Would be awesome if I could actually find this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navarrator

Sep 3, 2013
Miami
So the 510 threads on my Vamo v2 are officially done with, and although I already ordered an innokin SVD as my replacement mod I thought of a solution in my head. What I'm searching for is an ego cone thread to 510 adapter. You see this would allow me to bypass my messed up 510 threads. The thing is , after scouring Google for this adapter all I ever come up with is the exact opposite, a 510 to ego cone thread adapter, which wouldn't solve my problem since the cone threads on my vamo work perfectly. Anybody out there happen to know where I could find one of these? Also, I guess I should mention that I tried buying an ecab (ego-c slim) to 510 adapter but to no avail as since it is a much smaller cone the threads are different from regular ego cone threads. Any help anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
So the 510 threads on my Vamo v2 are officially done with, and although I already ordered an Innokin SVD as my replacement mod I thought of a solution in my head. What I'm searching for is an ego cone thread to 510 adapter. You see this would allow me to bypass my messed up 510 threads. The thing is , after scouring Google for this adapter all I ever come up with is the exact opposite, a 510 to ego cone thread adapter, which wouldn't solve my problem since the cone threads on my vamo work perfectly. Anybody out there happen to know where I could find one of these? Also, I guess I should mention that I tried buying an ecab (ego-c slim) to 510 adapter but to no avail as since it is a much smaller cone the threads are different from regular ego cone threads. Any help anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated.

It MIGHT be possible to use a 510 to Ego and just torque it into the messed up 510 connector and get it to work....unless the existing 510 is just stripped.

With all of the snapped off and stripped/ruined 510 connection posts, I really wish everything would just go to eGo threading or at least something bigger than the tiny 510 thing.

shakeytails

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Kentucky, United States
Somebody definitely needs to make and mass produce something like this. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would buy a few!

Does anybody know what the 510 threads are? I'm thinking one might be able to visit a well supplied hardware store with a carto and find a match...

Found 'em. I know I googled this before and didn't find anything. And a source. I wonder if DH knows a machinist at work that might spend some time tinkering...

Last edited:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Somebody definitely needs to make and mass produce something like this. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would buy a few!

Does anybody know what the 510 threads are? I'm thinking one might be able to visit a well supplied hardware store with a carto and find a match...

Found 'em. I know I googled this before and didn't find anything. And a source. I wonder if DH knows a machinist at work that might spend some time tinkering...

Problem is you have to make it bigger to get that size back. Use an insert or some such. You can get Helicoil's in that size, but for the cost and effort to do it, is it worth it? https://www.google.com/search?q=7mm...hrome..69i57.19211j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    This might not be the answer to the OP, but someone was fitting these down inside a Vamo or something.
    air.jpg

Tank Airflow Controller

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 10, 2013
    W. Ma. U.S.A.
    Problem is you have to make it bigger to get that size back. Use an insert or some such. You can get Helicoil's in that size, but for the cost and effort to do it, is it worth it? https://www.google.com/search?q=7mm...hrome..69i57.19211j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Unless the threads are absolutely completely roasted, to the point that your would be removing mettle, you should be able to chase them with the same size tap. As soft as this mettle appears to be from the description, I would think you could chase them and save them. Seems like it would be worth the small expense of a tap (maybe borrow one to try it out) vs. the expense of a mod.

Edit: It would probably be a good idea to chase them as soon as they show any sign of getting wonky so you don't end up loosing them all together.

Last edited:

sawlight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    Unless the threads are absolutely completely roasted, to the point that your would be removing mettle, you should be able to chase them with the same size tap. As soft as this mettle appears to be from the description, I would think you could chase them and save them.

I disagree, as these are made of aluminum, the softest the Chinese can get ahold of it seems, you MIGHT be able to chase them and get a few uses out of them, but you are just prolonging the inevitable. Just tap them out and replace them with steel threads and be done! "Wood is good, but steel is ideal!" This is a machinist of 13yrs speaking, so I've dealt with one or two of these situations.
    It's metal BTW.

dmadsen

Aug 19, 2013
    Berea, KY, USA
    I've been looking at these posts, and got a wild hair to try to draw an adaptor up in AutoCAD. I believe an adaptor could be made, but repairing with a helicoil or KeenSert is out of the question. The 510 thread is actually a 7x0.5mm, and neither type of thread insert is made with this fine a thread. The smallest metric fine pitch helicoil is a 8x1mm. Also, whoever mentioned using a helicoil did not mention that you need a special tap (STI or Screw Thread Insert) to use a helicoil! This from a machinist of over 30 years! Oh... and a quick FYI... the eGo thread is a 12x0.5mm thread.

Train2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    This, if you could EVER find one in stock, is a good way to prevent the problem in the first place.
    I keep checking, as I plan to buy one - JUST IN CASE I eventually pick up a VAMO.
    This thing goes in and stays there, so you don't ever strip the VAMO's 510 threads. If these threads strip - it's just $3...

This might not be the answer to the OP, but someone was fitting these down inside a Vamo or something.
    View attachment 253414

Tank Airflow Controller

sawlight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    I've been looking at these posts, and got a wild hair to try to draw an adaptor up in AutoCAD. I believe an adaptor could be made, but repairing with a helicoil or KeenSert is out of the question. The 510 thread is actually a 7x0.5mm, and neither type of thread insert is made with this fine a thread. The smallest metric fine pitch helicoil is a 8x1mm. Also, whoever mentioned using a helicoil did not mention that you need a special tap (STI or Screw Thread Insert) to use a helicoil! This from a machinist of over 30 years! Oh... and a quick FYI... the eGo thread is a 12x0.5mm thread.

I mentioned it would have to be taken oversize, and the kits I linked to included the tap, at a cost of around $40, thus not making it a worthy option to begin with.

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Buford, Ga
    It just seems like such a shame to have to trash a device because of the threading. I would at least try to run a tap through there and see if maybe I could save it. And that's coming from a guy who once swapped out the engine on a '78 F150 under a maple tree in the back yard.:D

No sense in trashing it. Worst case scenario: pull the guts and make a box mod. Or a copper pipe mod. Or a beanie baby mod. The possibilities are nearly endless!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread