Would vapor damage/kill/prevent regeneration of celia in trachea/bronchii?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubd1c3

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2010
Michigan
Celia are tiny hairs that transport mucus and particles up through the bronchii and windpipe. When you smoke analogs, you paralyze the celia, cause it to become brittle, eventually kill it. This leads to... problems.

When you quit smoking, with some luck the celia will begin to regrow and regain function.

I'm doing some research and I'm looking for more info on vaping with regards to celia. Is there any reason to believe vaping causes harm here?

Another way to look at this question is why does smoking analogs kill celia? Could the same thing happen with vaping?

I've been under the impression that my celia has been healing and regrowing since I switched to vaping. I'm trying to substantiate this.

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
Dunno, but I DO wonder what effect it has on our teeth. Ive had some pretty serious cracks appear lately, but I was also in a VERY serious motor vehicle accident 6 yrs back and I know I cracked some teeth then. Could it be the smaller cracks are just widening and showing up now? Maybe, but I DO wonder if vaping has any effects on our teeth....

Grenage

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Celia are tiny hairs that transport mucus and particles up through the bronchii and windpipe. When you smoke analogs, you paralyze the celia, cause it to become brittle, eventually kill it. This leads to... problems.

When you quit smoking, with some luck the celia will begin to regrow and regain function.

I'm doing some research and I'm looking for more info on vaping with regards to celia. Is there any reason to believe vaping causes harm here?

Another way to look at this question is why does smoking analogs kill celia? Could the same thing happen with vaping?

I've been under the impression that my celia has been healing and regrowing since I switched to vaping. I'm trying to substantiate this.

I don't think there has been any research into this, but my guess is that it's unlikely, but possible. Apparently PG breaks down to lactic acid, which is a very weak acid; I don't know if it breaks down to lactic acid in the lungs, but apparently it does in the stomach.

The fact that many people who smoked and moved over to vaping ended up coughing up nasty stuff is encouraging, and would (in my opinion) point to little or no celia damage. I am not a doctor, and have no medical training or background.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Type in "nicotine paralyzes cilia" in the Google search box. Hmmm. Lots of hits.

Type in "tar paralyzes cilia" in that box. Lots of hits. Even more hits.

At one point, trying to answer the very question you pose, I read many of the sources of those hits. And I did not come away with a conclusive answer. There didn't seem to be a compromise position, either.

The "tar" forces say tar coats the cilia, killing the little hair-like brooms. It flattens them with its poisons and sheer weight. The nicotine side says the chemical paralyzes the cilia as it passes over them on the way to the depths of the lungs. With repeated paralysis, they "fall and they can't get up."

If nicotine is the culprint, inhaling nicotine vapor won't spare the cilia. Many here have reported improved lung function, however, so vaping appears to be much healthier than inhaling tobacco smoke. I, however, have returned to a steady, non-productive cough after two and one-half years of inhaling vapor. Dr. Jim Loi of Malaysia also has reported cough and phlegm production as problems for his e-smoking test subjects.

I'd say a definitive answer is not available for your question. Like you, I'd sure like one.

W Axl Rose

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Iowa
Just a thought TBOB. I know you go through a lot of stonewalls. They give me a non productive cough. Well, sometimes I cough up throat slime, but nothing from the lungs. I'm not saying vaping doesn't cause coughing (it did in me, as well as sob, which is why I quit) but stonewalls do it to me too. Even if I only have one or two a day. Sucks for me because I REALLY stocked up on them!

skydragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Mountain Cave
Dunno, but I DO wonder what effect it has on our teeth. Ive had some pretty serious cracks appear lately, but I was also in a VERY serious motor vehicle accident 6 yrs back and I know I cracked some teeth then. Could it be the smaller cracks are just widening and showing up now? Maybe, but I DO wonder if vaping has any effects on our teeth....

Hey ctj,

I have been wondering the same thing. I had a bridge come loose that had been very snug before I started vaping. Then the molar underneath it cracked so it had to be removed. So, I too wonder if it is having an affect on our teeth.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
This is purely from my own PoV but - since I gave up smoking and started vaping Ive noticed my allergies (hay fever actually) are worse. If the cilia in my nose were in the same state as while smoking surely my allergies would be the same? Im not a hugely allergic person btw but I moved to the US from the UK and you have a bunch of plants here that I havent become acclimatised to, which is why i get the allergies. When i first came here I noticed the odd tickle but nothing bad, now Im always sneezing unless it just rained. Its only been like this for this current year - previous years summer gave me no issues (or tissues! lol). I do use the Neti pot an that helps enormously, which Im wondering if it would have any affect if my nasal cilia were 'paralysed'.
Obviously Im not doing a research project on my own nose here but its just something Ive noticed.

Chameloid

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
Rura Penthe
No I have the same amount annoyingly as when smoking. The only change has been sneezing, and eye irritation, which while smoking only the sun (or illness) would make me sneeze. Now its the sun, illness AND pollen.

CaptJay - I wouldn't go by this year as a "norm" (or blame the vaping). This is one of the worst years for allergens in many years - at least on the east coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread