Wotofo Recurve RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Really impressed with RDA, came squeaky clean but washed it anyway, stuck in the supplied 3mm quad core Clapton (28*4 + 40 Ni 80) coil (so easy to build!!), wicked it lightly, up and vaping in about 3 minutes. Works great with creams too. Never had any leaking on it, just a BIT from the airflow holes when I was trying to see just how much juice I could get in. Awesome flavour IMO and being single coil doesn't drain the batteries or juice too much. Prefer it over my dual coils (Peerless SE and and the Drop - enjoy the flavour on the drop but I find those dangling wicks are prone to snarling up with sweet / creamy juices).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Really impressed with RDA, came squeaky clean but washed it anyway, stuck in the supplied 3mm quad core Clapton (28*4 + 40 Ni 80) coil (so easy to build!!), wicked it lightly, up and vaping in about 3 minutes. Works great with creams too. Never had any leaking on it, just a BIT from the airflow holes when I was trying to see just how much juice I could get in. Awesome flavour IMO and being single coil doesn't drain the batteries or juice too much. Prefer it over my dual coils (Peerless SE and and the Drop - enjoy the flavour on the drop but I find those dangling wicks are prone to snarling up with sweet / creamy juices).
I agree with about everything you said.....the only thing I wasn't impressed with was the supplied coils. I made some fused Clapton wire and it was much better...2x26 SS with 38 kanthal wrap.

Now I just use 24 ga SS spaced round wire. 3mm 5 wraps and it's great .

Excellent atty for the money.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
I agree with about everything you said.....the only thing I wasn't impressed with was the supplied coils. I made some fused Clapton wire and it was much better...2x26 SS with 38 kanthal wrap.

Yeah, funnily enough I was kinda dreading using the supplied coils. I often find the fancy coils clog and gunk too much with the juices I use but I found these to be superb, so much so I've ordered a load more from Wotofo to use in this and also try in my single coil RTA.

I'm more of a simple micro coil guy myself TBH and was planning to drop in exactly the build you have at some stage, likely do it when the supplied (Clapton I think) fails or needs changing. One thing I've noticed is that having researched forums a lot, some folks have had an issue with single wire builds denting the post hole, opposite side to where the screw enters. Not sure if it is a problem still or whether it was just a problem with an earlier batch / run of them. Something I'll be careful with when tightening down on single coils though.

Really happy I came across the Recurve, following the research on this I've also ordered a Serpent SMM for when I need a tank atty. Dual coil RDA wise, I love the airflow on the Drop but the wicking is really prone to gunking with sweet juice and the Peerless is too damn fiddly to build IMO, plus the AF isn't as good. For a dual coil, ideal for me would be a Drop post system but with Peerless wick height. Since I bought this though I find I don't need my two dual coil attys, which for me is a bonus in itself :)

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles

Ran a couple of different juices through the Recurve with the supplied coils and if anything, the flavour was a bit too intense off it, lot of metal in those coils I guess, though pretty good with creams I find. I stuck the same build you mentioned (SS316 3mm 6 wrap) in and it's toned it down some to the level of intensity I like, might try an 8 wrap SS316 3mm and see how that goes, then maybe a 6 and an 8 wrap 26ga. Might even end up getting a second recurve and rigging one with a supplied clapton and one with micro coil for the different juices. At the moment I've only tried a spaced coil but might give contact coils a go too.

I dug out the Drop just to compare, as I always find with the Drop, first few draws were great then I find the favour mutes a bit, and those dangling wicks annoy the hell out of me. I also tried the Drop in single coil mode with the same juice but I find it's way too big and airy for single coil so I can see the Recurve being the 'go to' for a while.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Final one from me, today I stuck in a simple Clapton 26+30, 6 wrap, 3mm, 0.95Ω. Comes in mid-way (flavour wise) between the supplied (more complex) Clapton that is at times a bit too intense and the 24ga micro that might be just a little understated for me (but I do prefer a really cool vape). Very impressed.

It'll be interesting to see how the Recurve compares to the Nudge 22 which I have on order, one of these two will likely then go onto a Pulse 80 squonk for when I can't be asked to drip. The Nudge from what I can see from the vids etc seems to have slightly larger juice wells vs the Recurve so it might lend itself to dripping a bit better BUT the flavour and airflow would have to be up there with the Recurve, which for me is awesome, otherwise I'll just get another Recurve. Was going to try a Peerless 22 (and still might at some stage) which also looks OK but watching the YouTube videos from 'Vaping with Vic' (whose vids and views I tend to find more credible than the Mike Vapes info-mercials) he was quite positive about the Peerless 22 but a few months later commented that the Nudge "left if for dead" flavour wise.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: TraderX

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
It’s by far the easiest single coil I’ve used to build and wick.

I find the flavour slightly lacking - it’s almost there with my dual coils, but not quite! Quite frustrating!

Currently running an SS staple fused something or other, ohming at 0.30. Tried in wattage at 50-60w and in TC. The coil is just slightly higher than the top of the posts. I guess lowering it slightly so both airflow rows are hitting the coil directly might help.

Where do you guys position the coil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
The tops of the coils I've used have all been exactly level with the top of the 'posts', if I was going to change at all I'd probably try ever so slightly below the post tops, but not much more than 1-2mm and certainly not above. I've yet To try it with 2.5mm ID.

For me it's at least on a par with my duals but I guess some of that might be down to the juices I use, Malaysian, either creamy or fairly heavy on sweetener. With those this tank really brings out and concentrates the flavour, so much so that I had to switch out the Wotofo Clapton and am now using the 26+30 Clapton above.

I'd agree the build is staggeringly easy, I can do a complete build in just a few minutes with this, no drama and "Damn, what have I got wrong THIS time". If the Nudge is as good I'll likely use one of them just for citrus juices, get the flavour of lemon into a coil / wick and it's there forever, unlike creams and non-citrus fruits that I find I can chop and change with ease, with an almost instant flavour pick up from the Recurve. Love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HenTheKing

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
I think maybe what you said about the juice you/I use is the key here. I mainly use fairly cheap one shots from a UK based online shop and they aren’t exactly flavour packed like say, Nasty Juice is. That’s the only (I think) Malay juice I’ve tried. They do the job and have some nice flavours.

Whereas the strong flavours I have mixed (coffee, cherry tunes) are quite well pronounced in the recurve. It is still a single coil I suppose!

I lowered the coil slightly so it’s just a tad underneath the posts. Got it 210°C W/60W available in TC at the mo. It’s ok!
IMG_6084.JPG
IMG_6085.JPG

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Yeah the nice white wicks that you have (as I do after I rewick) don't stay like that long with some of the juice I use such as Cloud Niners Mango, tastes good though. Trouble is, after a relatively short period of time the sweetener starts to cook out in the juice and once that happens it clogs in the wicks and starves the coils, downhill from there. I use the heavily sweetened juice less and less though these days and use more creams which are still heavy, but less so. Double edged sword I guess with the strong / sweet flavours. I've not really found any atty that can cope with those juices for long but the Recurve handles them better than most, less of a fussy wicking system I guess with no dangling wicks for the juice to clog on even more. I find it helps sometimes to use some thinner, less sweet juice as a kind of flushing agent to clear the wicks out, works quite well. Bonus with the Recurve of course is that once clogged, it's so easy and fast to re-wick, even rebuild fully.

It's actually tempted me to try a few different flavours, just need to get my head round which. I've always stayed away from butterscotch / cookie type blends, still quite sweet I guess though so need to be careful I don't add more troublesome juices to my already problematic collection LOL.

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
Oh yeah, I went through a period when I was away from home and couldn’t really take my large DIY glass bottles. So I ended up buying lots of ‘premium’ juice - went through coils and wick like anything.

I had a sour liquid that literally gave me chunks of black crap on the coil literally after 4-5 pulls! No exaggeration there! I was shocked! My cheap one shots are generally very very kind to my builds - maybe a dry burn/rework once a week.

Reactions: Mysteron

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
I've only had this a day or two and put in a couple of builds. My first impressions are mixed feelings.
I am getting good flavor on my current build, and have yet to over squonk and cause leaking, but the screws and included screwdriver suck! Also I don't use/like big ole 810 wide drip tips, but no problem it has a 510 adapter.
WELL I thought I was going to have to hammer it in. I purchased the black one and the 810 included red drip tip fits fine, the additional 810 drip tip not so much and the 510 adapter literally is so tight I didnt think I was going to get it to go in, and it really isnt in all the way. The spare o-ring didnt change things either.
But it is what it is, the flavor is there, and those coils are going to stay there until they disintegrate! :p
:toast:

• Agree
Reactions: Mysteron

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
So, I start vacation this afternoon and wanted to treat myself to something from a local shop (was in a "want-something-now" mood)...

So, picked up a Recurve and a Pulse 80W maybe not the exact things I would have ordered online with many choices, but I'm excited to try them both out. They didn't have any resin pulses, so I just went with the silver looking carbon fibre and a SS recurve.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
Welp, got 'er all set up. So far, pretty impressed with the Recurve. Easy to build and wick and love the airflow...wide open, it's the perfect draw for me. The top cap seems to get pretty hot, though, and I'm only at 45-50 watts. And, the top cap doesn't seem to want to fit flush. But, that's not a huge issue. Flavour seems very, very good to me.

The Pulse seems fine. Not exactly thrilled with the looks, but I bought what was there, not what I would have chosen given more choice. Installing the bottle is a little bit of a pain, but no biggie. I'm new to squonking, so I have a little learning to do. How often I need to squonk and so on...but, so far, pretty enjoyable.

I'll keep playing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread