Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hill Giant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Providence
So, I'm planning on venturing into the world of rebuildable atomizers, and I'm hoping you lovely people can help me decide which to buy. I've ordered my 3mm wick and 32g wire.

Assume money is not a concern. I need something that travels well (can lay on it's side, upside down, etc) and holds a decent amount of juice (preferably 2.5 or more ml). I also like to switch juice up sometimes, so it can't be TOO bulky like an Odysseus, since I'd like to fit a couple of them in an ego case.

I've been using Vivi Novas up until now, but want to step up to something that's really designed for easy rebuilding. Plus I have giant sausage fingers, and working with those tiny Vivi Nova heads is going to be a nightmare :)

keenanmcfar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2012
ottawa
Id suggest the phoenix or the spheroid or the steam machine. If u like to switch juices they should be right on the money for not leaking, holding a reasonable amount and not too much etc. If you get the phoenix u can always places strategic filler to hold juice, just like. The others. Another advantage to this is it makes. The flavor stronger.

DeviantDe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2011
Sunnyside, Wa
www.facebook.com
I wish I had more info to help you Giant, I was just asking this question myself the other day and the response I got was "Get a DID" It uses mesh instead of silica wick, though you may be able to use that wick too, I don't really know. Good luck to you!

I picked up a RaTank in the classies, because I could actually afford it LOL and really wanted to get something to try out. I like it pretty well, though I wouldn't recommend trying to carry it in a pocket or anything as the top cap pops off quite easily. I've tried both the silica wick and the ss mesh wick and both seem to work out just fine for me.

The Hill Giant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Providence
I wish I had more info to help you Giant, I was just asking this question myself the other day and the response I got was "Get a DID" It uses mesh instead of silica wick, though you may be able to use that wick too, I don't really know. Good luck to you!

I picked up a RaTank in the classies, because I could actually afford it LOL and really wanted to get something to try out. I like it pretty well, though I wouldn't recommend trying to carry it in a pocket or anything as the top cap pops off quite easily. I've tried both the silica wick and the ss mesh wick and both seem to work out just fine for me.

Hey DD :D

It's funny that you say that. I actually was wondering if the DID can be used with silica wicks as well, and posted about it, but didn't get a response either. The world of RBAs is all new to me.

Thank you for all the replies so far. I think the DID and RATank look like more what I'm looking for so far.

Does anyone know if the DID can be used with silica? It doesn't look like it's designed for it, but what the hell do I know :D

Any other suggestions for options that allow the remaining juice quantity to be visible?

ricklynchcore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
Chicago, Il
Hey DD :D

It's funny that you say that. I actually was wondering if the DID can be used with silica wicks as well, and posted about it, but didn't get a response either. The world of RBAs is all new to me.

Thank you for all the replies so far. I think the DID and RATank look like more what I'm looking for so far.

Does anyone know if the DID can be used with silica? It doesn't look like it's designed for it, but what the hell do I know :D

Any other suggestions for options that allow the remaining juice quantity to be visible?

I don't know if silca would work in my DID, but why would I even consider trying? SS Mesh, simply put, is wonderful!! Clean wicking, reusable, superb flavor, easy to burn and clean, and just about every other positive adjective I can think of. Don't be fearful of conversation about the difficulty of oxidation, truly it is simple, and coupled with a remarkable device like the DID, makes for an unbeatable vaping experience. I've used every possible type of atty, including silca, cotton, cheesecloth, carts, tanks, and dripping, in my opinion, nothing has beat the DID.
Btw, kir fanis makes clear tank for did, and dct 4.5 mil tanks fit. The Kir tank is on the DID website.
Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

DeviantDe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2011
Sunnyside, Wa
www.facebook.com
I don't know if silca would work in my DID, but why would I even consider trying? SS Mesh, simply put, is wonderful!! Clean wicking, reusable, superb flavor, easy to burn and clean, and just about every other positive adjective I can think of. Don't be fearful of conversation about the difficulty of oxidation, truly it is simple, and coupled with a remarkable device like the DID, makes for an unbeatable vaping experience. I've used every possible type of atty, including silca, cotton, cheesecloth, carts, tanks, and dripping, in my opinion, nothing has beat the DID.
Btw, kir fanis makes clear tank for did, and dct 4.5 mil tanks fit. The Kir tank is on the DID website.

I found that the oxidation was the easiest part of the whole mesh wick setup LOL
Of course I made the u-shaped wick for my RATank, which was a PITA, so a straight one may be far easier :D

DeviantDe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2011
Sunnyside, Wa
www.facebook.com
I've posted that question in another thread Giant, hopefully they will answer so we'll know! I'll get back to you when I hear back.

Here's the 1st response so far...
I don't have a DID, but I think it would be technically possible, though probably a pain to set up. Another option is to un-braid the silica wick and use it to wrap the mesh. Doing it this way you could even go without oxidizing the mesh as long as your coils were all on silica. I've been doing the cotton thread wrapped on mesh thing for my GTUS and it's working well for me, no shorts and far fewer dry hits.

I have seen some videos on the wrap, looks simple enough. And that way you can still use some of your current wick

ricklynchcore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
Chicago, Il
Looks like I'm ordering some SS mesh and learning how to make SS wicks :)

If you choice turns toward the did, go to euro suppliers forum here on ecf, then to the manufacturers thread on the did. Everything you could possibly think of is covered, and the first post contains an index to answer all questions from wick and coil building to very helpful user advice.

keenanmcfar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2012
ottawa
Yes, a silica or even cotton wick is doable with a did or any genny.you would probably get better results from the mesh, but definitely doable with cotton/silica so long as you can find the right size stuff. Its all about pore size and distribution when it comes to wicking and its easier to judge that with mesh.

Thought ratank would be too big for you but now that i know its not, i can certainly vouch for its awesomeness. I own one and love it. Its probs the most versatile rba out there. I have mine on 'drip mode' atm since i just started diy'ing my juice and need to test many times a day!

frequentj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
What about the Penelope? It uses silica wick. Personally, after using ss mesh, I can't imagine using anything else. I have a def con and a DID. Obviously, the DID is nicer than the def con, but it costs twice as much (still well worth it), but they both get the job done. If you are thinking about getting your feet wet with a genny, try a $55 def con. If you love it, buy a DID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread