The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Wood Veneer Rivas :)

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by jambandphan03, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. jambandphan03

jambandphan03 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    OR
    I know there is another thread for the woodchuck, but I wanted to share this in a new thread. I have taken a liking to covering my Riva/egos with wood veneer, and they are looking good! The light colored one is Birch, had trouble with the seam showing on that one for a first try, but after some practice, I think I know how to avoid that next time. The med color is Cherry, and the dark color is Walnut. I still have not made one with the red oak that I have seen other's already using, but after this weekend you can bet I will. I am using Minwax PolyShades Stain and Polyurethan in 1. Pecan color.

See for yourself:

Attached Files:

2. jambandphan03

Jan 26, 2010
    OR
    Here are a couple more pics... you can see the back side in the first pic, nice clean seam...

Attached Files:

3. Automaton

Automaton Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    US
    Wow, those are very nice! Match the golden drip tip perfectly. :)

I'm also surprised how little width they add. It still has a pretty nice line to it.

4. jambandphan03

Jan 26, 2010
    OR
    Me too, and they sand down nicely. I made a few mistakes at first, but the learning curve was small, and I think I could easily pump these out... now that I have the basics figured out. I keep surprising myself each time I take on a new mod and it actually works!

5. tybin

tybin ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 17, 2010
    WA
    wow. that's pretty cool!

6. jambandphan03

Jan 26, 2010
    OR
    Not trying to brag, just want to state that those were made over a 48hour period, waiting for the stain to dry, sanding and restaining took the longest time. I used the top of my wood stove to heat and roll the veneer onto the riva. Just have to watch out for the button, don't want to melt it.

7. wheelofdelight

wheelofdelight Full Member Verified Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Ft Scott, Kansas
    I think what you have done with these is just too awesome! way to go keep it up!

8. akingsley9000

akingsley9000 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2009
  9. riverwinds

riverwinds Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    Florida
    OMG everyone of them are gorgeous! WOOT ! Did I understand you to say you've used self adhesive veneer? How about some more details, if you don't mind. Thanks.

10. jambandphan03

Jan 26, 2010
    OR
  11. riverwinds

riverwinds Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    Florida
    `Wow. Thanks for the link. I'm gonna attempt to make em' as pretty as yours.

12. Seabrook

Seabrook Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 17, 2010
    Oceanside, CA
    Super good job! Thanks for the link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.