Worried about a battery I purchased

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokey

Aug 17, 2013
United States
A vape store opened a block from my apartment so I went over to check it out (I live in Florida, so NOTHING is in walking distance so I had to go).

I chatted up the proprietor, tried some of the juices he makes in house, but really had nothing to buy. However, I wanted to support him so I asked for an 18650 battery for my Vamo V5 (can never have enough extra batteries).

He said "this is the battery you want" and handed it to me. He was very well versed in everything vaping based on our conversation, so I considered his advice reliable. I asked how much and without even ringing it up, he said "Five bucks." I went ahead and bought it thinking I got a great deal.

Then I remembered something often said on this forum... don't try to save money on batteries, and I just bought an 18650 for $5 from a brick and mortar. It came in no packaging, and I have recently moved to mods so I'm a newb when it comes to batteries. This is what I can tell you about it:

It is orange. It has a logo with a triangle and says MNKE IMR-18650. It also has some strange characters and says MH46698 RoHS.

I don't know what the Mah on this is or if it is even to be trusted. I hope the pros here can give me some advice or even identify it.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It's supposedly a MNKE IMR 1500 mAh, 20A continuous discharge battery. If that is what it really is, it's a great battery for high drain use. Here is a picture of one of mine beside a Sony VCT4:

1tt0f7.jpg

RTD Vapor, a trusted vendor, sells them. As you can see typical prices for these are over $10 each. Check that it looks the same as mine and the one on RTD. There are counterfeits out there and at $5 from a vendor you don't know well, I would worry about that.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If it is a genuine MNKE, it is indeed a good battery. MNKE IMR 18650 - Batteries

It is an IMR (Li-Mn) battery, which means it is a high-drain, safe-chemistry battery. This battery is most often used in mechanical mods using a rebuildable atomizer with sub-ohm builds because it has a high amp rating (20 amps continuous discharge).

It will be safe to use in your Vamo and is the appropriate high drain battery for a regulated PV. However, you don't need all those extra amps in a regulated mod (general purpose high drain batteries have 10 amps), and there are other high drain batteries that have more mAh for more battery time than the MNKE has. The MNKE has 1500 mAh.

Your local vendor likely sold you that battery for cheap because rumors have been circulating that this is a discontinued model.

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

Last edited:

Rokey

Aug 17, 2013
United States
Yep, it is the orange battery in your picture down to the last detail. I trust the vendor... he worked at the first vapor brick and mortar in Orlando before setting up his own place. He definitely knows his stuff. I'm just surprised at the price. Maybe it was a loss leader type deal to get me to come back to his store? Or maybe he is buying counterfeits without realizing it? I would go ask him, but I don't want to insult him by implying he might be selling bad equipment.

Rokey

Aug 17, 2013
United States
However, you don't need all those extra amps in a regulated mod (general purpose high drain batteries have 10 amps), and there are other high drain batteries that have more mAh for more battery time than the MNKE has. The MNKE has 1300 mAh.

How do I determine the amps? My vamo only shows watts and voltage. I understand that a formula derived from volts and ohms will determine watts, but I'm not sure what an amp is. Science was always my worst subject in school (yet I am great at math for some reason).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
How do I determine the amps?
Amp rating is determined and listed by the manufacturer. It is a specification determined by the C rating of the battery and the mAh rating. A large list of IMR and hybrid batteries with their amp ratings is in the first link I provided.

What does a battery's C Rating mean?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread