Worst mod out of 3: Wismec CB80, Joyetech Evic Primo Fit, Eleaf IStick Rim

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
I will be going traveling next month, and I might lose or damage my mod, so I was looking for something that I wasn’t gonna regret losing. I found the 3 mods mentioned in the title at a local shop, each for 10$, and bought them.
I haven’t had time to unbox and test them yet, but which one would you ‘sacrifice’ first? I usually vape with TC enabled.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Good price on all three!

Uh, if you really think it may go missing, I'd just take the one that feels least comfortable in your hand.

I don't have any of those particular models, but do have mods from all three makers. All are pretty solid. Although the CB80 is the only one of them that takes an 18650, so might want to keep that home and take one of the others. Built-in batteries will eventually fail (well, all batteries will, of course!) and then the device is just a paper weight.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I will be going traveling next month, and I might lose or damage my mod, so I was looking for something that I wasn’t gonna regret losing. I found the 3 mods mentioned in the title at a local shop, each for 10$, and bought them.
I haven’t had time to unbox and test them yet, but which one would you ‘sacrifice’ first? I usually vape with TC enabled.
I would put AF on each of them and away we all go.
A back-up for a back-up is a good idea when traveling, Imho. :thumbs:

Safe travels!
Cheers
I

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Thank you,

Well I’m particularly concerned about it getting confiscated at the airport, since I’ll be traveling through a country where vaping is illegal, at least technically (Thailand).
But in the end it’s a simple choice: the Eleaf IStick Rim is the only one that can’t be flashed with Arctic Fox, nor does it have Temperature Control mode on it’s own software, plus it has an integrated battery. It’s not a very good deal (for me) even at 10$, so I wouldn’t mind ‘losing’ it. The other two, especially the Wismec, aren’t bad at all :)

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
It can. It's on the STM Branch NFE Products Manual
It was the only one out of the 3 that NFE tools didn’t recognize, so maybe I need to update. However, it is the USB C version, and I know that some Eleaf devices (like the Pico) became un- updateable when they switched to USB C, so maybe it’s they same for this one?

Reactions: DavidOck

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    It was the only one out of the 3 that NFE tools didn’t recognize, so maybe I need to update. However, it is the USB C version, and I know that some Eleaf devices (like the Pico) became un- updateable when they switched to USB C, so maybe it’s they same for this one?

I don't know anything about the STM Branch so you'll have to do some reading on their forum on how to install it.

However, not all Eleaf/Joyetech/Wismec mods with USB-C are incompatible, just most - especially the newer 2020+ models. But both Rim and Rim C are on the list for STM Branch so it can be flashed with AF which means it's official support without soldering or surgery involved..

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2018
    Switzerland
    I don't know anything about the STM Branch so you'll have to do some reading on their forum on how to install it.

However, not all Eleaf/Joyetech/Wismec mods with USB-C are incompatible, just most - especially the newer 2020+ models. But both Rim and Rim C are on the list for STM Branch so it can be flashed with AF which means it's official support without soldering or surgery involved..

that’s totally new to me, I haven’t heard the term STM branch yet. I’ve googled it, it seems it’s like another version or type (or branch) of NFE tools? Either way I’ll have to do some digging to check if I’m on the latest version.
    What was curious to me, is that the two other devices weren’t on the list of compatible devices (on the NFE tools page), yet I could install Arctic Fox on them without any problems…so I suspect I already have the latest version (STM branch)

Reactions: DavidOck

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2018
    Switzerland

Thanks for that, I had to get the last version of NFE tools (which might be a beta?), and it worked, I know have Arctic Fox, including TC, on the Eleaf IStick Rim :). But it’s still the one I’m going to be taking with me whenever I’m not sure if it’s going to be damaged, it isn’t very good even with AF installed. The chip isn’t as good with TC as the chip in the old Eleaf Pico 75W (it doesn’t seem to be able to keep the temperature close to the set value, so it keeps it way too low, like 30 degrees C too low, after a warm first hit). I’ll probably use it on power mode…

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I had to get the last version of NFE tools (which might be a beta?), and it worked...The chip isn’t as good with TC as the chip in the old Eleaf Pico 75W (it doesn’t seem to be able to keep the temperature close to the set value, so it keeps it way too low, like 30 degrees C too low, after a warm first hit). I’ll probably use it on power mode…

You need AF v211009 and NFE Tools v190718-01.01 linked at the top of this page. Is that what you downloaded for your Rim mod?

What was curious to me, is that the two other devices weren’t on the list of compatible devices (on the NFE tools page), yet I could install Arctic Fox on them without any problems

Actually the CB-80 is on the list. The Primo Fit is not but read om the forum that it does work on the Fit, as you found out. AF/NFE is basically dying and has been since Joytetech/Wismec/Eleaf decided to change things in their hardware. NFE deny they are dying but they rarely participate on the forum and when they do they are very rude and unhelpful. How can you keep a project like this going when there are no devices to work with? I guess they are trying live on a prayer, which is a sign of denial of the reality of a dismal situation.

Make sure you keep copies of the AF/NFE files you need in a few safe places.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2018
    Switzerland
    You need AF v211009 and NFE Tools v190718-01.01 linked at the top of this page. Is that what you downloaded for your Rim mod?

Actually the CB-80 is on the list. The Primo Fit is not but read om the forum that it does work on the Fit, as you found out. AF/NFE is basically dying and has been since Joytetech/Wismec/Eleaf decided to change things in their hardware. NFE deny they are dying but they rarely participate on the forum and when they do they are very rude and unhelpful. How can you keep a project like this going when there are no devices to work with? I guess they are trying live on a prayer, which is a sign of denial of the reality of a dismal situation.

Make sure you keep copies of the AF/NFE files you need in a few safe places.
    Well a project like this needs volunteers who are willing to work during their spare time, so I can’t hold it against them if they are losing their motivation.
    After all I managed to install AF on all of my devices, and that’s really cool: not just because of the features, but also because it’s so much easier if I just have to know how to use AF, instead of several different firmwares…

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread