
And then I wondered why the wires in the coils were wound over and over the wick like it is..it seems that that configuration would invite burning what with the wick cinched where the coil was wrapped around it.
What it comes down to is I would like to rebuild the wick in my ViVi Nova so there would be more juice on the wick where the coil is.
Instead of wrapping the coil around the wick I thought about weaving it through the wicks.
This would be my first attempt at a rebuild of anything and so I was wondering what you guys thought of it..it is a bit more labor - intensive but hey, it's not like I have anything better to do, lol
I tried to show my idea with MS Paint..unfortunately, I'm not the best artist in the World with Paint (not great with downloading photos either, I hope you all can see what I mean).
BTW don't worry I don't even have the stuff to do this yet :D
Just one of those random thoughts, lol

proto1.jpg proto2.jpg

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Production costs. Please keep us posted as to your experiments!
Yes, the approach above would be a lot more labor intensive....large - scale manufacturers have to be quick about production.
I know zilch about wick and wire..can someone give me a quick suggestion on wick and wire? I am wanting to do a coil that is at about 2.0-2.5 ohms...
I thought that I would use a fine sewing needle to thread the wire through the wick (fig. 2)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Yes, the approach above would be a lot more labor intensive....large - scale manufacturers have to be quick about production.
I know zilch about wick and wire..can someone give me a quick suggestion on wick and wire? I am wanting to do a coil that is at about 2.0-2.5 ohms...
I thought that I would use a fine sewing needle to thread the wire through the wick (fig. 2)

I am also getting into rebuilding the Vivi Nova and here is what I have seen recommended and what I recently purchased.

COIL - Kanthal A1 wire 32 Gauge
Kanthal A1 Wire 32 Gauge 0 25oz Resistance Kanthal 32 AWG A 1 Resistor 100ft | eBay

WICK - 1mm Silica Rope Wick
1mm High Quality Silica Rope Wick Temp Res 1200°C Perfect for Atty'S | eBay

NOTE: For the Vivi Nova you want your total wicking to be about 3mm diameter to fill up the hole and prevent leaking. So using the 1mm wicks above you need 3 which may be difficult to weave the way you want it. So if you only want 2 strands I would suggest 1.5 mm wicking possibly from one of the following sources:

1 5mm High Quality Silica Rope Wick Temp Res 1600°C Perfect for Atty'S | eBay

Silica Wick Rope High Quality Temperature Resistance 1300°C | eBay

EDIT: A note on the coil. That material should produce about a 2.5ohm coil using standard coiling techniques. Think about your coil design. If you think the total length of the wire will be longer or shorter than a standard coil you may need to adjust the gauge accordingly.

Last edited:

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
I think that would be a PITA to try and accomplish but I could see how it might work better if you could achieve that type of coiling. If you try it I would also like to hear the results.
Yes I would def have to break out the magnifying glasses for this one O.O
I watched PBusardos video on rebuilding the ViviNova and I was like hmmmmm...I think I can do that, lol
I am just kinda dissatified with my juice delivery experiences and am trying to think of something That I can do differently to enhance my experience.

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
I love the bottom feed coil, the gurgles and leaks I can figure out how to work with, but why why WHY does the coil gunk up so fast and taste like yuck!!! I have a fondness for dark sweet juices and I am not getting more than 3 or 4 days of good taste out of a head. That's why I'm trying to learn how to rebuild them as opposed to throwing out 2 per week. . .

zyglrox

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Florida
Haha, that's a cool idea. I say wind some lower resistance wire (so you have maybe 4 widely spaced wraps across the space you would normally have 6-7) into a coil without any wicking material and then weave the wicks around the coil using some fine-point tweezers. A sewing needle might be hard to direct.

Last edited:

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
I am also getting into rebuilding the Vivi Nova and here is what I have seen recommended and what I recently purchased.

COIL - Kanthal A1 wire 32 Gauge
Kanthal A1 Wire 32 Gauge 0 25oz Resistance Kanthal 32 AWG A 1 Resistor 100ft | eBay

WICK - 1mm Silica Rope Wick
1mm High Quality Silica Rope Wick Temp Res 1200°C Perfect for Atty'S | eBay

NOTE: For the Vivi Nova you want your total wicking to be about 3mm diameter to fill up the hole and prevent leaking. So using the 1mm wicks above you need 3 which may be difficult to weave the way you want it. So if you only want 2 strands I would suggest 1.5 mm wicking possibly from one of the following sources:

1 5mm High Quality Silica Rope Wick Temp Res 1600°C Perfect for Atty'S | eBay

Silica Wick Rope High Quality Temperature Resistance 1300°C | eBay

EDIT: A note on the coil. That material should produce about a 2.5ohm coil using standard coiling techniques. Think about your coil design. If you think the total length of the wire will be longer or shorter than a standard coil you may need to adjust the gauge accordingly.

Thanks for the links! :thumb: I'll looking to buy in the next couple of weeks.
When this coil in the Vivi I am using goes out i will take it apart and look at the length of the coil (the part used for heating) and compare lengths to my design.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I love the bottom feed coil, the gurgles and leaks I can figure out how to work with, but why why WHY does the coil gunk up so fast and taste like yuck!!! I have a fondness for dark sweet juices and I am not getting more than 3 or 4 days of good taste out of a head. That's why I'm trying to learn how to rebuild them as opposed to throwing out 2 per week. . .
Pardon my ignorance, as I'm not sure what you are using, but is dry-burning not an option?

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
When it's a "factory" head with silica wick dry burning is okay, but not effective. Once you re-wick with cotton, you have to de-wick then dry burn, also not effective. I did go to the liquor store today to ask for the strongest cheap liquor they sold, the guy looked at me like I was crazy! I explained I didn't want to drink it, but use it for a solvent for my ecig. He then sold me some rotgut vodka and asked me if I would be able to quit vaping someday. :blink: Anyway, I'll try to soak them in vodka, scrub with small brush, then dryburn, and hope the gunk goes bye-bye.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread