Would you feel more confident vaping in public if there were others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Home
My lady and I were vaping at an Aussie agricultural show last weekend and had 6 policemen in kilts looking sideways at us for a couple of minutes, hehehe. They didn't say anything but we could tell they were suspicious. Later we were stuck on a chairlift ride which broke down and had a couple of people walk under us who cheered and yelled at us "Good on ya, love it!" We're pretty sure they thought we were smoking something other than tobacco rather than vaping. =D
We never see other people vaping. It definitely would be relaxing if everyone knew about it, even if there weren't more doing it.

Ardo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Tallinn, Estonia
I'll vape where it's appropriate whether there's others or not, but there is strength in numbers. I think if those that are more timid see another vaper they may be more comfortable to break out the PV.

That's what I think. People generally don't like to be first or the only ones out there doing something that hasn't been done before. But if there's a good examples from soneone else, or other people are doing the same thing, it makes them more confident. Sort of having a safety net. The more vapers there are, the more we see them coming out. Eventually, the more vapers come out, the faster society gets used to vaping, the more chance we have to fight for our rights with those ignorant bstrds around us.

Ardo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Tallinn, Estonia
My lady and I were vaping at an Aussie agricultural show last weekend and had 6 policemen in kilts looking sideways at us for a couple of minutes, hehehe. They didn't say anything but we could tell they were suspicious. Later we were stuck on a chairlift ride which broke down and had a couple of people walk under us who cheered and yelled at us "Good on ya, love it!" We're pretty sure they thought we were smoking something other than tobacco rather than vaping. =D
We never see other people vaping. It definitely would be relaxing if everyone knew about it, even if there weren't more doing it.

Yup, it just takes time. We need to speed things up though.

TechJ

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2012
Alaska
I vape openly whenever I see fit. Mostly in my truck while driving, occasionally in places smoking isn't allowed. I vape all day at work. I get ribbed by my smoking co workers. Those same co workers support my alternative because it "keeps me off the cigarettes". That said I do use discretion of when and where I vape as to avoid negative reactions, to help eliminate negative publicity on my part.
I do get strange and some negative reactions from people in traffic. I just smile and vape to my hearts content.

cwolfman13

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2012
New Mexico
I guess it depends on what you mean by vaping in "public." I vape in "public" all of the time...walking down the street, driving in my car, etc. I've even vaped in some places where smoking is otherwise prohibited...that said, they've primarily been open air venues like our International Balloon Fiesta currently taking place in Albuquerque, the ball game, concerts, etc.

With two youngsters at home, I don't get out to the bar much these days, but I'm sure I wouldn't have any problems vaping there either. Now, restaurants, stores, etc...that's another story. Honestly, I just haven't felt comfortable enough to do it. It's not so much that I'm "ashamed" or anything...actually, I'm rather proud that I'm smoke free and I've made a better decision. I think it's more psychological...having been a smoker for so long, and having smoking be outlawed in public and private facilities here for so long, it's just a psychological hump I have to get over.

For example, when I'm at a restaurant or something...I pretty much instictively put in my order and then tell my wife I'm going to step outside for a couple minutes and head for the door. She's like, "can't you use that thing in here?" Well, I guess I could...but yeah...to be honest, I feel a bit weird in those types of environments with everyone looking at me. Would it be different if I saw another vaper doing it? Most likely....It's only been a couple weeks for me, and I guess I'm still gaining my confidence.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I don't vape ALL the Time in public ...
Didn't smoke all the time either.

What is amusing is my daughter ... Vapes EVERYWHERE All the Time
and NO ONE ... Not even 1 person has even suggested that she shouldn't.
She's a daddy's girl ... With an Attitude ... Guess the public reads her body language well
and avoids the pain.
:p

Ardo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Tallinn, Estonia
I don't vape ALL the Time in public ...
Didn't smoke all the time either.

What is amusing is my daughter ... Vapes EVERYWHERE All the Time
and NO ONE ... Not even 1 person has even suggested that she shouldn't.
She's a daddy's girl ... With an Attitude ... Guess the public reads her body language well
and avoids the pain.
:p

haha. Well, there you go. That's the spirit! :)

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
From all replies, it sounds like we should be seeing vapers all the time and everywhere, but we don't. What's stopping them??
Good Question ...
Just guessing most are just way way way too self-conscious
about what strangers might think or say
:ohmy: :(

I found the older ya are the less likely you are to care
what strangers might think or say.

I'm well over 60 and survived Viet-Nam ...
I couldn't care less what strangers might think
of me vaping

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Yeah, self-confidence comes with experience. Good to hear that there people like you out there.

I find that self-confidence comes from being either too tired to care anymore or too bored with the drama to care anymore. I'll be 56 in two days, and many fears have fallen away over the years from just not caring anymore about the stupid stuff. It's not worth the energy.

And, yes, I would be more comfortable if others vaped in public. But, I do it anyway! In public, I use an Ego battery - not a cig-a-like that someone might think is a cigarette and not a big, intimidated mod that might scare people. No hassles so far. I vape in the grocery store, in the mall, in my car, wherever I happen to be.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
Took the family out for an evening at one of our local attractions and vaped at different points throughout- twice I was pulled aside by security. The first was very kindly informing me that smoking was not allowed, but once I pulled out my PV and explained what it was all about, he could find no reason to deny me from vaping and wished us a good evening.
The second security guard pulled me aside because guard #1 called him on the radio and told him that there was another "vaper" on the premises and he should stop me to check out my setup. Turns out he was a recent convert to vaping and was not getting the results he wanted (510 stick batts, pre-filled carts) so he was thinking about switching back to cigs. I have him a couple of spare cartos I had with me and a 3ml bottle of juice, as well as some battery recommendations and my cell # in case he had any more questions. 20 minutes after we got home, I get a text from him saying he just ordered his setups and couldn't thank me enough for saving him from the cigs.
Long story short- had I been overly concerned about my vaping in public, I would have never been able to help a fellow cig quitter to stay off the smokies. I am proud to vape, proud of my gadgets, and proud to share what little knowledge I have with anyone who is interested- be it alone or not!

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
Took the family out for an evening at one of our local attractions and vaped at different points throughout- twice I was pulled aside by security. The first was very kindly informing me that smoking was not allowed, but once I pulled out my PV and explained what it was all about, he could find no reason to deny me from vaping and wished us a good evening.
The second security guard pulled me aside because guard #1 called him on the radio and told him that there was another "vaper" on the premises and he should stop me to check out my setup. Turns out he was a recent convert to vaping and was not getting the results he wanted (510 stick batts, pre-filled carts) so he was thinking about switching back to cigs. I have him a couple of spare cartos I had with me and a 3ml bottle of juice, as well as some battery recommendations and my cell # in case he had any more questions. 20 minutes after we got home, I get a text from him saying he just ordered his setups and couldn't thank me enough for saving him from the cigs.
Long story short- had I been overly concerned about my vaping in public, I would have never been able to help a fellow cig quitter to stay off the smokies. I am proud to vape, proud of my gadgets, and proud to share what little knowledge I have with anyone who is interested- be it alone or not!

This is the reason we need to be respectfully visible. I got chased down in a parking lot by a guy with a crappy disposable who didn't know of anything else available. I didn't have anything to spare on me at the moment, but he got an ECF card and some vendors I use.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
This is the reason we need to be respectfully visible. I got chased down in a parking lot by a guy with a crappy disposable who didn't know of anything else available. I didn't have anything to spare on me at the moment, but he got an ECF card and some vendors I use.

Which is still just as awesome! I feel like there aren't enough people in the world to genuinely look out for others, and we need to start somewhere.
I can't recall ever giving a smoker anything more than a lighter or a cig..... "Okay- here's your coffin nail- you need a hammer too?"
I can say that -looking back- I actually feel pretty crappy about it, but now that I feel like I have the opportunity to help others in my same prior situation, my karma is starting to balance out.
Keep on supporting each other, the vets and the noobs, and we will all get through the tough (and good) times together!
"When we learn to relate to others instead of compare, every person we encounter becomes our teacher"
-Lisa Villa Prosen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread