Wondering - FDA Snus Warnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janner

Jun 23, 2011
Western NC
I notice that Camel Snus (US made) carries the warning "This product can cause mouth cancer", whereas the General Snus (Swedish made) only carries the warning "This product can cause gum disease and tooth loss."

So, I'm wondering, does that mean:

(1) That the FDA accepts the research that Swedish snus does NOT cause cancer?

(2), If the FDA does admit that Swedish snus does not not cause cancer, then why aren't they offering free Swedish snus to all smokers to get them to quit, or at least, heavily campaigning the use of Swedish snus to get people off cigarettes, and,

(3) Why don't products like soda and candy also carry the warning "This product can cause gum disease and tooth loss" as well? It is the FOOD and Drug Administration.

Gee, this is making me think our government doesn't have our best interests at heart, after all! :ohmy:

Jan

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
There are actually 4 different warnings on smokeless tobacco. They split them up according to when they are distributed. Every quarter gets a different warning. The products you have where simple distributed in different quarters. The other 2 are

This product is not a safe alternative to smoking

This product is addictive

The only warning that is really true is that smokeless tobacco is addictive. The others have so little truth to them that they are essentially a lie. All smokeless tobacco sold in the US have to have the warnings. That means snus and dissolvables have the same warnings as all the other smokeless products.

The warnings are extremely misleading to say the least. In reality the government along with the public heath thugs (ACS etc) are killing tobacco users with misinformation about the dangers of smokeless tobacco.

Janner

Jun 23, 2011
Western NC
Thanks, Stubby, for the info about the 4 "warnings" - I didn't know that. Here I was thinking our government was left-handedly "admitting" that Swedish snus was safe - what was I smoking? :p

Stosh - but I do trust the government - I trust that they'll screw us every chance they can get!

Rothenbj - Like Deep Throat said, "Follow the money" - it always comes back to that. Of course, they could just tax snus to death (like they are already doing in some States) but then we'd stay alive and healthy and Big Medicine would lose out, so that's not good for their big picture.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I get my snus directly from Sweden and the cans don't have warning labels. You only get the warnings if you buy it in the US.

Soooooo... only the cans of snus with the warnings labels on them will cause cancer. I think I'm good as my snus doesn't have the warnings

Well you must be special or something.:p My cans from snuscentral have the labels too. Are you buying somewhere else?

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    None of mine do from my last order from snuscentral except the General Mint, and that is made for the US market. I don't think they even sell it in Sweden. All of the loose from SM and the Offroad portions have nothing on the label. There was a piece of paper in the order with a warning.

Looks like I got the no cancer, no teeth fall out, non-addictive snus. It may even be a safe alternative to smoking.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread