Status
Not open for further replies.

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Round N Round the Mulberry Bush
I think you are going to lose the point of a "coil". Another reason (besides production costs) is that you need to maintain a coil shape, and I cannot see this happening with the method you described.
Oh, this is not a production situation, lol.
This is just an old broad brainstorming at her crafting table, lol.
Technically it probably would not be considered a coil per se because it would lose the customary coiled shape, but as long as it works, everythings Jake with me :)
I know that the space for a coil in the VN is super small and I would have to do some playing around to see if it is feasible:)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

project_zao

May 21, 2013
Marysville, Wa
"coils" can be many shapes, check youtube for the "starship" coil and Rodin coils people are using in electronic tests. My concern with the wire "weave" is that youd have more tension in the corners and this is where your hot spots would be.

all that being said pop one on a device and see where it gets hot, post some pictures if you can!

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
Just a tip that may help:

I find that any resistance wire that is close to, but not touching the wick, to cause liquid overheating to some extent. Something to watch out for if trying the weaved wick is that the peaks, where the wire doubles back, are also in contact with the wick.

Some people don't seem to be bothered by a bit of overheating, but I can tell every time if I have a loose loop on my more traditional coils.

I've been using a slightly smaller version of BJ43's oval coil, using two sewing needles that are a bit smaller than those toothpicks. They work pretty well.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
OP, my guess is you won't find much difference from the wraps. VN has a very small area for wicks and air flow making it hard to really be creative. But, based on your thinking, you may be a good candidate for RBAs that offer much more flexibility. Just my 2 cents...

Yes, I'm thinking IGO-L...interesting idea tA71ana. I'm going to try this on my next rebuild (unless someone else posts back that it didn't work).

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
Not quite sure if this is quite the OP's vision.....
Infinity coil:
I tried to wrap the wire so that it looped the wick as in the diagram provided by the OP, but flattening the loops out didn't seem to hold the wick properly and it ended up as a sort of mangled pile of wire. The extra lengths of wire between loops also made some pretty nasty hot spots and i got a lot of "hot wire" smell and taste.
I found that by using 2 small screwdrivers, I could loop the wire in more of a tight figure 8, which made the coil more rigid and compact (pics are in a tiny Phoenix RBA) and I still needed to angle it to fit. A build like this in a nova would push me over the limit for sure.
What I found really neat about this coil is that it is essentially "dual coils" without it being 2 separate coils with individual connections.
Meter reads 1ohm on the nose using 28g kanthal.
Hot coil
image.jpg

With cotton wicks
image.jpg

Wicks stuffed
image.jpg

Tried for the big "vapor off the coil" shot but the ceiling fans are on and I'm not even going to try right now.

So I would definitely say that this could be done a bit more in the OP's original vision- maybe using something more oblong to use as a guide for wrapping, but this was a pretty fun little build and I'm thinking it will be my new Phoenix setup for sure!
It would be fun to see what else everybody comes up with!

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
@ minimalsaint

Gotta let us know how that vapes.

I don't see a figure 8 like that working in a nova. Due to the way the wick channel is cut into the head, the figure "8" would have to be vertical. I think this would either make the wicks too tall for the rubber cap and/or leave gaps that would cause leaking.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Infinity coil:
I tried to wrap the wire so that it looped the wick as in the diagram provided by the OP, but flattening the loops out didn't seem to hold the wick properly and it ended up as a sort of mangled pile of wire. The extra lengths of wire between loops also made some pretty nasty hot spots and i got a lot of "hot wire" smell and taste.
I found that by using 2 small screwdrivers, I could loop the wire in more of a tight figure 8, which made the coil more rigid and compact (pics are in a tiny Phoenix RBA) and I still needed to angle it to fit. A build like this in a nova would push me over the limit for sure.
What I found really neat about this coil is that it is essentially "dual coils" without it being 2 separate coils with individual connections.
Hot coil
View attachment 212346

With cotton wicks
View attachment 212349

Wicks stuffed
View attachment 212350

Tried for the big "vapor off the coil" shot but the ceiling fans are on and I'm not even going to try right now.

So I would definitely say that this could be done a bit more in the OP's original vision- maybe using something more oblong to use as a guide for wrapping, but this was a pretty fun little build and I'm thinking it will be my new Phoenix setup for sure!

Brilliant! But how does it vape?

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Infinity coil:
Hot coil
View attachment 212346

With cotton wicks
View attachment 212349

Wicks stuffed
View attachment 212350

Definitely!
OMG, that infinity loop that you have there was what I was thinking about in Figure 1!!!!
What I drew in the pictures was kind of an exploded version of the things that I was thinking about!
To fit something that that in a Vivi might be more than a notion though..maybe I should think about an actual RBA, as was suggested earlier.
Wow! that is awesome!!!
Have you vaped it yet?

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Whoo. Without spitting a bunch of vaping cliches, this thing hits hard.
I can see how a nova would be problematic with this setup.... Maybe it's time for the OP to run free on a RBA! Creativity is a must with these things!
Fantastic! :toast:
We luv da clouds, don't we, lol

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Whoo. Without spitting a bunch of vaping cliches, this thing hits hard.
I can see how a nova would be problematic with this setup.... Maybe it's time for the OP to run free on a RBA! Creativity is a must with these things!

Okay...I am definitely trying this...

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
@ MinimalSaint... I'm interested to see how much mileage you get from that build..please keep us posted :)
I was looking at a drunker tank but I think maybe I ought to try something else first - what I don't know, lol
I will be grazing around Utube to see what RBAs are the easiest to do since i am a total newbie to RBAs

lamarrk

ECF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama (Rocket City), USA
I love the bottom feed coil, the gurgles and leaks I can figure out how to work with, but why why WHY does the coil gunk up so fast and taste like yuck!!! I have a fondness for dark sweet juices and I am not getting more than 3 or 4 days of good taste out of a head. That's why I'm trying to learn how to rebuild them as opposed to throwing out 2 per week. . .

Having you tried dry burning to burn off the gunk? You'd have to remove the "flavor" wicks, but if you rebuild your own and make 'em thick (3mm, maybe 4 mm according to what some others have done) you wouldn't need the flavor wicks.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
Yes, it eliminates the tight spots on the wick and it vapes flawlessly- Even at such a low resistance, which can be tough to achieve. And I am a sucker for the clouds lol!

And yes, YES! Try it! Just remember to keep your wire tight in the figure 8 and it holds up nicely once the wrapping guides are removed. 28g helped because it is heavier, but I can see this working with 32g also if you are more gentle.

All thanks to tA71ana!

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
@ MinimalSaint... I'm interested to see how much mileage you get from that build..please keep us posted :)
I was looking at a drunker tank but I think maybe I ought to try something else first - what I don't know, lol
I will be grazing around Utube to see what RBAs are the easiest to do since i am a total newbie to RBAs

Head over to the RBA forum and do some reading. There are some larger dripping atties that leave a lot of room for playing around with coils. I believe the IGO comes to mind...
I will keep you posted for sure- I think at the very least the wicks will need to be swapped out, but the coil should hold up for awhile!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread