Work in progress: Quick Snus reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordred

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Ok, so I'm horrible when it comes to new things, I have to have them all once I get started. Snus is no different, so I went and ordered one of pretty much every kind of snus out there (ok, not quite) plus a couple more of those I like. I'm in the process of tasting them, so I thought I might as well share (somewhat in the order I tried them).

1) General Original Mini/General White Mini

These were the one's I got started on. I immediately liked the taste, though I found it came on a bit too fast with the originals, less so with the minis. I've kind of changed my mind though, as I now prefer the originals (and have come to kind of dislike white portions). I'll take General as a baseline in taste. Not too salty, good tobacco flavour, some citrus, but not much else. Good. Two cans finished.

2) General Mini Mints

These were the next ones I tried. Originally liked them A LOT, but I'm not so sure now. The good thing about them is that they last forever. On the other hand, the taste is a bit bland, too minty, too sweet. Think sugar-free chewing gum. Don't get me wrong, they're good, but I won't be ordering any more I think.

3) Camel Original/ White

The Camels started off great. A familiar (for a former smoker) tobacco taste, strong bergamot, which I like, a touch of smoke. The downside? The taste doesn't last very long for me and the portions get a touch too salty for my taste with time. Not bad, love the tin, but not going to get any more. White portion a bit dry (well duh, I know, but like really dry).

4) Thunder Blue Extra Strong

Yes, it's Windex. The smell is so clearly Windex, you'd think they used actual Windex. The taste, on the other hand, is quite decent if you like Juniper. Got it as a freebie from Buysnus, probably not going to buy any more. It's a "when you feel like it" snus for me.

5) Tre Ankare White

You know what I said about white portions? Forget it. ;) Seriously though, Tre Ankare is excellent. It's got a moderate salt content, excellent tobacco earthen taste. Go-to snus for me. Def gonna stick with that one.

6) Thunder Frosted Mini

A very pleasant surprise after the Blue. Minis are great for use at work, these have a very nice kick in them and the spearmint taste is there, but not overpowering. Another one I'll be using on a regular basis.

7) Thunder Minis

Same as above sans spearmint taste. Sadly, what's left is a bit bland. It's ok, but I go to those only when I need a mini with a kick and can't stand spearmint at that moment, so not very often. Probably going to keep a can around, but no more.

8) Thunder Wintergreen Extra Strong

And here's the first one to get a real thumbs down. Blue smells like Windex, but tastes ok, this smells like cheap air-freshener and tastes like it too. Couldn't keep a portion in for more than 2 minutes. Yuck.

9) Lucky Strike Original/White

Had my first one a week back after a dinner with red wine and garlic. Couldn't taste anything. Handed the tin to my mom for her to try on her 12-hour flight. Had another one earlier this evening and to be honest, I still can't nail the taste down. Gotta try some more, but it may well be a "neutral" taste, as in unremarkable.

10) Catch Licorice

It tastes of licorice, but only mildly. Ok every now and then.

11) Catch Violet

It tastes of violet... A LOT. Too much actually. Feels like it was dunked in perfume. Definetly not my kind of thing. Joined the Thunder Wintergreen in the yucky category, though if forced to chose, I'd go wit this.

12) Roda Lacket

Initially very fond of it. Fruity but refined taste, reminded my of blueberries for some reason, though that's probably way off. In any case, it's not the "Juicy Fruit" bubblegum fruity. A bit too mild though for my taste. May keep a tin around.

13) Goteborg Rape n°2

Similar to Roda Lacket, but more subtle and more berry-ish. Same thing though, a touch too mild.

Plenty more to come. I think I've got snus to last me for a few months at least.

Mordred

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Ok, so I've had time to sample a few more brands so here goes:

14) Odens Extra Strong portions

I was expecting a lot from this, and I was slightly disappointed. The flavour is ok, a bit smokey, settled with a hint of cinnamon. However, I found that the portions go bitter on me rather quickly. Also, one portion in the tin had a defect, letting the tobacco out. Nicotine was ok though.

15) Odens Extra Strong Kanel

Similar to the previous one, except with a more pronounced cinnamom taste. Not bad, but the same problem of the flavour not lasting very long.

16) Goetlands Julesnus

I wasn't sure what to expect, but they nailed the "christmas" flavour almost perfectly. A very nice blend of cinnamon, mulled wine, some other flavours mixed in. Very nice.

17) Nordströmmen Julesnus

While similar to the Goetlands, the Nordströmmen has a much more pronounced mulled wine flavour. If that's your thing, then you'll like it. I prefer the more subdued taste of the Goetlands.

18) Phantom Classic

Meh. Simply meh. Not horrible, but won't buy again.

19) Phantom Blue

See above.

20) Claq Qui

Knowing how many people really liked this, I had great hopes. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I thought it was fairly average. It feels to me that the nicotine kicks in harder with these than any other snus I used, but I may be wrong. I'll use up the tin no prob, but it's not the "oh my I want some more" kind of thing.

Some more to come, not many though. I think I've kind of settled on 2-3 brands/flavours for now.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Of the snus you've listed Mordred, Claq Qui is the only one I've tried. Simply too high in the nic for me to appreciate the flavor.

I too have pretty much settled into a few go to snuses. I'll try different ones in the future of course, that's what makes the ongoing reviews like this great!

So many to try, such variety!

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Of the snus you've listed Mordred, Claq Qui is the only one I've tried. Simply too high in the nic for me to appreciate the flavor.

I too have pretty much settled into a few go to snuses. I'll try different ones in the future of course, that's what makes the ongoing reviews like this great!

So many to try, such variety!
OTD...You really must try the Thunder Extra Strong Wintergreen....It will knock your socks off!..Use with caution!!:)The Wiz!

Mordred

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
OTD...You really must try the Thunder Extra Strong Wintergreen....It will knock your socks off!..Use with caution!!:)The Wiz!

Don't. Any other Tunder, sure, but the Wintergreen is vile. It's the devil's crap, to quote TSGC.

By the way, the ones I've settled for are Thunder Frosted and General (minis), I alternate between the two through the day. Of the others, Lucky Strike and General Onyx are the ones I use most, Tre Ankare a more distant third. And yes, that despite the fact that I still can't identify what Lucky Strike tastes like. I guess it's like my old cig brand, they also tasted pretty much of nothing, which isn't such a bad thing. ;)

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
I'll second that eloquent opinion of General Wintergreen - my sinuses are still inflamed!

8-o

C.

hehe
The General Wintergreen is one of my daily favorites LOL.

And no Wiz, I'll not be trying any of the Sterks or Ekstra Sterks anytime soon. Already tried a few others and they put me in my place with no mistake about it!

Anything over 11mg portions gives a whole new meaning to the term "spew" for me 8-o

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
hehe
The General Wintergreen is one of my daily favorites LOL.

And no Wiz, I'll not be trying any of the Sterks or Ekstra Sterks anytime soon. Already tried a few others and they put me in my place with no mistake about it!

Anything over 11mg portions gives a whole new meaning to the term "spew" for me 8-o
General Wintergreen is a great late night snus for me. Couldn't do it all day, but then I can't do any of the heavily flavored snuses (snus, snuss', snees) all day.

I can't even do the 11 mg snus. Gives me the hiccups. For the most part I stay with the standard 8 mg portions all day.

Mordred: You've been missing all my go-to snus, Ettan white, Grovsnus white and 01. I've also been getting into the Skruf original white as of late. I was having trouble with the bergamot as I seem to have lost my taste for it. This one is what I was looking for. On the mild side but the flavor last a long time. I normally keep a portion in for about 2 hours so that's important to me. Nice soft portion material.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread