Word of warning about box mods in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
While I eagerly anticipate finding and buying the perfect variable voltage juice feeding mod, I feel I should point out one of those "who would have thunk it" aspects of vaping with your box mods in public.

People in my line of work may see you pull out that new box mod you just snatched from the mailman's hands as you left home and think it's anything but a PV!

Ever notice how close a resemblance typical box mods have to homemade detonation devices? Well it was the first thing that came to my mind when I began looking at them.

Cities like NYC, Chgo. (where I live), and DC (where I work) are extremely vigilant to train everyone from the rookie cop to the most experienced federal agent; if you see ANYONE with what you believe to be a detonation device, take them out with a kill shot and check out the device later!

Honestly, the average street cop can't execute the perfect kill shot (that I won't detail here), but even a first day on the street probationary officer (rookie) can pull off a double tap in the chest/torso area.

Yes the cop/agent will have regrets for the rest of their life but... they will be not only decorated, they will be held as an example in academies across the country of how a Law Enforcement Officer should react in such a situation. Remember we're talking milliseconds here and auto pilot response.

No good LEO is going to take the chance of giving you the benefit of the doubt or taking time to inquire 'what's that". And this will be one of those rare cases where the PTB will all stand behind him/her and declare them a hero.

The end result would be not only has an innocent vapor needlessly died, Box Mods and maybe e-cigs in general will be almost immediately banned. If for no other reason, those that do want to blow us the H*ll up will see a new device to add to their arsenal. I'm referring to your typical homegrown wannabe.

I will not be surprised if I get flamed for this post. However just know that I am professionally in a position to state in fact that there have been SEVERAL detonation devices seized else where and HERE that you would swear were box mods if you saw them.

This is just one of those subjects that I have to put this out here because I couldn't live with myself if the worst happened and I never bothered to even post a warning. This is the world we live in today.

To prove my point, I went into a very high level National Security meeting this afternoon and pulled out my Hello 016 battery with a platinum 510 atty and stainless steel coated drip tip and across the room almost simultaneously I was asked was it "deactivated". They all assumed it was a detonation device. And it's just an Ego clone!

That being said, if/when I discover the perfect variable voltage juice feed mod for me, I'm buying it in a heartbeat. I will be extremely cautious how/where I pull it out in public.

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
I've also read posts here about some stealth vaping on planes. Why wouldn't you just go into the restroom to vape?

Your greatest danger isn't being caught by a flight attendant, not even a Federal Air Marshal. Let the person sitting next to you think you're doing something to possibly blow up the plane and see how fast you're "tackled" by all that can get their hands on you.

You'd be lucky if you're only caught by a flight attendant or FAM. In that case you'll ONLY have the FBI waiting to take you off the plane and face federal charges. If the passengers get to you, you may not make it to the hospital, never mind court.

Believe me, I'm by no means conservative, just presenting facts most don't take into consideration. All it takes is one person to screw up and big tobacco and the FDA will have all the ammo they need to ban e-cigs.

the vaporizer

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2010
New York
I hope i get shot!!!! and dont die of course...because that would be a really great lawsuit opportunity...scondly...ive seen many cops (that are friends of my father that i hunt with) that couldnt hit a house if they were standing in front of it....not only that...but there are a lot of other things out there that could look like a detonator and you dont hear of many people getting shot...aka i pods and the like...some lighters...how is an officer supposedto assume it is a normal detonator that will go off when a button is pressed?!?!?! what if it was one that would detonate if the guys finger let go if the trigger?!?!?! then that OFFICER...would have killed a bunch of people!!! Police officedrs are not trained to shoot first and ask questions later...they are trained to assess situations and respond accordingly....if they see some guy smoking a weird looking contraption i would think the first thought would be "hes a crack head" NOT "hes got a bomb! shoot HIM!!!!"....and they would walk up cautiously and ask the person what is going on...they wouldn shoot him first and then check to see what is going on.....

with that said...i still dont think it is a good idea to walk around in public with someof these vaporizers...better to be safe than sorry....especially in somewhere like an airport or high security area....be carefull...but i wouldnt worry about too many people geting shot over a box mod

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
All the more reason that we need national news media running accurate stories on the PV. After all, ,more cell phones have been used as detonator devices than anything else, if you watch TV. OR, maybe that's just TV hype...

No one fears a cell phone. After all, it's used as a remote device and nothing will happen to the person next to it if it is used as such. I can understand an EGO being mistaken for something else. I guess I shouldn't use my Ego in Walmart anymore....

Hendry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Appreciate the info, but...

Cities like NYC, Chgo. (where I live), and DC (where I work) are extremely vigilant to train everyone from the rookie cop to the most experienced federal agent; if you see ANYONE with what you believe to be a detonation device, take them out with a kill shot and check out the device later!

Excuse me, what? What if my ipod looks like a detonation device to a cop, can I expect to be shot? There are mods made from portable battery chargers, I can be shot for carrying a battery charger?

I can understand the need to be vigilant, but to go around shooting people for what you THINK they are carrying?

sheep

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
What about all those IEDs that use cellphones as detonators? Can we expect to be shot for using a cell phone?

I do agree that people should be a little discrete about puffing on strange looking contraptions in public. But any cop who jumps the gun like that and shoots an innocent person will not be treated like a hero by the powers that be. They'll get hung out to dry.

me who

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2009
East Coast, Maryland
To prove my point, I went into a very high level National Security meeting this afternoon and pulled out my Hello 016 battery with a platinum 510 atty and stainless steel coated drip tip and across the room almost simultaneously I was asked was it "deactivated". They all assumed it was a detonation device.

To prove your point, you should have brought in "the detonator" mod and gave then a live fire demonstration. :laugh:

Unprotected CR2 Batteries Blow up the Detonator / Burn Leg - Vapers Forum

Last edited:

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
All the more reason that we need national news media running accurate stories on the PV. After all, ,more cell phones have been used as detonator devices than anything else, if you watch TV. OR, maybe that's just TV hype...

No one fears a cell phone. After all, it's used as a remote device and nothing will happen to the person next to it if it is used as such. I can understand an EGO being mistaken for something else. I guess I shouldn't use my Ego in Walmart anymore....

Do a Google and see how many people have been shot pulling out their cell phone.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Oh man, this is going to be harsh...

But yeah, the first person that gets shot for using a box mod is going to be a patron saint for our movement and our cause. I can't think of anything that will be more effective at getting electronic cigarettes in front of the public eye than something like that.

I just hope it isn't me.
:D

But then, I don't use box mods.
:)

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
I hope i get shot!!!! and dont die of course...because that would be a really great lawsuit opportunity...scondly...ive seen many cops (that are friends of my father that i hunt with) that couldnt hit a house if they were standing in front of it....not only that...but there are a lot of other things out there that could look like a detonator and you dont hear of many people getting shot...aka i pods and the like...some lighters...how is an officer supposedto assume it is a normal detonator that will go off when a button is pressed?!?!?! what if it was one that would detonate if the guys finger let go if the trigger?!?!?! then that OFFICER...would have killed a bunch of people!!! Police officedrs are not trained to shoot first and ask questions later...they are trained to assess situations and respond accordingly....if they see some guy smoking a weird looking contraption i would think the first thought would be "hes a crack head" NOT "hes got a bomb! shoot HIM!!!!"....and they would walk up cautiously and ask the person what is going on...they wouldn shoot him first and then check to see what is going on.....

with that said...i still dont think it is a good idea to walk around in public with someof these vaporizers...better to be safe than sorry....especially in somewhere like an airport or high security area....be carefull...but i wouldnt worry about too many people geting shot over a box mod

If you read my post, you see you wouldn't get a chance to "smoke" on your PV. Pulling it out is the point of danger. As to any lawsuits, if you found a lawyer willing to take the case (assuming he isn't well versed on the Homeland Security Act), your case would instantly go down the drain when the AUSA's come into court with a table of detonation devices seized in the USA that couldn't be distinguished from your mod.

As to the cops you know; even the worst shot can get lucky. He may be aiming for your gutt and hit you right between the eyes. LOL

Not to mention the states where concealed carry permits are allowed and some law abiding citizen thinks you're a terrorist and blows you away.

But to each his own. Like I said, all it takes is one incident to get the ball rolling.

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
Oh man, this is going to be harsh...

But yeah, the first person that gets shot for using a box mod is going to be a patron saint for our movement and our cause. I can't think of anything that will be more effective at getting electronic cigarettes in front of the public eye than something like that.

I just hope it isn't me.
:D

But then, I don't use box mods.
:)

No he will be known as the person that killed the e-cig industry.

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
Appreciate the info, but...

Excuse me, what? What if my ipod looks like a detonation device to a cop, can I expect to be shot? There are mods made from portable battery chargers, I can be shot for carrying a battery charger?

I can understand the need to be vigilant, but to go around shooting people for what you THINK they are carrying?

Simple answer: YES! combined with other factors I won't go into yeah you could be shot in any of the above scenarios you mentioned.

You also have to take into account that less the .5% of the general public has even heard of an e-cig, much less some strange looking box you're standing at the bus stop with that has that button you're about to push.

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
What about all those IEDs that use cellphones as detonators? Can we expect to be shot for using a cell phone?

I do agree that people should be a little discrete about puffing on strange looking contraptions in public. But any cop who jumps the gun like that and shoots an innocent person will not be treated like a hero by the powers that be. They'll get hung out to dry.

Again, it's not puffing on it that is the problem. That'll just potentially get some questions about what you're using. It's the act of pulling it out and attempting to prime it that is where the moment of danger lies.

You can't hang out anyone to dry for following written, approved General Orders.

jfdpl686

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
New York
www.flickr.com
Ab, I see your point and either I am the luckiest person in this world or things are not as bad as you mention; at least in “important” places as Times Square in NYC. I work in the Paramount Building, just in the heart of Times Square and I use my home made boxes, ego, stick and GLV walking from/to the mentioned building and subway station… and trust me, I walk in front of many, many cops.
I’ve been searched at the subway with 3 juice boxes and I only got a puzzled stare and the conventional question “what is it?” after explaining, no problem, just once I was reminded I could not use them in the subway.

Now, one more. I’m sorry but your idea of stealth vaping in the bathroom is… well. Do you know anything about smoke detection? Do you know anything about the latest thermal extra sensitive sensors? Can you differentiate a detector from a sensor? I don’t think so.
With all due respect, please, don’t give ideas like that. Don’t take it wrong, I am not trying to flame you; but there are tons of wrong information around… and yes, I know what I’m talking about, I do that for a living.

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
Ab, I see your point and either I am the luckiest person in this world or things are not as bad as you mention; at least in “important” places as Times Square in NYC. I work in the Paramount Building, just in the heart of Times Square and I use my home made boxes, ego, stick and GLV walking from/to the mentioned building and subway station… and trust me, I walk in front of many, many cops.
I’ve been searched at the subway with 3 juice boxes and I only got a puzzled stare and the conventional question “what is it?” after explaining, no problem, just once I was reminded I could not use them in the subway.

Now, one more. I’m sorry but your idea of stealth vaping in the bathroom is… well. Do you know anything about smoke detection? Do you know anything about the latest thermal extra sensitive sensors? Can you differentiate a detector from a sensor? I don’t think so.
With all due respect, please, don’t give ideas like that. Don’t take it wrong, I am not trying to flame you; but there are tons of wrong information around… and yes, I know what I’m talking about, I do that for a living.

Just remember all it takes is one cop or person with a concealed carry permit to see you pulling one out and think you're a terrorist.

As to stealth smoking on a plane. I fly frequently, sometimes commercial. I have used my Hello in the restroom with no detonation. Also which would you prefer, being busted in the restroom by staff or a plane load of frightened passengers "subduing" you? How much thermal energy is expended vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread