Wotofo Serpent Alto: Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Bottom Line: A fantastic flavor tank that also puts out an impressive amount of vapor at reasonable power settings. Though some may find the small size restrictive, this is a tank that should satisfy a wide variety of vapers.

Pros: flavor (flavor, flavor!), good build quality, top fill, easy to build, reasonably priced, surprisingly good vapor production, good spare parts (including glass), removable 510 drip tip

Cons
: airflow ring is tight to the point of being problematic and has not loosened with use, glass can crack when removing/reinstalling if not careful

Subjective: 2mL size, single coil only, smaller post holes, metal ledge on the deck prevents >~2.5mm ID

(Seriously, those were the only true cons I could think of for this one, and I haven't broken any glass.)

serpent-alto-s-1_1.jpg

I was lucky enough to score the Wotofo Serpent Alto for $5 during a promotion through VaporDNA. While the full price is certainly reasonable ($30-35), I doubt I would have purchased this if not for the sale. I am not much of a MTL-er and the size is unquestionably small. At $5, though, it was an easy decision. Good thing, too, because it's a pretty phenomenal tank. Now that I've had the opportunity to try it, I would gladly purchase another if I lost mine tomorrow.

There is a lot of good to say about this tank and honestly, very little bad. I truly believe that with a style-appropriate build, this is a tank that will fit the needs of the vast majority of vapers.

serpent-alto-s-2_1.jpg

For flavor chasers and those who prefer mouth-to-lung vaping, this is pretty much a no-brainer, though there's a chance that those who like really, extremely tight airflow won't find it restrictive enough. But even the simplest round wire builds performed beautifully; claptons and the one 28g fused clapton I crammed in there (more on that below) pushed the flavor into overdrive. Every note was present and accounted for, crisp and clean across the board. With each variation in coil and airflow, the Alto exceeded expectations; it has a consistency that many other tanks lack. I could not install a build or set the airflow in a way that didn't work for me. Single-core claptons and twisted builds performed great but did not provide an enormous advantage over simpler builds. While the flavor was undoubtedly more intense with the airflow turned down, it remained excellent wide open.

Which actually brings me to my next point: I don't think cloud chasers should summarily dismiss this tank. No, of course it's not really a cloud chasing tank, and no, I don't think someone who only wants clouds upon clouds should get this as their primary tank or maybe even at all. But I was able to squeeze a 2x28g*34g fused clapton in there, clocking in at .7ohms on the nose, and at 30-35W with the airflow wide open, it is putting out a completely respectable amount of vapor. It's chucking about as much as my TFV8 baby with the .6 coil at the same power.

serpent-alto-s-3_1.jpg

There are definitely some things to note about this tank, but none of them are real cons for me. Obviously, it is a rebuildable, so it does require the ability to make your own coils or at least a willingness to install pre-made coils. It is simply not a tank to be built at .1ohm and vaped at 70W, but as I noted, it frankly compensates for those limits even for those who want clouds. I have been able to take it up to 40W without a single dry hit. While some may find the 2mL size too small, it is not a particular juice-chugger, partially due to these aforementioned limitations. The deck has a little metal "ledge" that I suspect is a chamber reducer; it is clearly visible in the photos. This means no huge coils (at least without modifying the deck). 2.5mm ID may be about the max for single core claptons, and the 2x28g*34g fused clapton was 2mm and a tad cramped. 3mm coils are possible with 24 and 26g wire and proper positioning, credit to @zoiDman

serpent-alto-s-5_1.jpg

Wicking is a breeze. Thread it through the coil, cut-- the tails can and should be cut VERY short, even just inside the diameter of the deck-- and gently press into the wicking channels. Done. I've had good wicking experiences with both cotton and rayon.

serpent-alto-s-4_1.jpg

It doesn't take much for a tank or atomizer to fall out of rotation for me. I am not the sort to have trouble looking for cons. With this tank, I did. It really is that good. Is everyone going to love it? No, of course not, and there are certainly drawbacks that others will find that I have not, or else things I enjoyed that others won't. However, I can very firmly say that this is a really solid tank and if you're looking for a reasonably priced flavor monster that is MTL and DL capable and still able to pump out some clouds, this may very well be it.

Photos are from Wotofo's official site.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you @zoiDman. I am getting back into doing these after a long hiatus so I very much appreciate the input.

This is how reviews Used to be Done back in the day. By users.

And not by YouTube Reviewers who seem to Like just about Everything.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
By the way, would anyone mind telling me if there are any glaring omissions? Anything you would want to know about this tank that I did not include? I feel like I missed something important but that could just be the feeling of editing over and over.
None whatsoever, I think you did a wonderful job of it! :thumbs:

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
By the way, would anyone mind telling me if there are any glaring omissions? Anything you would want to know about this tank that I did not include? I feel like I missed something important but that could just be the feeling of editing over and over.

I Didn't see anything Glaring. It was a Very Good Review.

One thing that did Catch my Eye was about Coil Size...

As I noted in the subjective cons and as can be seen in the photos, the deck has a little metal "ledge" that I suspect is a chamber reducer. This means no huge coils; 2.5mm ID may be about the max, and the 2x28g*34g fused clapton was 2mm and a tad cramped.

I didn't have a problem running 24 or 26ga Single Wire 3mm ID Coils on mine. Although a 3mm Multi-Wire coil would probably Not Work well as you mentioned. Because of the that Ledge.

Which brings up something that People don't do much anymore. And that is to do a "Mod" on a Atomizer.

I found that Mounting a Coil wasn't all that hard. But would be Easier if the Ledge wasn't there. So after a Week or so of trying different Builds/Air Settings/Drip Tips, I got out Mr. Dremel and Removed the Ledge. I Didn't see real drop in Flavor or Vapor.

But it Did make mounting a Coil easier.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
That is good to know, @zoiDman. I will amend that, that 3mm round coils may work okay with proper positioning.

As for modding, I have absolutely no problem doing it myself or even recommending it, but I always want to review products right out of the box.

This is exactly the kind of thing I mentioned, of course, that others will find things they don't love that I barely noticed :) Sometimes I'll build larger ID coils, but I tend to keep it to 2.5mm and below which is why it didn't really register as a problem for me.

Thank you again! You've been very helpful with a lot of things lately :thumbs::toast:

ed: I've edited the review to note that 3mm is possible with 24g and 26g and credited you, I also changed it to say that 2.5mm may be the max for single-core claptons, emphasis on the maybe. Just haven't tried yet, and don't have the tools to get the ledge out right now. Thanks!

and whoops missed your post @Heartsdelight thank you, too!

Last edited:
Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That is good to know, @zoiDman. I will amend that, that 3mm round coils may work okay with proper positioning.

As for modding, I have absolutely no problem doing it myself or even recommending it, but I always want to review products right out of the box.

This is exactly the kind of thing I mentioned, of course, that others will find things they don't love that I barely noticed :) Sometimes I'll build larger ID coils, but I tend to keep it to 2.5mm and below which is why it didn't really register as a problem for me.

Thank you again! You've been very helpful with a lot of things lately :thumbs::toast:

ed: I've edited the review to note that 3mm is possible with 24g and 26g and credited you, I also changed it to say that 2.5mm may be the max for single-core claptons, emphasis on the maybe. Just haven't tried yet, and don't have the tools to get the ledge out right now. Thanks!

and whoops missed your post @Heartsdelight thank you, too!

I just wanted to mention the 3mm ID Single Wire thing because Many single wire coil user use 3mm. And Many Pre-Coiled Coils are 3mm also.

---

Completely Agree on doing Reviews as they come out of the box.

lanzenesi

Jan 24, 2016
Savona, Italy
Thanks @ddirtyvapes, nice review.

I've been using this little Atomizer as a daily driver since I bought it a couple of months ago with so much satisfaction that I eventually got a second, dressed in black. [emoji6]

What woke my interest in the first place had been the air system, very similar to what I was using on a Griffin: single coil, air from the bottom and from a side. It was giving me very good flavour and nice clouds, but was juice greedy.

I've found the Alto to be exactly what I expected.

I'm using it mainly in Temperature Control on a 3mm. ID with Ti A1 wire or, less often, SS316.

I've found coiling is easy and that that little ledge, odd as it may be, helps, provided coil tails are slightly curved upwards.

I've often wondered what claptons and the like could do, and after your suggestions, I think I will test these soon, too.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
@lanzenesi definitely try out some claptons! They've been working great, especially SS claptons in TC.

How funny that others are finding that ledge to not be an issue. I tried cramming in a 2.5mm fused and it simply wouldn't fit, but perhaps a thinner wrap wire would have done it. It sounds like 3mm claptons will fit. I just so rarely make 3mm coils these days; I prefer a smaller ID.

How are you finding it with the Ti? I don't tend to build with titanium but I'm curious how it's doing.

Thanks for the input and comments!

Reactions: lanzenesi

lanzenesi

Jan 24, 2016
Savona, Italy
It's a pleasure! [emoji5]️

I will try claptons. So far I've only got them in NiCr and Kanthal, so I'm planning to get TC complient SS and NiFe and experiment a bit.

Titanium works well. It's got a very good TC precision. Coils range from 0,35 to 0,45. It's good for a tasty and relaxed vape.

Steam Engine base setup

Initially I was a bit worried by possible oxidation, but then again the wire behaves well, and I feel when the mod is set up as best as possible, that there no reason, I hope, to concern.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Yes, that's part of what has me worried about Titanium, and the fire risk. I also am a big fan of SS already so I don't know if Ti will do anything new for me. I do realize they are different materials with their own pros and cons, of course. It's more that my limited experience with Ti factory heads doesn't have me running out to get any, but I'd probably enjoy it more in an RDA or RTA.

I want to try out some NiFe as well.

I threw a nichrome clapton in the alto early on; I'd easily recommend that while you're waiting to get some more wire unless you're trying to stick to just TC vapes or whatever. But that was one of the better coils I tossed in the alto IMO! None of them have been bad, though...

Reactions: lanzenesi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread