The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Would you recommend the Provari to a noob if they were OK with spending that much up front?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Dana A, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Dana A

Dana A Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Iowa
    My answer is yes. I wish someone had recommended it to me in the beginning. I wasted SO much money and so many nic fits getting there. I recommend the twist if someone isn't ready for a big mod or price tag yet. I break on average 2 drip tips a week because I drop my Provari all the time but I never question weather or not it will work when I pick it back up because it just always does. For me that piece of mind is priceless. I think everyone should start out with VV to increse their chances at success. What's your opinion?

2. uba egar320

uba egar320 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2009
    WV
    Idk

I guess if someone wanted a really nice pv right off the bat, then sure.

But there are so many other devices out there. I don't see any of the pv's I've had as a waste. I knew what I was getting....and to me, trying out new stuff keeps vaping "fun" lol.

3. Commie

Commie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 28, 2012
    Michigan
    Sorry, nope :) Some people, including myself, don't like the form factor. The functionality and durability is very nice, but I would recommend trying a few different cheaper mods first until they find what they like.

For example, after a few months of trying, I found out that I prefer bottom feeders.

And if they do like the form factor, there are mods that allow for VW, which a lot of people like.

I'm not dissing on provari, it's a very nice mod, definitely one of the best. Just not for everybody.

4. uba egar320

Dec 9, 2009
    WV
    From everything I've read, that seems to be the case.

Another problem I would have that I forgot to mention though, is it's too expensive to have a second one(imo)...at least right off the bat anyhow. That's always been a big point of mine when suggesting a pv...backup backup backup. Leave town, or go out with one pv and the pv gremlin will get ya. Then you're screwed lol.

5. Commie

Mar 28, 2012
    Michigan
    Yep, one definitely should have a backup. In the dark ages, if I ran out of cigarettes, I could always pick up an overpriced pack from a gas station. Can't do that now, so I leave an old ego with a charger in my glove box and the same in my drawer at work. It's not a provari (or reo in my case), but it will do if something is wrong with my primary PV

6. Duranu

Duranu Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 5, 2012
    Illinois, USA
    There's a lot of factors to consider, other than just being a "noob."

Are they a geek and/or tinkerer (like me) who might appreciate all the things that a Provari could do? Do they just like something extremely simple to use and don't like having to worry about different voltages and/or delivery systems (tanks, clearos, cartos)?

Too many variables that need to be factored in.

For someone just starting out and not knowing what they like yet, I would most likely NOT recommend a Provari until they've had a chance to use at least a couple other things. For someone like that, I'd probably recommend an eGo or eGo type battery with various tanks/clearos/cartos to try until they start to get an idea as to what they enjoy the most or find themselves lacking.

7. uba egar320

Dec 9, 2009
    WV
    I heard that. You only have to go without a pv one time at work before you throw an extra something or another in the glove box just in case lol. No nicotine makes for a long ... work day!

8. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    IMO you didn't waste a dime. If nothing else you found a 1,000 ways not to make a light bulb, and I think that is an important part of the learning curve. Then a person is capable of finding a 1,000 ways that they can make a light bulb, instead of just one way.
    Sure, the person that buys a Provari is able to have a great vape right off the bat, but (and it's a huge but) would they have the knowledge base that would allow them to get a great vape from any PV that they were handed?

9. Riverboat

Riverboat Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Arizona
    I have in the past... The Veterans gave me alot of flack about my Provairi recommendation for a noob..lol
    If you can afford it...yes.... Otherwise mabey a ego twist....VV is the way to go...IMO

10. volume control

volume control Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 2, 2012
    Mass
    Most beginners are looking for an easy transition from analogs, which are tiny/lightweight. Id rather recommend a cigalike that has some decent power and be sure to steer them clear of cheapies and overpriced garbage. V4L or V2 kr808s are a nice step for a beginner imo. I have no interest in any PV devices personally, if someone handed me a Provari and was like try this instead of cigs id laugh at them.

11. donnah

donnah Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Only if they were serious about vaping, could afford it and I was right beside them showing them how to work it.

12. gimmicked

gimmicked Full Member Verified Member

Nov 24, 2012
    PA
    I started vaping a few weeks ago. Bought my eGo twist and vaped it for a week.

Started reading various forums and watching youtube videos, and noticed everyone kept using the same device. Said screw it and got it. My friend is about to start vaping, just is trying to collect the funds and I suggested he save the money I wasted on the ego and jump straight into something better.

13. Commie

Mar 28, 2012
    Michigan
    That depends on your ulterior motives. If they're not serious and end up not vaping, you get to inherit a provari :)

14. mwa102464

mwa102464 Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

15. Absintheur

Absintheur Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    north central Indiana
    As has been said by others before I advised someone to drop that amount of cash I would want to be sure they would be happy with that style and size of PV. I like box mods as much as I do tube mods and I like side button as well as bottom buttons but many folks like one much better than another. For others the variable part really doesn't do much, I know folks who have fallen in love with fixed 5 volt regulated and 3 ohm attys or cartos in tanks and just stick with that.

My first purchase after the cig-a-likes was a ProVari. I knew I wanted more than the cig-a-likes were giving and given a choice I will buy the best first and at the time the ProVari was the best available...still is in many ways. If I knew the big tube would be ok with the new user and knew they wanted to try LR, SR, and HR coils as well as trying to dial in for different juices then yes...I would recommend a ProVari. Otherwise I would suggest some cheaper mods in various styles to find out what they wanted. If they were a friend of mine I would probably let them borrow some of mine to try for a few days.

16. Tonytiger1

Tonytiger1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 22, 2012
    Houston
    We are all so different I prefer a low ohm warm vape. Provari cant do that. Mechanical mods for me.
    Provari needs to fix the press fit top cap. Small flaw I see. [​IMG]

Tony

17. DEVO357

DEVO357 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    lost Angeles
    I made the noob decision to buy one all on my own when I first started lol
    Yes I would recommend it to someone new that could at least understand the basic mechanics of a PV, without "any" knowledge of how a basic system works than I feel it would be a waste of money.
    A solid system is a good investment and the decision should be based on that, not the fact that its a provari. I mean lets face it you are going to drop $$$ no matter what so why not just start with something quality even if its not a provari.

18. Commie

Mar 28, 2012
    Michigan
    How does that coil not make your lungs a-splode?! What resistance is that?

19. Tonytiger1

Tonytiger1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 22, 2012
    Houston
    Lol. See for me. I don't like taking a primer hit or a 10 second drag. 3-5 second drag.
    It's about 1.0 ohm. Great vape.
    I usually run a 2/3 wrap. Sometimes a 1/2. Not much different.
    [​IMG]

Tony

20. yzer

yzer Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
    Only if the noob told me he/she was willing to pay $200 for a e-cigarette first.

Provari isn't the only APV that will last and last, American-made or not. My Chinese-made Smoktech E-Power 14650 proves that. A starter kit cost me $45 and I've been using it since November 2011.

I have enough spare parts for two additional E-Power 14650s, but never used them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.