hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello again everyone. Today I’m here to present my first review for Wotofo. I was sent the Gear V2 rta in order to provide a fair and honest review and that is what I plan to do. Wotofo has made the statement that “the essence of this upgrade starts with the idea of taking its original simplicity to a new level while boosting its performance enormously”. We shall see how it performs. The V2 is a single coil rta with a 3.5ml capacity and is 24mm in diameter. I have to say that I never tried the original Gear rta so can’t really do a fair comparison but will do my best to cover this new version and provide my thoughts on it.

SoP5imI.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1* Wotofo Gear V2 RTA
    2* Framed Staple Clapton Coil 0.33Ω
    2* 3mm Thick Cotton Strip
    1* Screwdriver
    1* Accessory Bag
    1* User Manual

suq77Hs.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:

Diameter: 24mm

Height: 38.5mm (with drip tip and 510 pin)

E-liquid Capacity: 3.5ml

Filling Type: Top filling

Airflow: Fixed side airflow

Thread: 510 thread

Main Material: SS+PCTG

Insulator Material: German PEEK

Coil Type : Single wire coil

Coils Included: Framed staple Clapton

Material: Ni80

Resistance: 0.33Ω

Inner Core: 28G+38Gx9+28G

Outer Wire: 36G

Internal Diameter: 3mm

Power Range: 5-60W

Best At: 40-50W

Color: Black, SS, Gunmetal, Blue, Gold, Rainbow

QIR6YpW.jpg

FEATURES:

1. Single coil RTA, compact and powerful

2. Better connect the drip tip with top cap to shorten the air passage and deliver rapid flavor

3. Compressed chamber to provide massive flavor and extreme vaping experience

4. Original pan deck for fast building

5. 2 little airflow walls on the deck for smooth vaping

6. Fixed airflow RTA with optimal air amount and less e-liquid condensates

zYBuSg0.jpg

lNGDazi.jpg

mOuMxqr.jpg

sSbEFlr.jpg

SER5xoM.jpg

wkLEGVB.jpg

Bwp2kj0.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

Although this is my first review for Wotofo, this isn’t the first time I’ve reviewed a Wotofo product. The packaging of the Gear V2 was all too familiar in green and black with a clear outer cover that slides off. The rta is clearly visible through the top cover but I was a little surprised that it just said Gear and not Gear V2 on the front of the package.

Instead of being on the back like most samples I receive, the contents list is on the side of the box. Besides the rta, included in the package was a user manual, accessory pack, screwdriver, cotton, and two framed staple Clapton coils rated at .33 ohms. I like that everything you need to do a couple builds is included. I’ve reviewed a couple tanks lately that didn’t include coils or cotton.

upload_2022-1-21_19-26-29.png

upload_2022-1-21_19-26-44.png

As I do with all new tanks, I gave the V2 a good cleaning before putting a build in it. The tank breaks down into three pieces. The top cap with molded drip tip, the center tank section, and the base. The tip and top cap are one piece molded plastic as well as the outer part of the tank section with a stainless steel chamber inside the tank section. The base is of course made of stainless steel. The fill ports are plenty big and I had no issues filling the 3.5ml tank with any of the bottles that I currently use.

upload_2022-1-21_19-27-30.png

upload_2022-1-21_19-27-47.png

The base has two flat head screws to hold the coil in place. Beside each screw is a wall that helps to trap the wire under the screw as well as blocking the airflow that comes from underneath the go directly over the coil. Once the coil is trapped then it is very easy to trim the coil legs. This one is super easy to build.

I used one of the included .33 coils and the included cotton. The cotton included is pretty dense so I did a pretty good comb out on it so that I didn’t have to stuff the cotton wells and tried to keep the wick short enough so it went down in the holes without going all the way down to the bottom. I was probably a little high with the first build but it did work pretty well. After that I lowered the coil which did improve the flavor some.

The airflow on the V2 is fixed and not adjustable. That just seems weird to me. I don’t think I’ve tried another rta that didn’t have adjustable airflow. Wotofo says that the rta is designed with the optimal airflow built into the design. The airflow was fairly quiet but I have to say that if the airflow was adjustable then I would have dialed it in a little tighter. I was however running the tank at 37 watts which was a little lower than the recommended range.

upload_2022-1-21_19-28-25.png

upload_2022-1-21_19-28-39.png

upload_2022-1-21_19-28-54.png

FINAL THOUGHTS:

First of all, I really had a hard time mentally getting past the fact that a lot of the tank is made of plastic. It reminded me of a disposable tank that I received in a kit that I bought a long time ago.

I’ll start off with what I did like about the V2. The deck is a nice size and very easy to build on and trim the coil legs. The tank seems small to me and think that the short height was designed to help maximize the flavor production. It seemed to me that the coil seemed slightly cramped between the build deck walls. I felt that the flavor produced was good but not great. I’d probably give it a 7 out of 10. I’ve reviewed a lot of tanks and this one is good but not the best flavor producer that I have tried.

One thing I didn’t care for was how the drip tip and top cap are one molded piece. Also the top cap is very thin and not easy to get a grip on so I ended up using the drip tip to remove and install the top cap. One other reason I don’t like the molded tip is that I found if I filled the tank to the top that I would get some spit back and the hot liquid hit the back of my throat and made me have a sore throat for a day. If I could have removed the tip then I would have installed an anti-spit back tip on the tank.

I understand why the tank was designed small but found running the included coil that I would go through a tank of liquid fairly quick so a larger liquid capacity would have been much appreciated.

Well, in the beginning I said that I would try to give an honest review and hope that I have done that. I’d like to thank Wotofo for sending the Gear V2 RTA for this review and hope that I have given you the faithful readers enough information to decide whether you would like to try the V2 for yourself.

Wotofo Gear V2 RTA - Making Vaping Simpler But Better

upload_2022-1-21_19-29-31.png

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Honest review, hitt :). Tip molded to tank sucks.

Thanks Fran. I really would have liked to be able to change the tip and tighten the airflow a little. Probably better for beginners. It was good though that there wasn’t any leaking as promised.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Good Review hittman.

The Original OFRF GEAR RTA is my Favorite on-the-go RTA. Paired with a Tesla T40W, it has everything I want in a Mobil RTA. Great Flavor, Very Compact Size. And the Style Meter Needle in the Red.

Tesla T40W and GEAR RTA 1-22-22.jpg

This New V2 seems to be 1 Step Forward and 3 Steps Back. And Honestly, I'm really Not Sure what the Step Forward is?

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Good Review hittman.

The Original OFRF GEAR RTA is my Favorite on-the-go RTA. Paired with a Tesla T40W, it has everything I want in a Mobil RTA. Great Flavor, Very Compact Size. And the Style Meter Needle in the Red.

View attachment 968565

This New V2 seems to be 1 Step Forward and 3 Steps Back. And Honestly, I'm really Not Sure what the Step Forward is?

I get what you’re saying. Between the fixed airflow and so much plastic, it’s hard to believe it’s an upgrade but I never tried the one that you like.

• Agree
    Reactions: zoiDman

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    I get what you’re saying. Between the fixed airflow and so much plastic, it’s hard to believe it’s an upgrade but I never tried the one that you like.
    Add in not being able to replace the dt, and you have my list of “not for me”. I really like the og Gear, and usually have at least one in my rotation. I can’t get past the “disposable” vibe of v2 though. I would have bought one if it wasn’t lacking in what I feel are necessary features

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Most people Like/Liked the Flavor and Performance of the Original GEAR. And it has Style Points in Spades. The Knock you would hear on it though was that it was "Juice Hog". So people would say that they have to Refill it a Lot.

But that Isn't surprising given it's Size. Size (to Me) is a Top Priority to a Lot of people when looking for an On-the-Go RTA. I Don't need a 5ml Tank to run errands. I'd rather go Small and Stealthy.

No Adjustable Air Flow?
    Built in Drip Tip?
    Crackable Plastic?

Those Aren't v2.0 Improvements. And are Three Steps Back in my mind. Better if the OEM had just called it something else.

BTW - You really should get your Hands on an Original GEAR. It has a Lot of things going for it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread