Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Tracking shows the two WPU's I have coming are due Monday (Gunmetal and Gold).

My plan is to start off running them on the gunmetal and gold duel series batt Sig 213's...

I haven't decided yet which mesh I will build them with. But it will probably be either the SS316L 200 cut to size or the OFRF nexMesh KA1. Or better yet maybe I'll build one with each to compare them side by side until I can locate some 60 or 80 SS mesh that I have also wanted to try in the mesh gear. I also plan to try out something else totally new in one or both of these that I have wanted to eventually try in my other mesh gear.
keeping-secret.jpg
More info after the test trials.

Attachments

• wpuX2.jpg
    wpuX2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 21
  • SigGun.jpg
    SigGun.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 20
  • SigGold.jpg
    SigGold.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Was surprised when they were delivered this afternoon two days early @Punk In Drublic.
Have more pressing issues to deal with right now though.

(I can't believe I'm messing around with RTA's again.)
View attachment 807861

Can’t complain about early deliveries! :thumb:

Been really enjoying mine. Changed flavours which grated a re-wick, using ¾ of a Muji pad and no leaks, no floods. Also tried the 5ml extension, flavour does drop a bit so one would have to weigh if that is worth the extra capacity.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither

Been really enjoying mine. Changed flavours which grated a re-wick, using ¾ of a Muji pad and no leaks, no floods. Also tried the 5ml extension, flavour does drop a bit so one would have to weigh if that is worth the extra capacity.

Mesh was the lure, RDA's and some specific RDTA's are my thing... RTA's never have been. Some random thoughts as I start to play around with these new mesh RTA additions... YMMV.

I only vape nic free DIY joose, so it's all about flavor rich vapor for my DLH's. The tank capacity is not much of an issue since I do 99% of my vaping at home where refill bottles are at arms length. So I did not plan to use the extension that by design tends to mute the flavor even more in chimney RTA's. Typically fluid dynamics and 'coil' position play an important roll in flavor ability along with other factors. So as expected the 'given' with these RTA's when using mesh instead of coils where you can't reposition the coil(s) is that you are pretty much locked in to what their flavor ability is by design. You can try different mesh types/different build resistances/different wicking characteristics and/or mix your joose specifically for their inherent limitations. But even with all the tweaks they will probably not quite match the flavor you can get from a Profile mesh RDA.

So I did a couple of quick first builds tonight in these to start weeding thru the wicking and flavor issues I expect they will have being chimney RTA's. The first one I short wicked, the other one I half wicked to see if/what the issues might be with either. My first wicks in these are 1/2 of a KGD pad pulled a little and rolled, cut to length and raked. I did not follow the 'wedge' cutting pictured in the manual. Instead I raked them a little to taper and remove the excess cotton. I whetted the wicks thoroughly before positioning them so they wouldn't 'drag' on the inner RTA cap when it was screwed on that can alter their position to the joose wells. The half wicked leaked some, the short wicked didn't. Not sure if it was due to my failure to position both perfectly or the method used until I pull them apart again to see if there was a problem. Either way I'll figure the wicking out eventually. I wanted to move on to the flavor that was my prime objective. I used two different intense DIY's in them that I also use in a couple of my Profile Mesh RDA's on mech squonk mods and get stellar flavor from. These were doable, but as expected in a RTA they are muted enough to notice the difference. But also in part maybe due to the difference in applied power (98W in the mechs w/.18Ω mesh vs 65W regulated with .13Ω mesh). I chose only 65W regulated to more closely match the mouth feel of the mech vapes. To be more valid I probably should have used the same .18Ω mesh in the regulated I guess.

I'll fiddle faddle with them some more in the coming days/weeks to get them as good as they can get. If they settle in good enough I will use them some on the 213's. If not they'll join a box full of all the other RTA's that fell to the wayside long ago.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

That’s odd. I wonder how that could occur.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
That’s odd. I wonder how that could occur.

It’s odd that the flavour drops?

There is no way to objectively measure flavour, but it is logical that the longer vapor has to travel from it’s point of production, the less flavour it will carry. With the Profile RDA, the mesh is 14mm away from the opening of the drip tip, assuming the stock drip tip is being used. The RTA with the 5ml extension, it is 30mm away, and probably about 23 to 25mm with the 3.5ml glass. I currently have the 5ml glass installed so can’t measure the later.

@Spydro – my comparison with the RDA, although not conducted blindly, used the same OFRF mesh at the same power levels and even on the same device (I own 2 Lost Vape Triade’s). The output between devices can have an impact on how we perceive the quality of vape, even if the subjects are outputting at the same power level. A wavy, dirty DC single vs one that is clean and flat as an example. Can’t recall the cotton used in the RDA, most likely a 3/4 Muji pad, but I used Fire Bolt cotton in the RTA

Sampling the same juice, with the RTA using the standard 3.5ml tank, I subjectively felt the vape was warmer and flavour in comparison to the RDA was very close. Not identical – but enough of a difference to be noted. I did not feel it was muted at all but my preference, in terms of flavour, would lean toward the RDA as being the better of the 2.

I have since changed the juice in the RTA to which I have not made a direct comparison using the same flavour with the RDA. But did install the 5ml extension and felt that change was noticeable. The vape is cooler at the same power level and the flavour does drop. Not by significant amounts but noticeable enough to be noted.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
In the wee hours this morning the nuisance of problematic RTA's struck again (they are well remembered from my past dealings with them). I had a hiccup with one on them when I got a 'check atty' error (@55W). I soon found that the mesh strip that was installed perfectly correct was shorted out. After much ado that included taking it all the way apart to the last nut, bolt and screw for inspection and a thorough cleaning, then reinstalling a new strip, rewicking it and it was working again. So was it caused by a faulty mesh strip, foreign matter or slag from MFG (I didn't discover any of either) or by the evil troll that I believe lives in all chimney RTA's? :rolleyes: I think it was the troll ;). (I did flush it out thoroughly before use and have been running these same mesh strips in my 9 Profile Mesh RDA's daily for up to 8+ months with no issues at all with any of them before, including those being fired at 98W on mechs).

Other than that issue they have been performing well enough since to keep playing with them. Since I was up all night anyway I also remixed the two DIY's I was running in them (70VG/30PG) to make them VG Heavy (85-90% VG). That should help take the probable leaking again out of the game, and I bumped up the power a little.

No doubt my attitude that I simply don't like chimney RTA's will make these a hard sale for me. But I'll play along a little longer to see if they settle in (mainly because they use mesh). :)

213WPU2.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Probably an inherent issue with these due to the massive cotton wick will be grooming them so the wick is not re positioned when you screw the deck into the tank. Both of mine are groomed with that in mind and currently are short wicked (so could be easily re positioned accidentally). But along with the heavy joose I can vape them dry and refill them without closing the AFC's with no leaks at all. That in in itself is a rare thing in my experience with chimney RTA's - two of them that do not leak at all (so far - knock on wood). Another plus is running them on dual series mods that I can bump up the power on as much as I want to get acceptable flavor rich vapor and mouth feel. They are still not quite up to the Profile RDA's, but are close enough to keep playing with them for now.

It will be interesting to see if these gain much of a following at all with so many folks that have tried and given up on mesh when they didn't do the homework to figure them out.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Haven’t had any issues leaking since that first time disassembling the RTA to try and find the root of my problem. And only did the one fill with the AFC closed. Lost count on how many times I have refilled.

Just changed juice to another flavour, tried a different wicking method, not that I had problems before, just looking for a simpler way. With scissors pressed up against the wicking guard (if that is what it is called) cut the cotton flat. Fluff it out with a blunt object, not combing or thinning but to get rid of any compression from the cut. Stuff only a small amount into the wick channel. Like a typical RTA, tight enough to create a block, but loose enough to allow flow – wick feeds about half way down. No leaking upon filling and so far no dry hits so will assume it is wicking properly.

I feel the fear of dry hits and the misinformed that this is difficult to wick will push many users away. It also has a few factors against it – tall with a low(ish) juice capacity. I am hoping Inked Atty develops an expansion kit. It will be ugly as hell (IMO) but much appreciated, at least from me!

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
No doubt a full dry hit on any mesh fire breathing dragon would ruin anybodies day, But fear of dry hits on any gear is a mindset of the uninformed IMO. Just like with coil builds there are forewarning signs that if recognized and paid heed to you would not suffer a dry hit on the mesh gear. The closest I ever came to one on the mesh gear was early in my use of them while not paying attention with my mind deep into something else. But I immediately recognized the very start of it and stopped the pull before it got me. If you are still nervous about dry hits a trick that will help with these mesh RTA's that will guard against a dry wick pull is doing a dry pull before doing a power pull. A dry pull will help saturate the wick for the power pull. When the joose is flowing thru the wick the need for a dry pull goes away because the power pulls keep it flowing. IMO thoroughly knowing your gear, it's pros and cons is the key to the vault in vaping.

As I said before the tank capacity is not an issue for how I use these RTA's. For someone who takes theirs out and about all day/night I guess refilling them might be more of an issue to them. But they are so easy to top fill I can do mine on the fly even while walking by just pausing for a few seconds before walking on.

Last edited:

Gallant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Dec 4, 2013
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    My first impression
    Very easy to build & wick 1st attempt wicked with Rayon
    Clamped the mesh & dry burn

Let it cool down, took a full diameter of Rayon & feed it through

Split the Tail in half, bottom half tucked in juice channel, top half trimmed

Build ohms @ 0.12 vaping @ 70W no leaks no dry hits & impressive flavor

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    There doesn't appear to be much interest in these on ECF. But I have used my two WPU's in my rotations more hours since I got them April 6th than I had used any of the dozens of coil RTA's I tried out during some of the TC mod days. That must mean something, right?

Point one would be the lure of being mesh that is why I even have them at all. Point two might be that I have also been enjoying using the Sig 213's I have them on again after them both being in moth balls for 1.5-2 years. In their day I ran GV Avocado 24 RDTA's on them, and they are what pushed every RTA I had into the junk box. Point three probably has to do with living in the dark pretty much day and night. That is just one of the many reasons why I mostly use squonk mods. But the dual series batts in these mods last a long time, these tanks last long enough and are easy to refill even in the dark. I custom mixed my DIY's for them and am getting very acceptable flavor rich vapor from them at what is quite low wattage compared to my normal higher wattage style of vaping.

On the agenda is to try out two new wicking materials/methods in them... when I get round tuit.

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 31, 2012
    New Mexico
    Got mine yesterday. Used the wicking method shown in the manual and a couple of vids I watched. No problem with wicking or any other issues. This sucker packs the flavor and nice dense clouds. One of the smoothest airflows I have used...ever.

I have the Profile RDA/squonk BF version as well. The flavor is pretty much a toss up. Both are excellent.
    Ease of use goes to the RTA version. The RTA has the smoother airflow of the two.

LOVE IT

Reactions: Gallant

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    Keep us updated & post pictures if you can.

I will update on the new wick builds when I get to them. The new to me product has been at my mail place since Saturday. I still haven't picked it up. But I am not doing much with pictures now days due to camera and PSP woes that I have no plans to fix.

.... I have not taken any pictures at all other than vape related pictures for many years. Still do have 5 digital cameras in hand, but the 3 of them that I had used for all of my vape related pictures all have issues that are not worth fixing even if they could be fixed. They were my newest digital cameras (2010) and were all the same 10MP model. I have another one that has not been used since 2001 that might still work, but it is a 2MP zoom that didn't take good close up pictures. That only leaves the SLR 6MP I bought that had not been used since I bought it in 2006 because I didn't like it from day one. I tried a few vape gear pics with it recently, still don't like it and didn't get acceptable pictures from it. It's way too late in my game to buy another camera just so I could post vape pictures on this forum. So unless I decide to fool around with the SLR again my picture taking days for online posting are over.

Reactions: Gallant
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread