Wow is there ever a lot to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

kariM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Lethbridge, AB, CA
Ok I am pretty new to this vaping. I just decided to "play around" with this to see if it would actually work about 3 weeks ago. Found this forum a little over a week ago and have been reading ever since. Wow - so much to take in.

I went into this just to explore and not really with the intent to quit smoking haha. However, I have managed to cut down from 1PAD to only 2/3 and based on my reading this is without using the type of equipment that will really get me there.

Of course when I started - I wanted it to be just like a real cigarette. So I have been using an ePuffer Colibri and for the most part it has been working ok. Of course with all my reading I have discovered that there are much better options that will give better vapor, flavor and for sure a lot less issues with battery life.

So now I just have to figure out what to order to get me started. At this point I am thinking of going with an eGo Twist - probably the 650 because I think I will need some more time to get used to anything bigger. Still not sure I understand all the different juice dispensing methods and what I will even want - but I do know that it needs to be simple and not a lot of messing around - at least for now.

So - please let me know if I am way off in my thinking that this is a good device to start with. Now back to more reading. :unsure:

Standpoint

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2011
South St. Paul, MN
If you are still looking for a cigarette looking one, I recommend Smokeless Image's Volt. Works really well and is highly reviewed here. Great cartos for it that are super easy to refill, and IMO last longer than many other brands. They also seem to have more sales than other vendors, so you can often get a really good price on it - note that for Thanksgiving/black friday/cyber monday, you should score a good deal then.

I also highly recommend the eGo twist. I recently bought one and it has renewed my interest in 510 threaded devices. Build quality seems higher than my two year old Joyetech eGos. It is a natural 'next step' from a cig lookalike. As far as what to attach to it, I'm not sure - I like the Vivi Nova, and the CE3 and CE5 clearomizers, but they aren't that simple and often need tweaking or maintenence to run at their best.

I've personally been looking between the Provari or going back to cig look alikes to replace my aging gear, so...........

GreenEyesDon'tLie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
MD, USA
Another vote here for Smokeless Image. I quit (completely unintentionally) the day I got my Volt kit. Even though they're cig-a-likes, they produce vapor on par with a lot of bigger batteries. They also have the X2 batteries, which are their version of the eGo, if you wanted to try something a bit bigger.

If you want something simple that you don't have to mess around with, they have that covered. They focus on supplying beginner to intermediate vapers, so they don't carry anything you would need to spend time tweaking. The cartos are great, and the Nano clearos work well on either style of battery.

The eGo Twist would probably be great too, there must be a reason everyone loves it. I'm planning on picking one up soon myself to check it out.

kariM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Lethbridge, AB, CA
Well I actually do think I am past that it needs to be like a cigarette - but just in case I don't want to go to big :p

My intent - well I think I was actually hoping that I would love it so much that I would just quit smoking. I actually do think I will get there - but I am not putting the - you will quit - pressure on myself at this time. Figured for now I need to find what I like and that works for me first.

I will take a look at the Volt - and continue reading.

Thanks all.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The Twist would make a nice start. Two would be even nicer. ;) You'll find that we experienced vapors have learned that you always need a backup battery, to use while the other charges or should one die on you. You don't need any reason to have to buy a pack of cigarettes to satisfy a nicotine craving while waiting for a battery to recharge...it's happened to me.

You'll need the 2 eGo Twist batteries, a Twist charger, and an USB/AC wall converter. Altsmoke is a trusted vendor with great customer service and fast delivery who supplies genuine Joye eGo Twists. AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | Your one stop shop!

Next you need to choose what juice carrier/heating coil attachments you want to use. There are clearomizers, cartomizers, ce3's, cartotanks, vivi nova tanks, and others to choose from. All hold the e-liquid and heat it with heating coils to produce vapor, but each do it in a slightly different way, and some people find one type of attachment preferable to others. Only trying them yourself can you decide which will be best for you.

I made a blog on all of the more common attachments, but new ECF members do not have full access to some posts, so I will link directly to my entry here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...4-proper-terminology-carto-tank-what-lol.html

I would say the clearomizers or cartomizers are the easiest to use initially. The mini viva nova tanks might also be a good choice, too. I recommend going to YouTube and searching for demo videos on how to fill each of those three devices and making a decision on what to try first. Once you've got some hands-on experience with your gear, you may want to try a cartotank.

I'm a strong believer that finding a couple of good ejuice flavors are as important in the beginning as having good beginner gear. Choose juice with 18mg nicotine judging from your 1 ppd habit. I'd recommend buying some sampler packs from two or three different juice vendors to avoid wasting money on large bottles that you may not like. Once you find some flavors that you like, order more in larger bottles.

I'll recommend a couple of my favorite vendors that offer sampler packs to get you started. Don't feel pressure to order from here, I have no affiliation with them. Figure on using 3-5 ml of juice daily. It generally takes at least a week for a juice order to reach your mailbox, so figure time appropriately so that you never run out...same as those batteries.

Organically Flavored E-liquid | Virgin Vapor | Electronic Cigarette Organic e-Liquid | Electronic Cigarettes

Vaperite | E Liquid Flavors and Organic E Cigarette Liquid

The Smokeless Image products recommended above are also nice. They are what I started out on. The cigarette sized batteries generally become tiresome to keep changing batteries every 3-4 hours, but if that is what will best get you started because of appearance, go for it. The larger x2 batteries that they sell are nearly identical to the eGo batteries I recommended above, but use a different threading and are not variable voltage. The Smokeless Image gear uses 808 threading, the eGo's use 510 threading.

x2battery.jpg Smokeless Image battery size comparisons.jpg
Smokeless Image Volt X2 in 3 sizes // size comparison of cigarette, two mini sizes, and three X2's

The mah rating of batteries give estimate time of battery use: 100 mah = 1 hour use
650 mah = 6.5 hours, 900 mah = 9 hours, 1300 mah = 13 hours

Last edited:

kariM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Lethbridge, AB, CA
The Twist would make a nice start. Two would be even nicer. ;) You'll find that we experienced vapors have learned that you always need a backup battery, to use while the other charges or should one die on you. You don't need any reason to have to buy a pack of cigarettes to satisfy a nicotine craving while waiting for a battery to recharge...it's happened to me.

View attachment 152425 View attachment 152426

Nice to hear that I am not heading to far off on choosing the Twist. I agree I would need 2 - have already discovered what happens when you don't have a charged battery :(

Since I am in Canada - I am still a little concerned about ordering from a US based vendor - haven't finished reading all the info in the Canadian Forum - but I will get there.

I have watched a number of YouTube videos already - just enough probably to get myself all confused :oops: Thanks for the advice - especially on the nicotine strength and on getting juice samples. Definitely that much does make sense so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread